Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason trade targets

Offseason trade targets

I'm as excited for the Sano/Buxton era as anyone, but the pitching prospects still seem a ways off. Is there anyone you'd trade them for? What if David Price was available?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. Any trade involving one of those two is a quick no to me.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Trading away valuable prospects who will be in their prime the same years as Buxton and Sano for players who are in their prime now is not a good way to rebuild a franchise.

If the Twins can hang on to their prospects and deepen their farm system the next few years through the draft and trades, we could be a dominant team for a decade.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins should not trade Sano and Buxton, but they have some decisions to make and mainly: Do they trade one of Rosario/Dosier ?(before their stock slips and sell low again). The farm system is not deep enough in many positions to really afford them trades. Others of value I see potentially being trade bait are Harrison, Kepler (in my book, Walker, DJ Hicks and Baby Papi are ahead of these 2) and some of the Lefty relievers. But it is not that deep of a system after the top 10-15 and there is not much overlap...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The Twins have one, if not two, more drafts to get a few players into the system who may make it.

Looking back, you usually get 1-2 players a year that make and stay in the big leagues (Arica and Gibson). You get a few that play a few seasons, but do nothing fantastic (Plouffe, Dozier). You are lucky and pick-up some placeholders (Diamond, Florimon) who may not make it thru their arbitration years. You can always find a free agent or three, some giving you minimal (2-3) years of return (Deduno, Colabarro, Burton). You have some guys who change position and flourish (Perkins) and some that die on the vine (hopefullly not Hicks).

The secret, which the Twins don't even do on a major league level, is to sell when a player is high (like they should've with Young, maybe Willingham) and the same with prospects. Someone shines in High A ball or at New Britain (was Hermsen worth more last year than this year).

It is a constant juggling match. You so hate to give up value, but sometimes you do to obtain value. With prospects it is a guessing game, and also who is blocking whom in the system.

I will say Ryan showed guys by trading not just one but two centerfielders for some pitching last off season. Assuming you aren't competing (and I till like how the Twins keep that manta going -- and amazingly the fans have been supporting the team better of late than ever...which will change when school and lake cabin closings happen in September).

But like an above poster mentions, if Kepler isn't a fer sure in your plans, you package him.

But right now, the Twins have to watch in who and how much they invest in players that will be here in 2-3 year deals before the team matures and becomes a contender. Yes, the powers-that-be will say the Twins will contend in 2014. We think they will have a great nucleus to be a contender in 2015. But the Big Year is what the team will look like in 2016 -- combining current prospects, current team members, looking ahead to who is available as a free agent and for how much, and hoping the Twins can win one before Mauer decides his fate in 2018.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The Twins should not trade Sano and Buxton, but they have some decisions to make and mainly: Do they trade one of Rosario/Dosier ?(before their stock slips and sell low again). The farm system is not deep enough in many positions to really afford them trades. Others of value I see potentially being trade bait are Harrison, Kepler (in my book, Walker, DJ Hicks and Baby Papi are ahead of these 2) and some of the Lefty relievers. But it is not that deep of a system after the top 10-15 and there is not much overlap...
    The Twins have four guys who can really move the needle on a trade in the minors - Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Meyer. Beyond that we are talking about extra pieces in a trade or guys that get role players.

Harrison and Kepler have minimal value right now.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    The better question might be, who should the Twins move this offseason if at all possible.

i'd like to see Doumit, Hammer, and Correia all moved to make room on the roster for other younger players, either those in the Twins system or younger FA. I realize these guys have little value, but it would be nice to open up some space.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The better question might be, who should the Twins move this offseason if at all possible.

i'd like to see Doumit, Hammer, and Correia all moved to make room on the roster for other younger players, either those in the Twins system or younger FA. I realize these guys have little value, but it would be nice to open up some space.
    Whom are we opening up space for? Correia and Gibson are the only locks I see in the rotation. Hammer is absolutely at his lowest value right now. Let's see how it looks at next year's trade deadline. Doumit is a versatile and valuable piece in the AL. I have no doubt he was, is, and will be available in the right deal.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't see us having much to trade to get some value. Guys like Walker, Harrison, Kepler, etc. are potentially nice pieces, but you won't have teams banging down our door to get at them. There's still quite a bit of risk associated with these guys, and in Kepler's case, he may need to be added to the 40 man while playing in A+ next year to avoid rule 5.

I could potentially see them being tossed in to up the value to get another high ceiling guy, but those type deals don't always work very well or happen very often. If say Willingham started off next season hitting like last season, you might be able to get a top 100 guy for him tossing in a guy like Walker... Key word is might. A GM would definitely need to be desperate.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yeah, I don't see us having much to trade to get some value. Guys like Walker, Harrison, Kepler, etc. are potentially nice pieces, but you won't have teams banging down our door to get at them. There's still quite a bit of risk associated with these guys, and in Kepler's case, he may need to be added to the 40 man while playing in A+ next year to avoid rule 5.

I could potentially see them being tossed in to up the value to get another high ceiling guy, but those type deals don't always work very well or happen very often. If say Willingham started off next season hitting like last season, you might be able to get a top 100 guy for him tossing in a guy like Walker... Key word is might. A GM would definitely need to be desperate.
    I'm not sure anybody would take Kepler in a Rule 5 yet, he's so far down in the system.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A team would take Kepler. No doubt.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    The Twins should be targeting top prospects that have struggled in their debuts. Justin Smoak or Lawrie or whomever that might represent a buy low chance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The Twins should be targeting top prospects that have struggled in their debuts. Justin Smoak or Lawrie or whomever that might represent a buy low chance.
    I'm not against that, especially if they play at a position of need, but I don't those guys will come cheaply either.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    The Twins should be targeting starting pitching, and when they're done with that, they should target more starting pitching. I have little doubt they are already targeting their preferred choices in the second tier free agent market. Also, with the high draft choice they are earning, I'm sure they are following certain college starters much more closely than others. They will take the BPA, but with a draft projected to be 7-8 deep, a college starter would be ideal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Great idea but a year too late on Smoak

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Great idea but a year too late on Smoak
    Yeah, he has really surged lately. The pitching options aren't as strong....maybe a guy like Pomeranz? Or Tommy Hanson? He appeals to me as a flyer.

Lawrie might not play our at our biggest need, but an athletic 3B that was a former top prospect talent could be a good fit. He can play some 2B if we decided to try Dozier again at SS.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 08-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.

I don't have much confidence that TR will make any meaningful trades this offseason. He's waiting on the kids at this point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    I don't have much confidence that TR will make any meaningful trades this offseason. He's waiting on the kids at this point.
    I thought that had more to do with the fact that he has little to trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Yeah, he has really surged lately. The pitching options aren't as strong....maybe a guy like Pomeranz? Or Tommy Hanson? He appeals to me as a flyer.

Lawrie might not play our at our biggest need, but an athletic 3B that was a former top prospect talent could be a good fit. He can play some 2B if we decided to try Dozier again at SS.
    He's toast. Complete toast. I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    He's toast. Complete toast. I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.
    I know he's fallen off the face of the earth from his former hype (another cautionary tale), but what's your reasoning? I know you're a Braves-guy, so I'm sure you have some good insights.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast