Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins just claimed Clete Thomas

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins just claimed Clete Thomas

I guess he takes Baker's 40-man spot. Either Revere to AAA or Burroughs waived

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody know how Clete's defense is? Does he fit best in RF? I see he's not much of a hitter...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 349 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins drafted him yaers ago... they sure like bringing back guys they've drafted previously!

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Does anybody know how Clete's defense is? Does he fit best in RF? I see he's not much of a hitter...
    Very good defense. Strong arm with some wheels. Hitting... He has some pop... Can take a base but the contact has been a struggle.

Im not sure that I see the need here but Ryan must like him.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Twins drafted him yaers ago... they sure like bringing back guys they've drafted previously!
    The Twins drafted him in the 5th round in 2002 and he did not sign. He was drafted by Detroit in 2005 in the 6th round and signed.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 04-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.

I like it. Go Clete!

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Very good defense. Strong arm with some wheels.
    Nice, the Twins could definitely use some outfield defense help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think it gives Revere a chance to play everyday in AAA. Clete Thomas is probably comparable to Jason Repko. Some defense and speed in the outfield. Played mostly RF in majors but was a CF early in the minors and split time in RF and CF last year. Questionable bat. Little upside at 28 years old. Still hope they claim Rich Thompson.

I like it only if Revere gets sent down to play everyday. He could use time to develop more. Doumit and Parmelee can cover right everyday but who will relieve Span in center?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy if Revere is going to get to play everyday someplace else. It's been an absolute waste of his time for him to be with the Twins.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonDRuiz View Post
    I like it only if Revere gets sent down to play everyday. He could use time to develop more. Doumit and Parmelee can cover right everyday but who will relieve Span in center?
    Most of Thomas' time in the minors he played CF.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    I assume Thomas is out of options and that's why he was available, right? That would mean the Twins entire bench is out of options.

Blog Entries
    Yeah... I'm a Ben Revere fan but if he is going to be the 4th. Might as well.

Im a little sad about it. Please say nice things about Ben for a little while. Thanks.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Clete Thomas is 28, bats left-handed, and had the majority of his playing time in the minors as a center fielder. He initially projected as a possible lead off hitter, but his stats in the minors suggest a fourth outfielder is more likely. Last year, he hit 12 home runs in AAA, but he's only hit 41 in his seven year minor career. In 440 plate appearances in the majors, he hit .253 with a .336 OBP and just a .391 SLG. He's a decent pickup, maybe even an above average fourth outfielder who has the versatility to cover center field. He's also battled some injuries, including Tommy John a few years ago.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Left-handed Jason Repko with a bit more slugging potential.

Defense is SORELY needed! The Twins defense is even worse than the Tigers. And not to mention, with Revere gone, the Twins have the most unathletic team in the league. I hope Gardy uses this guy frequently in late inning situations to sub out Doumit and Willingham who are terrible in the field.

The Twins have too many DH types!

A good move if Revere goes to AAA. Benson, Revere, Tosoni will be a very good AAA outfield.

Waive Burroughs. That guy can't hit and is not a good pinch hitting option as he has yet to get a hit in that job. Why even claim Thomas? What purpose does he serve?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    Why even claim Thomas? What purpose does he serve?
    If I were TR and asked that question, my response would sound something like this:

We only have two guys on our roster that can play CF. What's best for Ben Revere is to play every day. As long as Denard is healthy, Revere won't be playing every day up here. Thomas gives us a guy that can play all three positions solidly and allow us to send Revere down to further his development.

...or something like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    If I were TR and asked that question, my response would sound something like this:

We only have two guys on our roster that can play CF. What's best for Ben Revere is to play every day. As long as Denard is healthy, Revere won't be playing every day up here. Thomas gives us a guy that can play all three positions solidly and allow us to send Revere down to further his development.

...or something like that.
    As I read your post... I imagined TR's voice. You know the kinda scratchy grandpa voice that he has.

It fit like a glove. I could hear TR saying exactly that. That was a TR statement to the bone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast