Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So the minor league teams finished 2-2?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is correct. I edited. I had one of the scores flip-flopped. Thank you!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is good to see Herrmann, Morales, and Hermsen doing well. Gutierrez is an issue. Something has really gone wrong there.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopefully not bad news for Gutierrez. He's one of the guys I think of when people are constantly claiming the Twins only draft soft-tossing control guys. Shooter Hunt was another.

Tyler Robertson almost deserved pitcher of the day for getting out of that jam.

Any word on why Arcia has been out of the lineup lately?

Not a good defensive day for the Beloit infield...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, so many people think that taking college pitchers means that they get to the big leagues quicker... and of course that is generally true. Hunt obviously had the extreme control problems. Gutierrez has his own control problems and his inability to develop a second pitch has made that worse.

Arcia was bothered by a leg injury in spring training. It's flared up again. He came out of the game a few nights ago in the 12th inning. He's only expected to miss a few games, but it's been 2 more.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where do you think DeVries ranks right now if the Twins need to call up another starting pitcher, compared to the other arms in Rochester? Ryan hasn't been as hesitant as Smith to add folks to the 40 man roster if he thought they could help....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's good to see the minor league teams being competitive again. I think Smith really neglected the minors. As I can see already, the signing of Willingham was perfect for this ballpark. While I was sad to see Cuddy go, Terry Ryan made the right move. I feel much better about the future with Terry Ryan in charge.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    It is good to see Herrmann, Morales, and Hermsen doing well. Gutierrez is an issue. Something has really gone wrong there.
    I watched last night's game when Gutierrez was laboring, very wild. Later in the inning, the trainer came out and removed him. It has been reported this morning that it is some type of shoulder injury. No wonder he didn't look good if he was dealing with that.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Where do you think DeVries ranks right now if the Twins need to call up another starting pitcher, compared to the other arms in Rochester? Ryan hasn't been as hesitant as Smith to add folks to the 40 man roster if he thought they could help....
    DeVries put up numbers pretty similar to Terry Doyle in the AFL last fall. He would certainly be behind Diamond and Walters at this point, but probably third.

SP Order: 1-4 (Pavano, Liriano, Blackburn, Marquis), 5-6 (Hendriks, Swarzak), 7 - Diamond, 8 - Walters, 9 - DeVries?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Got to attend my first Red Wings game of the year last night. I missed Dozier's double in the first inning, and honestly I was paying more attention to conversation than the game for a lot of it. But I did notice Benson put an incredibly smooth swing on the ball when he got his single, but he also looked badly fooled by a couple change-ups and swung through a few more breaking balls. Hollimon's homer was a laser into the right-field bullpen.

Gutierrez had nothing resembling control. He bounced one two feet in front of the plate, threw a couple others at around eye level, and hit a batter with a slider before serving one up in the middle of the plate for a three-run shot. Maybe his shoulder was the cause of his wildness, but he's never had good control and last night was ugly. I'm not all that optimistic, but hopefully he manages to find that control that's been eluding him through his entire career.