Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Ben Revere has been optioned to rochester

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,434
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Ben Revere has been optioned to rochester

    as most of us expected and speculated, Ben Revere has been sent to triple a. he needs to play every day, wheras Clete Thomas is fine playing once or twice a week.

  2. #2
    ROC now has basically the Twins Aug/Sept starting lineup w/ Revere, Benson, Nishi, Tosoni, Dinkelman, Butera & Rivera.
    And the Twins still suck.

  3. #3
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    53
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was hoping Revere was going to be our starting CF with Span in RF to start the year, but they never gave it a shot. Those 2 could of covered a lot of ground. To me I think they value Doumit's bat to much, as an OF he just isn't that valuable.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbyelway View Post
    To me I think they value Doumit's bat to much, as an OF he just isn't that valuable.
    They also that he, ya know, catches too.
    AKA: TMW

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,075
    Like
    10
    Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
    It's fine, Revere was in a bad position up here as mostly a backup RF, his worst spot defensively.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    It's the right move... AAA is the best place for Ben right now.

    I know there are some on this board that don't value Ben Revere as highly as I do. I don't want to start that debate again. We just have different ways of looking at the game of baseball. I may be right... I may be wrong and vice versa. (Side note... Vice Versa would be... I may be wrong... I may be right?).

    What I want to say right now is that I feel bad for the kid. Hopefully, others will feel the same way about it and if you don't... Pause... put yourself in his shoes and at least respect it for the time being.

    As the team reported to Ft. Myers to get spring training underway. I was personally excited about the thought of Revere/Span/Willingham in the outfield. I liked it... I saw it's potential... I think that Terry Ryan thought that would be our opening day OF and I think that Gardy thought that would be our opening day OF and I'm pretty sure that Ben Revere must have been able to assume or sense it or know it.

    Nothing he did in the Grapefruit league caused his loss of the starting job. It happened because Morneau became the DH and Gardy is afraid of running out of Catchers. Couple that with Parmelee playing well, Burroughs doing alright and Velencia not doing that great and a series of adjustments were made as Spring Training drew to a close and Ryan Doumit ended up as the primary RF option. Ben Revere had to be disapointed as this played out but he still had a major league job.

    It just got worse for Ben but being a 4th outfielder at his age and potential is a mistake. The kid is young and I believe he has the potential to be a Michael Bourn. He needs to play. AAA is the best place for him. I just feel bad for the kid. Just a month ago he had to be thinking that he was breaking camp the starter. Telling his folks about it, his friends, what an exciting time in his life it must have been. The anticipation of opening day must've been consuming him and then it all just kinda rolled over on top of him and he did nothing to earn that. This Kid has done nothing but Compete with every inch of himself. I appreciate that and I value that.

    Ben can continue to work on things in Rochester and injuries will happen and Ben will be up soon enough. I hope he can take a moment and shake the blow off and realize that he will be back and maybe the next time it will be for good.

    Signing Clete Thomas was the right move for this moment in time. Welcome to the Twins Clete. You just took out a dynamic player who competed hard. There are a lot of us, who are hoping you do likewise when Gardy pencils you in. Run into some walls and get dirty cuz Ben would have. And... Stick it to your old team as well.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 04-14-2012 at 10:04 PM.

  7. #7
    I just have to wonder what Ben's future is with the team. If there is one position the Twins have depth at, it is CF. In the quest for the 5 tool player - Ben only has one - speed. All of the other prospects have more of an upside. I would not be surprised to see the Twins deal him for a prospect. He could be a nice asset to a team looking for defensive replacement and a pinch runner late in the season.

  8. #8
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    I just have to wonder what Ben's future is with the team. If there is one position the Twins have depth at, it is CF. In the quest for the 5 tool player - Ben only has one - speed. All of the other prospects have more of an upside. I would not be surprised to see the Twins deal him for a prospect. He could be a nice asset to a team looking for defensive replacement and a pinch runner late in the season.
    His future is challenged for sure because perhaps the only strength of the farm system is OF. He has replacements scuffling and improving beneath him. However, not much above him in my opinion. His window kinda opened up prematurely.

    BTW... Ben has 3 tools. hit for average, defense and speed. Scouts can look for the true 5 tool guy but there are not very many around.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,135
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    I think that the next month will be very interesting for the Twins' organization and the short/medium term plans at the outfield. What do I mean?

    Between the majors and AA the Twins have 5 Centerfielders. And by "Centerfielders" I mean John Fogerty's definition:

    Span/Revere/Benson/Mastroianni/Hicks

    maybe even more with that definition.

    Span will (and should) be dealt sooner than later. Hicks is not ready. Hate to say that but Benson is about as ready as Hicks is and if Hicks was hitting Right Handed all the time he might be readier than Benson. Revere is it then. Get him to be tutored by Brunansky a bit at AAA and see what he can do

    And I do not get this "Let Revere play every day" thing.
    even if he plays once every blue moon, unless he has beer and pizza every night he can catch everything thrown at him
    he just needs help to be more consistent with hitting (and Vavra failed) that's it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    The Twins continue to go out of their way to appease Denard Span. It's unreal Gardy is afraid to move him to right field and now his best friend Clete Thomas is brought in as our 4th outfielder. I really question why this is happening?

  11. #11
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

    I may be right... I may be wrong and vice versa. (Side note... Vice Versa would be... I may be wrong... I may be right?).
    Actually I think it's, you may be right, I may be crazy.

    It's the right move right now, for Revere's sake as much as the Twins. He can still bring a lot to this team, someday, it's way more likely he will eventually bring it by playing in AAA everyday right now.

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that the next month will be very interesting for the Twins' organization and the short/medium term plans at the outfield. What do I mean?

    Between the majors and AA the Twins have 5 Centerfielders. And by "Centerfielders" I mean John Fogerty's definition:

    Span/Revere/Benson/Mastroianni/Hicks

    maybe even more with that definition.

    Span will (and should) be dealt sooner than later. Hicks is not ready. Hate to say that but Benson is about as ready as Hicks is and if Hicks was hitting Right Handed all the time he might be readier than Benson. Revere is it then. Get him to be tutored by Brunansky a bit at AAA and see what he can do

    And I do not get this "Let Revere play every day" thing.
    even if he plays once every blue moon, unless he has beer and pizza every night he can catch everything thrown at him
    he just needs help to be more consistent with hitting (and Vavra failed) that's it.
    This isn't a Vavra defense mind you but Ben was a rookie last year. He hit .260... He didn't get eaten alive like rookies do. He hit .260 and he swiped 34 bags. He has to walk more and drop down some bunts for hits so he has things to work on but he didn't get eaten alive.

    There is a pretty large number of current thriving MLB ballplayers who got eaten alive the first time round. The Ryan Braun rookie year isn't that common that we should be surprised when it doesn't happen. Facing Verlander is different then facing Vandenhurk.

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    The Twins continue to go out of their way to appease Denard Span. It's unreal Gardy is afraid to move him to right field and now his best friend Clete Thomas is brought in as our 4th outfielder. I really question why this is happening?
    Im ok with Span... I think it's more of a Doumit thing. When Morneau became DH. Doumit needed a more consistent spot for his bat. RF became that spot.

    Im ok with one gap compromised because you can position your CF to accommodate. Compromise both gaps and your asking for your team to come from behind more often then you should because the CF cant cover for two corners slower afoot.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,135
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    He has to walk more and drop down some bunts for hits so he has things to work on .
    OK unrelated (maybe) but it is PTSD to me since it happened about 3 hrs ago or so... here it goes. Smallball (them bunts). 7th inning. Rochester at Lehigh Valley. The Phillies' club brings in a new pitcher. Leftie. God bless his heart he cannot throw strikes. Hollimon walks in 5 pitches. Poor Darin Mastroianni (the only man in the playing field without a name plate on his jersey. Just a number. 16) comes up. He squares. Ball on his head. Dives. Next pitch. He squares again. Ball outside. 2 and Oh. Third pitch. Squares again. Ball at his shoelaces. Jumps away. Three and Oh. Squares again. Ball back to the pitcher, Hollimon out at second, Mastroianni safe at first. (he stole second later, but that is not the point.)

    Bunting will never be the way for Revere and it should not be
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Actually I think it's, you may be right, I may be crazy.
    Cue the glass breaking SFX.

    Lol... I can't type the words "I may be crazy" unless I wanted a thesaurus type list of words that all mean "duh" from responding posters following.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    OK unrelated (maybe) but it is PTSD to me since it happened about 3 hrs ago or so... here it goes. Smallball (them bunts). 7th inning. Rochester at Lehigh Valley. The Phillies' club brings in a new pitcher. Leftie. God bless his heart he cannot throw strikes. Hollimon walks in 5 pitches. Poor Darin Mastroianni (the only man in the playing field without a name plate on his jersey. Just a number. 16) comes up. He squares. Ball on his head. Dives. Next pitch. He squares again. Ball outside. 2 and Oh. Third pitch. Squares again. Ball at his shoelaces. Jumps away. Three and Oh. Squares again. Ball back to the pitcher, Hollimon out at second, Mastroianni safe at first. (he stole second later, but that is not the point.)

    Bunting will never be the way for Revere and it should not be
    lol... Don't misunderstand me. I do not like the sacrifice bunt. Never will unless you have Drew Butera at the plate... In that case... What the hey. I'm talking about using that world class speed of his, the left batters box and a pitcher falling off the mound. I'm talking about drawing the 3b in so it's easier to slap past. I think he could add that club to his bag.

    BTW... I love bad bunting stories. I've seen a ton. They are fun to watch.

  17. #17
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I once saw a 12 year old bunt. Foul the ball off into his shirt but didn't know it. He thought he got it down and not only did he run to first but ran right past his teammate(returning to first) all the way to 2b. He finally stopped when the ball fell out of his shirt near 2b. The SS picked up the ball and tagged him. The Ump was maybe 16 years old and had no idea what happened and called him out.

    I was the coach of the team in the field and I saw the whole thing. I was happy with the out because we were up by one in the final inning and didnt want to correct the ump because I was laughing too hard.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 04-15-2012 at 12:18 AM.

  18. #18
    I still think the best idea is to teach Revere 2B.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Revere doesn't need to sac bunt, but he's got the speed to beat out a bunt for a hit.

    If he can work on hitting line drives to the gaps or sharp grounders down the lines, we could see a lot of doubles and triples from him. Not hard to imagine Span dropping the suicide squeeze bunt with Revere on third. THAT'S exciting baseball.

    And for the guy who mentioned 5 tool prospects, the last "5 tool prospect" I remember that started for the Twins was....Carlos Gomez.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,959
    Like
    4
    Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Span will (and should) be dealt sooner than later. Hicks is not ready. Hate to say that but Benson is about as ready as Hicks is and if Hicks was hitting Right Handed all the time he might be readier than Benson. Revere is it then. Get him to be tutored by Brunansky a bit at AAA and see what he can do

    And I do not get this "Let Revere play every day" thing.
    1. So who do you envision batting leadoff? Ben Revere? That is laughable. Unless you say "Joe Mauer" I think the Twins have nothing at the position until Hicks, and if he isn't ready, then SPAN is the guy who needs to stay and Revere is the guy to go.

    2. Revere will get better by actually playing every day. He will have the chance to be a more consistent hitter and a better batter all-around. Playing minimally for the Twins does nothing for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.