Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bowden

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd def bring in Bowden as he would help out both the pen and potential rotation. However I will say that much like Lowrie he is a bit over-rated due to hyped up Boston prospect status, you often see this with Yankee prospects as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Up until half of the season, the waiver claim order goes per last seasons record, so no crappier team in the AL than the Twins .

I think that the Twins should get rid of Gray, but that's another story
    Agreed. Gray got a couple cheap wins, but is not a guy you want to bring in with runners on base. Not much upside.

Surprisingly, Burnett has put a good run together, thus likely ensuring he'll stay.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    If the Twins do put in a claim and are awarded Michael Bowden the player that should be removed my the 40 man roster is a very simple choice. I can't believe Seth hasn't suggested it already is to remove Tsuyoshi Nishioka from the 40 man roster. If a team wants to claim him they can have him and take over his deal.
    Seriously good idea. They should designate him for assignment anyway on the hope and prayer that some team would take on the 6 Million still owed.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Seriously good idea. They should designate him for assignment anyway on the hope and prayer that some team would take on the 6 Million still owed.
    Pretty sure it wouldn't work like that, and nobody would ever give Nishioka that much money or even close...

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    Pretty sure it wouldn't work like that, and nobody would ever give Nishioka that much money or even close...
    That's the point. He's wasting a 40 man roster spot right now. If he clears waivers, which he will, then he can be removed from the 40 man roster and the Twins can use that spot on someone like Bowden. If by chance someone claims him, they get his contract too, so it's a win-win for the Twins, either way. Seriously are you suggesting there is some benefit to the Twins to keep him on their 40 man roster?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Finally!!! Somebody else actually gets it. Too bad Terry Ryan won't do it. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Nishioka would feel so pathetic he might approach the Twins and try to work out a buy out of his contract so he can return to Japan...

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The news on DFA'd Michael Bowden has been pretty quiet lately, so I'm linking a couple of stories and doing some math.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2...ernal-options/

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...boston-red-sox

It's been written lately that the Cubs are in need of bullpen help. I think that's where Bowden fits into the equation. The one thing that gives me pause is that the ESPN article suggests the Cubs will get a left-handed reliever. (Bowden is righthanded.) Regardless, Bowden's future will have to be determined in the next couple of days.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    The news on DFA'd Michael Bowden has been pretty quiet lately, so I'm linking a couple of stories and doing some math.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2...ernal-options/

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...boston-red-sox

It's been written lately that the Cubs are in need of bullpen help. I think that's where Bowden fits into the equation. The one thing that gives me pause is that the ESPN article suggests the Cubs will get a left-handed reliever. (Bowden is righthanded.) Regardless, Bowden's future will have to be determined in the next couple of days.
    There is another part to add to the equation, which makes Bowden to Cubs very unlikely:

a. he has to be bypassed by all the AL teams and a couple NL teams
    or b. he has to be traded directly to the Cubs by Boston

and given the relationship between Cubs and Boston recently b is even more unlikely than a, which is very unlikely itself

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are getting to the point where Bowden has to be put on waivers, so something will have to happen pretty quick for him to be involved.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to MLBTR, it appears the Red Sox and Cubs are close to a trade involving Marlon Byrd with Bowden in play in their discussions.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    According to MLBTR, it appears the Red Sox and Cubs are close to a trade involving Marlon Byrd with Bowden in play in their discussions.
    Rosenthal got that rumor out, but really the Cubs and the Red Sox are in worse talking terms than the Twins and the White Sox are

Blog Entries
    Rosenthal got that rumor out, but really the Cubs and the Red Sox are in worse talking terms than the Twins and the White Sox are
    I hope you are right. Having Bowden in our bullpen would make me beyond pleased.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll generally go with Rosenthal's ability to get info. The Cubs and Red Sox will talk if it makes both teams better.

Blog Entries
    It would be hard for me to believe that there is a strained relationship between the Dynamic Duo of Epstein-Hoyer and Ben Cherrington. Maybe Lucchino could present some problems, but overall I think the lines of communication are unobstructed as it was the past with Epstein's Red Sox and Hoyer's Padres.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,185 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    That's the point. He's wasting a 40 man roster spot right now. If he clears waivers, which he will, then he can be removed from the 40 man roster and the Twins can use that spot on someone like Bowden. If by chance someone claims him, they get his contract too, so it's a win-win for the Twins, either way. Seriously are you suggesting there is some benefit to the Twins to keep him on their 40 man roster?
    Why would anyone put in a claim on a barely average minor league player for 6 million dollars? I don't have issue with removing him from the 40 man but the Twins are going to end up paying him anyway. They won't give up on him yet and let him walk with the money.

I'd send Maloney down, no questions asked. Move Swarzak into the Long Relief Role.

If Ellsbury had injured himself earlier, the Red Sox would've claimed Clete Thomas and done did a trade with Detroit. Bowden is nice trading chips, and shades of the Twins sending Revere to the Red Sox for him, the Sox got what they need...an adequate replacement for awhile (Ellsbury will be back...not out for the year). Love that Repko also damanged his shoulder in a matter of games. Now we wait to see who claims or trades for Hughes...

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Too bad the Twins didn't have any broken down, old Center Fielders like Byrd to deal for him. If Bowden could have been had for Thomas, I would have done that deal in a second. Of course, we'll never know if the Twins made an effort to land Bowden or not, and if so, what they offered. It really doesn't sound like the Sox got much, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast