Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason trade targets

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins biggest trade chip is their ability to take on the salary of a player. Their payroll is going to be laughably low and there are no current prospects on their team who are going to need a big payday in the next 5 years.

Maybe there are teams who will be looking to dump salary and/or not looking forward to paying arbitration increases. Teams like the Pirates with lots of good young players but a sizable chuck of money invested in Wandy Rodriguez come to mind.

Twins could trade for a decent pitcher with a lower level prospect just by being willing to take on the money.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Twins biggest trade chip is their ability to take on the salary of a player. Their payroll is going to be laughably low and there are no current prospects on their team who are going to need a big payday in the next 5 years.

Maybe there are teams who will be looking to dump salary and/or not looking forward to paying arbitration increases. Teams like the Pirates with lots of good young players but a sizable chuck of money invested in Wandy Rodriguez come to mind.

Twins could trade for a decent pitcher with a lower level prospect just by being willing to take on the money.
    The Twins aren't the only team desperate for starting pitching willing to take on salary. If it was that easy don't you think Ryan would have already done it?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I know he's fallen off the face of the earth from his former hype (another cautionary tale), but what's your reasoning? I know you're a Braves-guy, so I'm sure you have some good insights.
    He had shoulder stuff after his first year. He kept pitching through it despite the Braves telling him to get surgery. They kept re-upping him rather than offering him something more long-term. He was going to leave in free agency, so they made the move to get Walden this year for him, which looks pure genius now.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Twins biggest trade chip is their ability to take on the salary of a player.
    Totally agree, this is the other major avenue I'd like to see them pursue - potentially talented salary dumps. People were laughing at LAD a few months ago but a lot of their purely financial moves have catapulted them into being the WS favorites. Obviously the Twins don't have that much spending power, but it is an avenue they have available to them.

I'm not, however, convinced they would pursue this route.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    A team would take Kepler. No doubt.
    In the last 10 years only 1 hitter has been taken below AA and played even 1 game in the majors before being returned. That was Everth Cabrera. Even at AA it is very rare for a position player to get drafted and stick. You can't just stash a position player like a pitcher. Everybody is needed to contribute. Cabrera for instance played in 100 games and had 438 PAs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Yeah, he has really surged lately. The pitching options aren't as strong....maybe a guy like Pomeranz? Or Tommy Hanson? He appeals to me as a flyer.

Lawrie might not play our at our biggest need, but an athletic 3B that was a former top prospect talent could be a good fit. He can play some 2B if we decided to try Dozier again at SS.
    As flyers maybe. The cost should be minimal for either of them, like a below top 40 prospect or someone in the minors who didn't make it here in the majors. Given your recommendations for pitchers, I would say they would fit in nicely at the Fort Meyers rehab center. Given the number of pitchers there, I think I discovered who the scout was that wanted these pitchers. Nice job there Levi.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    In the last 10 years only 1 hitter has been taken below AA and played even 1 game in the majors before being returned. That was Everth Cabrera. Even at AA it is very rare for a position player to get drafted and stick. You can't just stash a position player like a pitcher. Everybody is needed to contribute. Cabrera for instance played in 100 games and had 438 PAs.
    Think the Twins could find a shortstop of the future that way. They have stashed a position player on their roster as a luxury before.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins have plenty of players on their 40 man roster that could be released if need be. Some of them probably will be this offseason. Or non-tendered.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    He's toast. Complete toast. I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.
    Don't worry too much about getting a little Hanson on your pole, it washes right off.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Think the Twins could find a shortstop of the future that way. They have stashed a position player on their roster as a luxury before.
    Leave Drew Butera out of this.

Liked 1,579 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Don't worry too much about getting a little Hanson on your pole, it washes right off.
    Blue monologue. Pole. Wash off. Exceptional. Well done.

Also want to point out that even "a little Hanson" can lead to this terrifying image...

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The Twins aren't the only team desperate for starting pitching willing to take on salary. If it was that easy don't you think Ryan would have already done it?
    Ryan intentionally take on Salary? No, I don't think Ryan has ever had that philosophy when it comes to trades. I think the first barrier he looks at is cost. While teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Dodgers have picked up more than a few guys on salary dumps.

To be clear, I don't mean to say that the Twins can and should compete with the Yankees of the world on every player. But they have the worst starting staff in baseball and one of the best players in baseball (Mauer,) They have to try and build a pitching staff that can at least be league average so-as giving Mauer a shot at leading this team to the post season. Because currently they are just wasting his talents.

Since Ryan is probally not going trade his top talents, he is going to have to try and trade the Harrisons or Adam Walkers of their system to bring in decent pitchers. Salary is something that he could use to bring a better return.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 08-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem is that most teams looking to salary dump are looking to dump the guys who aren't performing to their salary expectations. This strategy won't net you a good pitcher whose expensive. It will net you a bad one and maybe a prospect for taking on the salary.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say its nearly equally as rare for teams to leave an organizational top 10 prospect exposed. I think the Twins protect him, but it does put them in an interesting position.

Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Another byproduct of 12 and 13 man pitching staffs.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'd say its nearly equally as rare for teams to leave an organizational top 10 prospect exposed. I think the Twins protect him, but it does put them in an interesting position.
    I'm not sure I'd call Kepler an org top 10 guy at this point. He got off to a great start in CR but has largely cooled. Right now, he's tools without a ton of results. He might be a top 10 guy in another org, but he's still very raw. It will be interesting. I don't think it's in the Twins or Kepler's best interest to put him on the 40 man and start burning options when he's in A+ ball, but if someone is going to claim him, you have to.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be interested in trading exactly zero of the Twins top 10 prospects. Maybe some of the pitchers in the next 10 or so (Baxendale, Duffey etc.), but those guys are only throw-ins with Morneau (sigh . . . ) or in the offseason with Willingham or Doumit.

So instead, the Twins need to buy a pitcher. Not two overpriced replacement-level (or worse) pitchers. I would settle for one good top 60 starter in baseball for 2014.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins should be targeting top prospects that have struggled in their debuts. Justin Smoak or Lawrie or whomever that might represent a buy low chance.
    Granted, position players might be easier to find- and Ryan deserved credit for putting the giant Band-Aid on the 2012 season with the acquisitions of Willingham, Doumit and Carroll and especially the Bullpen.

However, to put it mildly, he's been less than successful at finding and then hitting big on buy-low former top prospects. And the biggest area of concern remains Starting Pitching.

As has been discussed, the Cubs hit on Strop and Arrieta. Surely, there must be a dozen teams, at least, that have one or multiple Jake Arrieta-types floating around their organizations. Signing a couple of Scott Feldman-types can help get you pitching buy-low former top prospects- but we'd have to wait until mid-season in 2014 to pull the trigger. What major league talent does Ryan have left to make those types of trades in the offseason? How many talented prospects does it cost and is it worth the risk and effort to acquire 2 Arrietas?

Feldman deal looking sweeter with time - Cubbies Crib - A Chicago Cubs Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
    Last edited by jokin; 08-18-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Granted, position players might be easier to find- and Ryan deserved credit for putting the giant Band-Aid on the 2012 season with the acquisitions of Willingham, Doumit and Carroll and especially the Bullpen.

However, to put it mildly, he's been less than successful at finding and then hitting big on buy-low former top prospects. And the biggest area of concern remains Starting Pitching.

As has been discussed, the Cubs hit on Strop and Arrieta. Surely, there must be a dozen teams, at least, that have one or multiple Jake Arrieta-types floating around their organizations. Signing a couple of Scott Feldman-types can help get you pitching buy-low former top prospects- but we'd have to wait until mid-season in 2014 to pull the trigger. What major league talent does Ryan have left to make those types of trades in the offseason? How many talented prospects does it cost and is it worth the risk and effort to acquire 2 Arrietas?

Feldman deal looking sweeter with time - Cubbies Crib - A Chicago Cubs Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
    Yes, he got Willingham, Doumit and Carroll...but he lost Kubel, Cuddy and Nathan. Saved a good chunk of money, and did nothing with the saved money.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree, this is the other major avenue I'd like to see them pursue - potentially talented salary dumps. People were laughing at LAD a few months ago but a lot of their purely financial moves have catapulted them into being the WS favorites. Obviously the Twins don't have that much spending power, but it is an avenue they have available to them.

I'm not, however, convinced they would pursue this route.
    Wait, what? There is a correlation between spending money and improving your roster? I thought that notion had been thoroughly debunked.

Not only am I not "convinced (that the Twins) would pursue this route", this "avenue" is such a seeming dead end, that, if it happened, you could knock me over with a feather. And a lot of us would be maligned for reacting in a way deemed "too positive"- by those who champion and value mythical bonus "spend-thrift style points"- about the team taking on such risk.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast