Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: RNC votes to exclude NBC and CNN from 2016 GOP primary debates

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A kydoty's Avatar
    Posts
    270
    Like
    2
    Liked 89 Times in 35 Posts

    RNC votes to exclude NBC and CNN from 2016 GOP primary debates

    RNC votes to exclude CNN, NBC from 2016 presidential primary debates

    I guess early congratulations to President-Elect Hillary Clinton are in order.

    "Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,485
    Like
    150
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    In the end, it probably won't matter, because Primaries are all about appealing to your base, and I can just about guarantee that the Republican base doesn't watch MSNBC or CNN.
    However, it's just more bad publicity for a party that can come off as paranoid and spiteful at times.

    Are they paranoid that MSNBC is going to edit the coverage to make it appear that a candidate said something other than what he actually did, like some bad Kung Fu film?

  3. #3
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,804
    Like
    173
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Are they paranoid that MSNBC is going to edit the coverage to make it appear that a candidate said something other than what he actually did, like some bad Kung Fu film?
    Well, in fairness, they are developing a pretty disturbing trend of selective editing.

    That said, this is a pretty stupid move. There is literally no upside to it at all. Especially to do it to CNN.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,585
    Like
    18
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    This party just keeps falling further and further off the deep end. I don't get what they are trying to do here.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,824
    Like
    9
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    I think this will make the debates better.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,765
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,397
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, in fairness, they are developing a pretty disturbing trend of selective editing.

    That said, this is a pretty stupid move. There is literally no upside to it at all. Especially to do it to CNN.
    MSNBC is to liberals what FOX is to conservatives. MSNBC was 'started' as a ... counter-balance (for lack of a better term) to FOX. They both do their editing to play to their base. I watch neither for news, but I do enjoy Rachel Maddow. Enjoy ... as in entertainment, not news. I've always kind of considered CNN somewhere/somewhat in the middle, so yeah, guess I don't understand that one. But my conservative friends have always considered CNN part of the 'liberal media' so, yeah, not surprised.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,485
    Like
    150
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    MSNBC is to liberals what FOX is to conservatives. MSNBC was 'started' as a ... counter-balance (for lack of a better term) to FOX. They both do their editing to play to their base. I watch neither for news, but I do enjoy Rachel Maddow. Enjoy ... as in entertainment, not news. I've always kind of considered CNN somewhere/somewhat in the middle, so yeah, guess I don't understand that one. But my conservative friends have always considered CNN part of the 'liberal media' so, yeah, not surprised.
    Curious why you don't consider Maddow news?
    I understand that what she chooses to report on is slanted, but that doesn't bother me on a cable news network. I think she goes out of her way to present only FACTS, not just making up complete speculation (or even flat out lies, as some do), which to me is all you can ask for from a cable news anchor.

  8. #8
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,765
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,397
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Curious why you don't consider Maddow news?
    I understand that what she chooses to report on is slanted, but that doesn't bother me on a cable news network. I think she goes out of her way to present only FACTS, not just making up complete speculation (or even flat out lies, as some do), which to me is all you can ask for from a cable news anchor.
    It's the presentation. While, yes, there are things she does present that are news and newsworthy, it's done so in a format that is more than just presenting facts. Don't get me wrong ... I enjoy her show, immensely, but I don't think it's presented as a news program. It's more of a commentary program.

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,348
    Like
    410
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    This party just keeps falling further and further off the deep end. I don't get what they are trying to do here.
    Well, under Bush it seemed to be a goal to be as Democrat as you could get, and they haven't quite figured out that this is bad. Then they suddenly decided to start pandering to their base under Obama, but they've so thoroughly run out the Libertarian base that all they have left is the evangelical base, who are generally too stupid to realize that they don't care that much for them either, and of course borrow and spend republicans.

    They've lost their way. Personally I wish they'd just crash and burn so that the Libertarians or Constitutionalists can take their place. At least then all of these Democrats masquerading as Republicans would have to go join the Democratic party.

  10. #10
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,348
    Like
    410
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Curious why you don't consider Maddow news?
    I understand that what she chooses to report on is slanted, but that doesn't bother me on a cable news network. I think she goes out of her way to present only FACTS, not just making up complete speculation (or even flat out lies, as some do), which to me is all you can ask for from a cable news anchor.
    On this topic, I'm tired of a few things:

    1) The slant in general. Don't care if it's liberal or conservative... It all tends to be statist. Report the news. Have a few different opinions on commentary. This isn't difficult.
    2) The assumption that most people are too stupid to recognize said slant (hence their actions in banning CNN and MSNBC. I'm just waiting for the Dems to ban Fox News, but they are too busy laughing their tails off).

  11. #11
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,804
    Like
    173
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    MSNBC is to liberals what FOX is to conservatives. MSNBC was 'started' as a ... counter-balance (for lack of a better term) to FOX. They both do their editing to play to their base. I watch neither for news, but I do enjoy Rachel Maddow. Enjoy ... as in entertainment, not news. I've always kind of considered CNN somewhere/somewhat in the middle, so yeah, guess I don't understand that one. But my conservative friends have always considered CNN part of the 'liberal media' so, yeah, not surprised.
    Totally agree. In fact, I would argue MSNBC is worse at that game right now because they are consciously trying to be the lefty version of Fox. Fox and their major personalities are just too dumb to see themselves for what they are. MSNBC is actually trying to match the lack of credibility and over-the-top slant. I pretty much find them unwatchable, but the same is true for Fox.

    thats why I don't get the CNN hate. Yeah, their top personalities are liberals....but t least they try to be a real news agency.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,711
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    A truly bizarre decision. Having worked with some of the top "thinkers" in the party, it doesn't surprise me, but this is a great example of groupthink and insularness (to coin a word).
    Lighten up Francis....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.