Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gibson sent down to AAA Rochester.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gibson sent down to AAA Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Kind of expected. He would be shut down soon enough anyway, and his performances did not indicate "major league". Will he improve next year? I certainly hope so--or it's off to the glue factory with this horse.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone read the Twins rationale on this? It isn't because they want him pitching there, right? Is he actually going to pitch there?

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson said that he doesn't want to go to the pen... He wants to continue to start and help Rochester win a championship.

If we can help Rochester win something... The affiliate would appreciate it I'm sure.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Has anyone read the Twins rationale on this? It isn't because they want him pitching there, right? Is he actually going to pitch there?
    If it were preordained due to arm conservation it would've been nice to know before he went out and got knocked around.

This way it looks like just another demotion after a rough outing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Gibson said that he doesn't want to go to the pen... He wants to continue to start and help Rochester win a championship.

If we can help Rochester win something... The affiliate would appreciate it I'm sure.
    He is really close to his innings limit, is he not? He might be able to give him 1 or 2 starts, but not much in the playoffs, correct?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Are you looking for something other than horsebleep performance?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    He is really close to his innings limit, is he not? He might be able to give him 1 or 2 starts, but not much in the playoffs, correct?
    No one knows what his innings limit is, or at least nobody is saying. That said, I think you're right - 1 or 2 starts is probably about it. And if he can get them a couple of wins, that could be big for them in the stretch. Tight race, every game may count.

My guess (and just that) is he finishes the regular Triple-A season and then is shut down, regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 08-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    If it were preordained due to arm conservation it would've been nice to know before he went out and got knocked around.

This way it looks like just another demotion after a rough outing.
    Wasn't the reason for waiting so long to get him up here because they wanted him up here for good?

Of course a rebuttal is that they couldn't have predicted he'd pitch this poorly.
    To that, I say 2 things.
    1) It should have been pretty well expected that he would struggle. Maybe not this much, but after all he's facing mlb hitters for the first time with a dead arm (140 IP after not pitching much last year).
    2) At the time I said that was a dumb reason, because no matter how long you wait to call him is no guarantee that his performance won't warrant a demotion.

JUST TO BE CLEAR: I don't have a problem with the demotion, I have a problem with wasting 90+ of his freshest innings in AAA.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Bummer....Hicks and Gibson.......just a bummer

Blog Entries
    JUST TO BE CLEAR: I don't have a problem with the demotion, I have a problem with wasting 90+ of his freshest innings in AAA.
    Of course, he wasn't that sharp in Triple-A at first either. It wasn't until mid-May that he hit his stride and was actually deserving of a callup. Maybe he should have been up a couple of weeks earlier (3 starts?) but not more than that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    Of course, he wasn't that sharp in Triple-A at first either. It wasn't until mid-May that he hit his stride and was actually deserving of a callup. Maybe he should have been up a couple of weeks earlier (3 starts?) but not more than that.
    I disagree. He should have been here as soon as he was physically ready.
    He's 25 (almost 26, I believe?) years old. What harm is done if he struggles a bit then, we fall out of the division race?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Seems like I was the only one that didn't think he was ready when brought up, but felt, well, give it a go. Perhaps management felt the same way. After all he did pitch a few good games, but usually followed by not so good. Might as well see what he does. He's done it now, and not so good. If he can help Rochester win a couple, all the better. Same with Colabello. I think Gibson will be better next season, but he won't ever be the ace some seem to have him pegged as.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    He's 25 (almost 26, I believe?) years old. What harm is done if he struggles a bit then, we fall out of the division race?
    The Twins try to put a player in a position where he will have some success. That's why.

Blog Entries
    I understand the argument that he needs MLB experience to know how to pitch in MLB. That said, if he's not ready, he's not ready, and should not be up.

I guess it comes down to whether his struggles are due to arm fatigue or just not enough preparation in the minors (like Hicks). I'm guessing that many will assume the issue is arm fatigue, but Gibson himself said just last week that his arm still feels strong. Granted, you can't always go on what an athlete says, but neither can we assume the opposite either.

If it is arm fatigue, your point is well made. If it is that he just needs to learn a little more, then bringing him up earlier would have made no difference - he still would have been rocked, just in July rather than August.

There could be some benefit to this move in addition to supporting the affiliate in a playoff run. Perhaps Kyle can take some of his MLB experience and his "schooling" in what he needs to work on and focus on that in a slightly lower pressure environment.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    The Twins try to put a player in a position where he will have some success. That's why.
    And they achieved that by calling him up to face MLB hitters for the first time in his life with a dead arm?
    That's my whole point, call him up while his arm is fresh and he has a chance, don't call him up after he's thrown 100 innings (after not pitching much last year) and throw him to the wolves.

Senior Member All-Star
    Seems like I was the only one that didn't think he was ready when brought up, but felt, well, give it a go. Perhaps management felt the same way. After all he did pitch a few good games, but usually followed by not so good. Might as well see what he does. He's done it now, and not so good. If he can help Rochester win a couple, all the better. Same with Colabello. I think Gibson will be better next season, but he won't ever be the ace some seem to have him pegged as.
    Who has him pegged as an ace?
    I think most people have been on the same page since the day he was drafted that his upside is a solid #2 or good #3.
    And I don't think his performance this year changes that one bit. I take nothing out of this other than he got some valuable experience, and I wish he had gotten a chance with a fresh arm, but the numbers don't concern me.
    Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 08-19-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I understand the argument that he needs MLB experience to know how to pitch in MLB. That said, if he's not ready, he's not ready, and should not be up.

I guess it comes down to whether his struggles are due to arm fatigue or just not enough preparation in the minors (like Hicks). I'm guessing that many will assume the issue is arm fatigue, but Gibson himself said just last week that his arm still feels strong. Granted, you can't always go on what an athlete says, but neither can we assume the opposite either.

If it is arm fatigue, your point is well made. If it is that he just needs to learn a little more, then bringing him up earlier would have made no difference - he still would have been rocked, just in July rather than August.

There could be some benefit to this move in addition to supporting the affiliate in a playoff run. Perhaps Kyle can take some of his MLB experience and his "schooling" in what he needs to work on and focus on that in a slightly lower pressure environment.
    Again, the bolded is kind of my point.
    No matter how long you wait to call him up, he is going to have to face MLB hitters for the very first time in his life at some point.
    He is not an elite prospect. He should never have been expected to come up and dominate. No matter how long you wait, there was going to be a learning curve, I don't care if you wait until he's 35.
    So, if you are going to have that learning curve either way, why not give him a shot when you know his arm is fresh, rather than later when it now has to become a question of, is his arm dead, or is he just bad?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Aaron Hicks says, "News to me!"
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Aaron Hicks says, "News to me!"
    Ouch. Too soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast