Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Offseason trade targets

What Shane Wahl said. We aren't one picture away from greatness. We need our prospects to build a core for the future. If we are on the come 2-3 years from now and are one horse away from greatness, by all means, pull the trigger. But we are not there yet.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    I see that Wandy Rodriguez was shut down. He'd make $13 million next year but Houston is picking up a big chunk of that. It sounds like Pittsburgh might not really need him next year, and could want to free up some money to resign Burnett and upgrade their offense. This is the type of situation the Twins should look for..he shouldn't cost much in trade if the Twins would pay most of his salary. If Wandy is healthy, he's an above average starter for next year, and one that they could give a qualifying offer to after next year. If not, they mostly just give up money, which they should be spending anyway.
    Very similar to the Santana situation last year. He has a team option for next year. If the Pirates decide not to pick up the option, they may look for anything they can get before releasing. Since Houston is picking up 5.5 million though, I think the Pirates will pick up the option.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyKline View Post
    I would not trade Buxton because I think he is the real deal but I think Sano will not live up to his hype. He has a lot of raw power but will strike out a ton and not hit for average. The highest odds are that he will be more like Adam Dunn than Miguel Cabrera in my opinion. I think you could get a huge ransom for Sano.
    Adam Dunn has a career .861 OPS, 437 homers (6 40 homer seasons, including 5 in a row), and it was only in like his 12th full season that he went and got terrible. That was 11 full seasons of very good performance.

Blog Entries
    If Sano is hitting 31 homers for the Twins when he is 33 I will be happy about that too.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Since he was traded, Wandy's option is a player option and he's likely to exercise it since he probably couldn't get that much as a FA coming off of his injuries. It's a lot like Santana though....I wanted Santana last year too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much nothing could get me to trade Buxton.

I would trade Sano to the Pirates for McCutchen, their pitching coach, Locke and Liriano.

After McCutchen, the real win there might be the pitching coach.

Actually, I'd maybe take that deal without Liriano.

edit: pre-flame, I would insist on Liriano, too.

Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 09-15-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Read the whole thread and have a couple of responses.

1. Absolutely no chance Kepler gets claimed as a rule 5 and stays on someone's roster all year. Someone made the analogy of stashing a young shortstop for a year. While also unlikely, this scenario could at least be possible by using the player as a defensive substitute late in games, pinch runner late in games and occasional sub for a what is traditionally a light hitting position. No way a team does that with a Kepler type who'd likely be filling in for a key bat in the lineup.

2. I sincerely hope we have gotten back to the prime TR days of looking to sell high (think Robert Kelly and Dave Hollins more so than the miracle AJ for the SF treasure chest). Unfortunately for the good guys, players such as Willingham, Plouffe and Doumit all underperformed this year and/or were injured and had no trade value.

I hope TR recognizes Deduno, Correia, Burton, Fien, Willingham, Doumit, Duensing are all players that don't necessarily fill the 2015/2016 mantra and should then all be considered to move when/if their value allows. Deduno coming off an injury likely means next years for him. Willingham is one we hope can rebound to provide deadline value next year, but the others I would all look to see what kind of return is available this winter.

3. Barring an unforeseen improvement or return to glory, the answer for the rotation is certainly not in the free agent pool. For a team like the Twins, it likely never will be. We have neither the dollars gamble nor the preferred destination to attract those pitchers. I thought TR did a great job getting Correia and Pelfrey to provide verteran leadership during a year used as the first of (at least) two to bridge until the horses can take over.

By 2015 we hope Gibson, Meyer, May and possibly Summers/Duffey (with Melotakis, Eades, Berrios, Stewart, Gonsalves, Sleger - who reeaally intrigues me - and Jorge hopefully knocking on the door). The roster and rotation should be built with that in mind.

4. Young players with upside (Plouffe, Dozier) need to be looked at in the same way Span and Revere were last summer. If the Twins decide the players coming up (Sano/Harrison at 3rd and Rosario at 2nd) will take their spots, we need to see if we can deal for more pitching.

That being said, I'd like to see the Twins look to resign Pelfrey to a 2 or 3 year deal. He's said to be the consummate professional, showed well coming off Tommy John, could be a solid mentor, and is young enough to be able to contribute even after the kids develop.

Rotation in 2013 Deduno-Correia-Pelfey-Gibson-Diamond/Worley (fingers crossed). Hopefully Meyer and May earn mid-season call-ups.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Pelfrey has an era approaching 5.5, and you want to sign him?
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Another person seeking Mike Pelfrey for multiple years. I am going to eat my shoe the next time someone does this. It's out of control.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Another person seeking Mike Pelfrey for multiple years. I am going to eat my shoe the next time someone does this. It's out of control.
    Hey, what about Pelfrey for 2 years and $10M?

Can I see a picture of a half eaten shoe?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    SOMEBODY has to be in the rotation! Best case scenario is both Gibson and Meyer start in the rotation (bit of a pipe dream), Diamond Returns to 2013 form, as does Worley and Deduno returns from off-season surgery to show this year wasn't a mirage. Lot of hoping and wishing as a strategy. Not a single established started to eat innings and give consistency.

End of the day, this is all about 2015. I'd rather have Pelfrey (and his upside now two years off of surgery) as a tradeable chip in the winter of 2014 or 15 than some other over paid question mark. I know what I'm getting and with my sole focus being on 2015-16, I think he and Deduno have the most potential upside in bringing in more young talent.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TD Mac View Post

1. Absolutely no chance Kepler gets claimed as a rule 5 and stays on someone's roster all year. Someone made the analogy of stashing a young shortstop for a year..
    Kepler was on the A roster. Unless he is on the New Britain roster, he can get claimed during the AA portion of the Rule 5 draft & unless he is on the Rochester roster, he can be claimed in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft (and in the MiLB portion of the draft, the player does not have to play at the level claimed.) So, there is no way that he will not get claimed in the MiLB portion, if not on the Rochester roster.

Plus, I am not sure that the Astros of the world will not take a flyer on him at the MLB portion of the draft and I am not sure that Kepler will be worse than the people who the Astros trotted at their OF this season...

So, there is a chance in the MLB portion, and, unless on Rochester roster, there is no way he does not get claimed in the MiLB portion of the draft...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by TD Mac View Post

1. Absolutely no chance Kepler gets claimed as a rule 5 and stays on someone's roster all year. Someone made the analogy of stashing a young shortstop for a year. While also unlikely, this scenario could at least be possible by using the player as a defensive substitute late in games, pinch runner late in games and occasional sub for a what is traditionally a light hitting position. No way a team does that with a Kepler type who'd likely be filling in for a key bat in the lineup.

2. I sincerely hope we have gotten back to the prime TR days of looking to sell high (think Robert Kelly and Dave Hollins more so than the miracle AJ for the SF treasure chest). Unfortunately for the good guys, players such as Willingham, Plouffe and Doumit all underperformed this year and/or were injured and had no trade value.

I hope TR recognizes Deduno, Correia, Burton, Fien, Willingham, Doumit, Duensing are all players that don't necessarily fill the 2015/2016 mantra and should then all be considered to move when/if their value allows. Deduno coming off an injury likely means next years for him. Willingham is one we hope can rebound to provide deadline value next year, but the others I would all look to see what kind of return is available this winter.

3. Barring an unforeseen improvement or return to glory, the answer for the rotation is certainly not in the free agent pool. For a team like the Twins, it likely never will be. We have neither the dollars gamble nor the preferred destination to attract those pitchers. I thought TR did a great job getting Correia and Pelfrey to provide verteran leadership during a year used as the first of (at least) two to bridge until the horses can take over.

By 2015 we hope Gibson, Meyer, May and possibly Summers/Duffey (with Melotakis, Eades, Berrios, Stewart, Gonsalves, Sleger - who reeaally intrigues me - and Jorge hopefully knocking on the door). The roster and rotation should be built with that in mind.

4. Young players with upside (Plouffe, Dozier) need to be looked at in the same way Span and Revere were last summer. If the Twins decide the players coming up (Sano/Harrison at 3rd and Rosario at 2nd) will take their spots, we need to see if we can deal for more pitching.

That being said, I'd like to see the Twins look to resign Pelfrey to a 2 or 3 year deal. He's said to be the consummate professional, showed well coming off Tommy John, could be a solid mentor, and is young enough to be able to contribute even after the kids develop.

Rotation in 2013 Deduno-Correia-Pelfey-Gibson-Diamond/Worley (fingers crossed). Hopefully Meyer and May earn mid-season call-ups.
    I totally agree on moving the guys you mentioned. The Twins have to look at adding players that will be here in 2015 and getting rid of players who won't...necessarily. Even if they jettison guys like Willingham and Doumit with little or nothing in return, they are freeing up monies to sign someone else for 2-3 years that might have more meaning. Remember, signing free agents like Willingham usually cost you nothing. If you gain even salary reloief, it can be considered a plus.

I'm not sure if Deduno will be on the 40-man. Maybe, maybe not. Pelfrey I would gamble on, just as I would Scott Baker, if available. Anyone know what the status is on Lester Oliveros and Deolis Guerra in the Twins prospect hunt. Daniel Sattler and Daniel Turpen as minor league free agent wannabees? The return of Pat Neshek or, what ever happened to Anthony Slama. Okay, skip the relief, let's get rotation help! Picture the Twins signing Moulton and him becoming our Haren of 2014.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, the pen is the only thing I see TR being able to trade this offseason. Burton or Fein might fetch enough to warrant a trade. Perkins obviously has value if someone wants to overpay for him as well. Doumit and Willingham though will likely get moved during the 2014 season, assuming they have decent bounce back years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I understand that signing a pitcher with an ERA of 5.31 is unattractive, how 'bout a guy whose ERA in June was better than May, whose ERA in July (3.25) was better than June, and whose ERA in August (3.60) was not too bad?
    Yes, that too, was Mike Pelfrey.

(this would have looked so much better if his ERA in Sep wasn't 12.00 - SSS though)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Except Pelfrey was never consistently good before the injury. I don't get why people like him, I really don't.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    The problem is that so much about eating involves the sense of smell. And my shoes are smelly.

And . . . there somehow were serious mentions of him again the 2/10 dollar joke. (Which I know isn't a joke for a lot of people).

Here is a list:

(Kevin Correia, Sam Deduno--both older)

Kyle Gibson
    Vance Worley
    Scott Diamond
    Liam Hendriks
    Andrew Albers
    Pedro Herndandez
    Logan Darnell

There are 7 pitchers younger than Mike Pelfrey (most by 3 or more years), of likely similar value in 2014 and 2015, and who are all to be had for a fraction (most 1/10th) of the cost.

That doesn't include: Alex Meyer and Trevor May, and it doesn't include the one or two FA signings.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567