Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bowden

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Michael Bowden

The other day, there was a forum thread where many believed that the Twins should make a claim on reliever Rich Thompson who was DFAd by the Angels last week.

Yesterday, the Twins claimed Clete Thomas to be a backup outfielder.

This morning, the Boston Red Sox DFAd reliever Michael Bowden. I have liked Bowden since the Red Sox used a supplemental 1st round pick in 2005. He's had a lot of minor league success as a starter, but in the big leagues, he has been pushed to the bullpen. He has been up with the Red Sox for parts of each season since 2008, so he must be out of options.

With this, in all reality, being a rebuilding year for the Twins, I think it would be disappointing if the Twins didn't get a 25-year-old pitcher who still has potential but never got a chance with the Red Sox.

Any thoughts?

compared to some of the options the Twins have, I think Bowden and Thompson are both upgrade to the Twins. I'd like to see them look into both.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Michael Bowden and Rich Thompson are the guys who should the Twins claim instead of the usual type of pitchers they do (never-had been 30 somethings). The problem is that they need 40-man and 25-man roster spots for both of them. I guess both of them would be an upgrade over Gray and Burton right away...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    It's just a matter of time before another roster spot opens up. We could probably have them start a game later this week.

I was thinking the same thing regarding Bowden. He has the potential to be a pretty significant upgrade over the likes of Gray, Maloney, Burton, etc, is still young, has a decent pedigree and could probably be worked into the rotation within a few weeks.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely! Just 3 years ago he was a 5-star prospect as rated by Baseball Prospectus, I think he'd be a great pickup.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't DFA Burton or Maloney yet... there are other options as well. Thompson doesn't do much for me, but Bowden, in my mind, is a must-acquire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I wouldn't DFA Burton or Maloney yet... there are other options as well...
    Assuming that Hendriks is demoted when Marquis returns next Wed, the only other option is to demote Burnett. Hate to say this, but Burnett has pitched better than Burton or Gray at this point. So one of these 2 would be the logical choise to go.
    -----

I wouldn't DFA Burton or Maloney yet... there are other options as well. Thompson doesn't do much for me, but Bowden, in my mind, is a must-acquire.
    Thompson has better K rates than Burton, Maloney and Gray and is younger than all 3. I'd have no problem switching him out for one of the others.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would keep Alex Burnett over Jeff Gray?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he must be out of options.
    Verified.

Bowden was known to have very good command and a great changeup and curve. I would love to see the Twins get Bowden and let him stretch back out. At the very least it would give the Twins another guy that could make the rotation next year. We're talking about a guy that has never really had a chance in the big leagues (less than a year of service time) who had been considered one of Boston's top prospects from 2008-2010.

Although - and it's been mentioned here - he doesn't fit the mold of guys typically claimed by the Twins (young and still projectable), his scouting report does say some things that loosely translate to him being a "pitch to contact" type guy, that's the Twins way!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Bowden's minor league K/9 rate actually jumped 37% to 10.4K/9 after his full time move to the pen last year. If memory serves he was one of the key pieces discussed with Boston's potential offer in the Santana trade fiasco. No reason not to put a claim in. If he was with the Twins during spring training he surely would have beaten out Burton, Gray, Burnett and Maloney. Just because a club is comfortable with it's pen, doesn't mean they still shouldn't take advatage of an opportunity for potential. Who knows, this could be a reverse Ortiz.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 04-15-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Anyone that could help next year's starting pitching has to be looked at. Right now, we're looking at Blackburn, Hendriks, Swarzak, and a lot of questions.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    If the Twins do put in a claim and are awarded Michael Bowden the player that should be removed my the 40 man roster is a very simple choice. I can't believe Seth hasn't suggested it already is to remove Tsuyoshi Nishioka from the 40 man roster. If a team wants to claim him they can have him and take over his deal.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bowden, yes the Twins i'm sure are putting a claim in....we'll see if a crappier team (few and far between record wise) Puts a claim on him before we do.

THey'd get first rights..... Question is who you send to AAA if you're the Twins... ? Matt Maloney?
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shawntheroad View Post
    Anyone that could help next year's starting pitching has to be looked at. Right now, we're looking at Blackburn, Hendriks, Swarzak, and a lot of questions.

Hopefully waaay before 2013 Spring Training we'll have :

FA , Blackburn, Swarzak, Hendriks, and Gibson..... with the possiblilty of Scott Baker being back... on a cheaper NEW DEAL.

Capps, Burnett, Gutierrez (better pick it up), Perkins, Burton or Gray, Oliveros, Robertson.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    Bowden, yes the Twins i'm sure are putting a claim in....we'll see if a crappier team (few and far between record wise) Puts a claim on him before we do.

THey'd get first rights..... Question is who you send to AAA if you're the Twins... ? Matt Maloney?
    Up until half of the season, the waiver claim order goes per last seasons record, so no crappier team in the AL than the Twins .

I think that the Twins should get rid of Gray, but that's another story
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Send Gray or Burton down take Tsuyoshi Nishioka off 40 man roster. I'm sure Gray and Burton don't have options but if they don't get claimed so be it.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bowden would seriously bolster the Twins' pitching depth, especially if they were willing to work him out as a starter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First off Hendriks is not going down when Marquis comes back he made sure of that yesterday. So the Twins will have to choose either Gray or Burnett to send down. I think Gray is the right choice with Swarzak going back to bullpen. As for Bowden, Seth and I discussed this yesterday and I feel this is a no brainer. The Red Sox never gave him a chance in the big leagues much like they never gave Justin Masterson a chance and look at him now. Bowden likely is not as talented as Masterson, but he is projectable and can be a very solid reliever this year and you go into next spring and possibly give him a chance to start depending on what Twins do with rotation. Bowden is better than 3 or 4 of their relievers so I can't see any reason why they wouldn't put a claim in on him. There are guys at the end of the 40 man roster that you can remove for him. Being that the Twins had the worst record in the AL last year and have it this year if they claim Bowden they will be awarded him. Like I told Seth yesterday I will be very disappointed if the Twins don't claim Bowden.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast