Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 176

Thread: Reverse Standings and the 2014 MLB Draft

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Win games and scout well.

  2. #22
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    You can scout well all you want, but you can't get the elite of the elite picking late in the draft....and how has that scouting and developing pitchers gone since Garza, exactly?
    Lighten up Francis....

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You can scout well all you want, but you can't get the elite of the elite picking late in the draft....and how has that scouting and developing pitchers gone since Garza, exactly?
    Too early to make a definitive statement either way?

  4. #24
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Too early to make a definitive statement either way?
    Garza was drafted in 2005, it is too early to judge picks since then?
    Lighten up Francis....

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Garza was drafted in 2005, it is too early to judge picks since then?
    No, Garza and Slowey were fine picks. Probably too early to dismiss 2009 and 10 picks because of injuries. I'm a little skeptical now of Gibson but if he ends up at as a #3 that is an acceptable first round pick.

    I think you bounce between having unrealistic expectations of past picks to now having too much confidence in future picks. That is a combination that will surely lead to disappointment.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    859
    Like
    466
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    People forget that there were 14 pitchers selected ahead of Gibson.

  7. #27
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    People forget that there were 14 pitchers selected ahead of Gibson.
    That's what I'm saying, I'm agreeing wth BW from months ago when he said it was easier to get elite players earlier in the draft.....it is easier. Doesn't excuse not succeeding later, but it is easier.
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Kiley McDaniel released his top 50 draft prospect list today and it is very different than BA's list. Here are his top 10:

    1. Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State
    Quick Take: Isn't without his faults but flashes 70 fastball and slider on 20-80 scouting scale with improved changeup that's above average at times.
    2. Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina
    Quick Take: Went from solid first round arm to legitimate 1-1 threat with dominating 24.1 IP on Cape reminiscent of Adam Wainwright.
    3. Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd HS (TX), No college commitment
    Quick Take: Massive 6'5/240 righty hit a few 99s on my gun with a plus curveball and is still growing into his frame.
    4. Trea Turner, SS, North Carolina State
    Quick Take: Had a tough summer battling an ankle injury but has had two super productive springs with 80 speed as the calling card.
    5. Alex Jackson, C/RF, Rancho Bernardo HS (CA), Oregon commit
    Quick Take: Projects as a plus hitter with plus power and arm; likely moves to right field but has a chance to play behind the plate with some work.
    6. Derek Fisher, LF, Virginia
    Quick Take: Advanced bat has really improved in college and plus left-handed power is starting to show up in games.
    7. Michael Gettys, CF/RHP, Gainesville HS (GA), Georgia commit
    Quick Take: Explosive athlete has plus-plus bat speed, foot speed and arm strength along with fastball that's hit 95 mph.
    8. Braxton Davidson, 1B, T.C. Roberson HS (NC), North Carolina commit
    Quick Take: The best pure bat in the prep class has been productive this summer and hit upper deck shots at the MetroDome as 16 year old.
    9. Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS (SC), Florida commit
    Quick Take: Athletic 6'2 righty regularly works 92-95 mph with a plus curve and feel for pitching.
    10. Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU
    Quick Take: 5'11 lefty reminds some of Scott Kazmir with fastball that's been up to 98 mph and three pitches that flash above average potentia

    Here is the link for the rest of his top 50:
    Scout.com: Top 50 Prospects for 2014 MLB Draft

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    People forget that there were 14 pitchers selected ahead of Gibson.
    Of the 14, 7 are busts, 3 are ok/relievers, and 4 are hits (assuming Minor stays healthy and Wheeler continues to develop. The big hits are Strasburg (pick 1) and Shelby Miller (19).

    The top half picks fared better but still featured busts and the second best was pick 19.

    Win games and scout well and the franchise will be fine.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    539
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I'm a little skeptical now of Gibson but if he ends up at as a #3 that is an acceptable first round pick.
    It's just too early to be skeptical at this point. Gibson has only 51 innings under his belt, way too few to make a judgment. Remember, Frankie V had 2 dreadful seasons including his second season with 200+ innings pitched. Then he blossomed to win 18 games and be a consistent starter. To me there were enough bright spots by Gibson, to see a potential as a solid #2 type starting pitcher (think Brad Radke). Gibson would certainly benefit from a veteran presence (similar to what Pavano was).

  11. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    BaseballAmerica released their top 10 players from the Area CodeGames. Here is the link:

    Area Code Games Top 10 Prospects - BaseballAmerica.com

  12. #32
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,597
    Like
    3,668
    Liked 3,154 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You can scout well all you want, but you can't get the elite of the elite picking late in the draft....
    That's a bit strong, Mike. Albert Pujols went in the 13th round.

    Mike Trout went with the 25th pick.

    I could go on.

    It's certainly easier the higher you draft, but you can find talent, including the "elite of the elite" if you're good and perhaps a bit lucky.

    I would be fine with the Twins drafting near the bottom of the list for the next couple decades...including dead last a couple three times.

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    For any of you out there that are interested in seeing some of the best young HS prospects and have the MLB Network, they will be playing the under armor all-star game. A lot of possible draft picks will be playing.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    539
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    As of this morning (8/28) the Twins are just 2 1/2 games from the 3rd pick, with the 5th pick in the draft. But it's still stacked up with a 5 1/2 game swing between the 3rd pick and the 15th. So right now we're 2 1/2 games and 2 picks out of 3rd and 3 games and 10 picks out of 15th. What a jam-up of crappy teams this year!

  15. #35
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That's a bit strong, Mike. Albert Pujols went in the 13th round.

    Mike Trout went with the 25th pick.

    I could go on.

    It's certainly easier the higher you draft, but you can find talent, including the "elite of the elite" if you're good and perhaps a bit lucky.

    I would be fine with the Twins drafting near the bottom of the list for the next couple decades...including dead last a couple three times.

    Yup, agreed, should have typed "its more likely" rather than "can't"......but again, how's that going for the Twins in the last 5-10 years? Not so well......
    Lighten up Francis....

  16. #36
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    859
    Like
    466
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Yup, agreed, should have typed "its more likely" rather than "can't"......but again, how's that going for the Twins in the last 5-10 years? Not so well......
    Again, it's too early to make a definitive statement, but there's some evidence that it's been going better than "not so well" over the last 10 years, especially if one compares the results against the rest of baseball.

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Yup, agreed, should have typed "its more likely" rather than "can't"......but again, how's that going for the Twins in the last 5-10 years? Not so well......
    Not so well indeed, then again, St Louis has been in the same boat as us during that time frame and they seem to be doing just fine in that department. Maybe it has more to do with who we pick when we do pick AND how we develope them.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    As of this morning (8/28) the Twins are just 2 1/2 games from the 3rd pick, with the 5th pick in the draft. But it's still stacked up with a 5 1/2 game swing between the 3rd pick and the 15th. So right now we're 2 1/2 games and 2 picks out of 3rd and 3 games and 10 picks out of 15th. What a jam-up of crappy teams this year!
    Pretty crazy how close everyone is at the bottom. There is a huge difference in value in the #3 pick and a pick in the mid teens.

  19. #39
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Again, it's too early to make a definitive statement, but there's some evidence that it's been going better than "not so well" over the last 10 years, especially if one compares the results against the rest of baseball.
    three conseecutive 90 loss seasons, no one on AAA to even call up for a tryout two years in a row, right? 1 player under 28 on the roster for more than 1 year that is any good at all.....how am I to judge the minors, other than if they turn out players that help the team win?
    Lighten up Francis....

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    three conseecutive 90 loss seasons, no one on AAA to even call up for a tryout two years in a row, right? 1 player under 28 on the roster for more than 1 year that is any good at all.....how am I to judge the minors, other than if they turn out players that help the team win?
    I'm honestly not sure what to make of this post. It seems to be making end points to fit a theme rather than reflect reality. The Twins have brought up a lot of players in the last two years (even some from AAA although why should we care if they are coming from AA or AAA?), Dozier, Florimon, Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, Diamond, Colebllo, Albers, Fein etc. Dozier (3.2 WAR) and Florimon (2.5) are both good, under 28 and seem to have settled in to set up a nice MI for the first time in a decade.

    The Twins are clearly building a new core to go around the next wave of talent. The first part of the wave showed up this year in Hicks, Arcia and Gibson (Dozier and Florimon are nice pieces to go with it). Wait until the rest of the wave shows up. The 2000 Twins lost 93 games with 27 year old Radke and Koskie, 25 year old Jones, 24 yr old Milton, Mays, Ortiz, Hunter and under 22 guys like Guzman, Santana and Rivas. Give it time. Do you honestly think Ryan isn't rebuilding correctly? Do you think a future foundation of Buxton, Sano, Gibson, Meyer, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario, Mauer, etc is a bad plan?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.