Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hendriks

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hendriks

I've seen several outings like this from Hendriks. I thought he threw a number of good pitches, but the Tribe wailed on his mistakes. Cleveland seemed very comfortable and confident when batting against Hendriks. I don't know if he has to change speeds more, or work in and out more, but when he hit his spots, he was fine.

Any major league pitcher who hits his spots is fine. His problem is, and always has been, that he consistently misses his spots. Him and swarzak need to be flip flopped.

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    He needs to go, had enough chances.
    This whole organization needs to toughen up and stop nursing players!
    Been a fan since the Twins arrived and have not go to a ballgame this year, as I wont spend my money on this team! And that's a first for me.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is 24, how has he run out of chances? I don't see how a guy like him can dominate in AAA and get hammered as bad as he has in the MLB. He was very hittable yesterday. I hope they continue to give him the ball until the end of the year. This just wasn't a very good performance.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I think they'll keep running him out there, which they should. I'm not overly hopeful, but they certainly have the need and opportunity to give him the rest of this season at least.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Verlander just gave up 6 runs and 10 hits to a bad hitting Twins team. It happens. Hendriks was mostly in control of his pitches. Sometimes they hit his mistakes. Sometimes good hitters hit good pitches. If there was ever a year to test Hendriks, this is the year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    Verlander just gave up 6 runs and 10 hits to a bad hitting Twins team. It happens. Hendriks was mostly in control of his pitches. Sometimes they hit his mistakes. Sometimes good hitters hit good pitches. If there was ever a year to test Hendriks, this is the year.
    Except Verlander has dozens and dozens of superbly pitched games to bolster his pitching resume. Hedricks doesn't have those. This comparison doesn't really hold any water.

P.S. I don't really like Hendricks as a starting pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    He is 24, how has he run out of chances? I don't see how a guy like him can dominate in AAA and get hammered as bad as he has in the MLB. He was very hittable yesterday. I hope they continue to give him the ball until the end of the year. This just wasn't a very good performance.
    Probably because hitters in Triple-A are not as good as hitters in MLB. He can get away with mistakes and borderline pitches easier there. We've seen this before. My guess is that the scouting report on him by other teams is: "He makes mistakes. Be patient and you'll get your pitch to hit."

He also seemed to lose confidence yesterday. The first couple of innings he had a lot of first pitch strikes and was usually ahead in the count. After he gave up those 2 homers, he began throwing mostly first-pitch balls and was pitching behind.

That said, I also would like to see him start the rest of the year. Then we can decide in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerr View Post
    He needs to go, had enough chances.
    Been a fan since the Twins arrived and have not go to a ballgame this year, as I wont spend my money on this team! And that's a first for me.
    I've been feeling the same. A fan since Year One. No games this year! And I want to believe in Hendriks, but don't even know if he can long-relief his way onto the staff.

He didn't dominate this year at Rochester (who, amazingly, have pulled off their year with the in-and-out pitching staff they have).

I'm not sure who will be pitching up here in September. I hate the thought of giving mroe starts to pelfry if you aren't keeping him. I wish Correia would be claimed on waivers and give us that salary back for next year. But who do we have in the minors: Diamond, Hernandez and an about to be shutdown Gibson. Maybe May can come up and throw some starter innings (let Hendriks wallow in relief). The other guys, Meyer and such, won't be added to the 40-man until November.

Hey, even though they have been dismal this year, I would advance DeVries and Hermsen to the roster in September and see if there is anything that should keep them on the 40-man, or even in the organization, once they get major league meal money, see the stage in Target Field, and make a decision on how they want to be a major league pitcher.

Biggest disappointments this year: DeVries, who all but sewed up a rotation spot, only to go down with an arm injury. And Mastro and Benson, both of whom had every opportunity to steal centerfield away from Hicks. Instead, we are stuck with Clete Thomas, who is and has gone nowhere.

Seriously, part of what will keep me away from September games is that I don;t need to see guys who won't be on the roster next year being mediocre on the field. I would rather see rookies of some promise do the same.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Joel's sentiment, but I don't totally agree on Hendriks. At 24, I think he deserves another look before being cast aside. This year in Rochester, Hendriks pitched injured at least part of the year. He had a few outstanding starts as of late. I, too, am sick of seeing Bernier (starting today), Thomas, Ramirez, and to a lesser extent Doumit. At the rate Rochester is going lately, we may see any call-ups the day after Labor Day. I would hope that it is guys who have a chance of being useful going forward.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    If I'm doing my math right, Hendriks has faced around 500 MLB batters and most of those were prior to age 24. I'm not saying he's going to be great, but he deserves a much longer look.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not see Hendriks as a long term solution. September starts will not make a difference, since many of the teams the Twins will see are conducting auditons also and Hendriks has gotten many of the AAA hitters out. I would rather see the Twins throw Pressley into the rotation and see how he does. Give Hendriks one more change in the spring and then, if he does not make it, expect to lose him at the end of next year. At least he will help Rochester.

Twins games a waste of time and money

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    he needs to go, had enough chances.
    Been a fan since the twins arrived and have not go to a ballgame this year, as i wont spend my money on this team! And that's a first for me.
    "ditto"

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerboy View Post
    "ditto"
    Moderator note: Maybe this goes without saying, but please make sure the discussion stays focused on Liam Hendriks since that is the topic the original poster chose to write about, and not veer off onto the state of the Twins generally.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator note: Maybe this goes without saying, but please make sure the discussion stays focused on Liam Hendriks since that is the topic the original poster chose to write about, and not veer off onto the state of the Twins generally.
    Ditto.

/slinks back into corner

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see the org to keep Hendricks starting for the rest of the year. What's the harm?
    He will have a chance to prove himself. If he grabs the chance, great. If not, that's fine.
    Its not like there is a lot of options anyway, so I don't see the harm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    I can't see Hendriks salvaging a career with the Twins. He clearly has relegated himself to AAA for next year and there are just too many on their way up.

I guess we have to wait a month until we hear Ryan proclaim "I'll get ___ pitchers for 2014!" But any FA signed have an automatic position in the rotation. There has to be at least one lefty, Deduno (barring injury) is a lock, Pelfrey is likely extended given his recent performances (and health!), and a full handful of minor leaguers (plus Swarzak?) vieing for maybe one spot. Sorry Liam, it's not looking good for you.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I can't see Hendriks salvaging a career with the Twins. He clearly has relegated himself to AAA for next year and there are just too many on their way up.

I guess we have to wait a month until we hear Ryan proclaim "I'll get ___ pitchers for 2014!" But any FA signed have an automatic position in the rotation. There has to be at least one lefty, Deduno (barring injury) is a lock, Pelfrey is likely extended given his recent performances (and health!), and a full handful of minor leaguers (plus Swarzak?) vieing for maybe one spot. Sorry Liam, it's not looking good for you.
    You forgot Gibson and Correia. My guess the rotation is Correia, FA (could be Pelf), Gibson, Lefty, Deduno. At AAA there will be a fight to the death for rotation spots. May, Meyer, Dean, Darnell, Worley, AAAA Fodder. In fact after writing that I'm not convinced they're going to sign anyone to bolster the rotation. Who is the best lefty on the FA market this season?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More Pelfrey talk. Why on earth will/should they re-sign Pelfrey instead of ACTUALLY just letting Hendriks pitch? Pelfrey has pitched as poorly as he ever has (really has been consistently bad his whole career), turns 30 in January and will have already fleeced the team for $3.5 million ($4 million minus the $500K for a just as good if not better replacement). There is no justification, on any planet, to resign Pelfrey at all.

Gibson, Correia, Diamond, Deduno, Worley, and Hendriks can thumb wrestle in ST and the loser can head to AAA for awhile. Only one of them makes any real money.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Gibson, Correia, Diamond, Deduno, Worley, and Hendriks can thumb wrestle in ST and the loser can head to AAA for awhile. Only one of them makes any real money.
    That sounds like an excellent idea...if the goal is to ensure ownership pockets a large profit and the team is buried in the standings by June 1st again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast