Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delmon

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    The Twins could of had Longoria instead of Young and Harris for Garza & Bartlett, but Punto was Gardy's pet and could play ss & 3b. See how well that worked out.
    I don't buy that. Longoria was already a known prospect who hadn't had any trouble roughing up minor league umpires. No way the Rays were dangling Longoria for anyone.

Willingham replaced Cuddyer. Willingham did not replace Cuddyer and Delmon. If you want to compare Willingham's stats with Delmon's, fine, but then you need to come up with a different replacement for Cuddyer's numbers.
    Last edited by WJ; 04-16-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Friday was a disaster in the field for Delmon. He looked better on Saturday and Sunday.

Delmon looked positively svelte when they showed a side-by-side of him and Prince Fielder (Prince on 3rd, DY on 2nd). But what was up with the 2 HBP and the walk the other day? Positively un-Delmonlike.

Oh, and the Tigers had some definite RISP problems during the Chicago series. Stranded an awful-lot of guys.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mastroianni had a quote during Spring, contrasting the Twins camp to Toronto's, saying that if he made a play like that for Toronto he would get reamed (his word) for it, while Gardy told him quietly in the dugout "let's keep the 360's to a minimum, OK?" Wonder if Gardy was that circumspect with Delmon, though.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably the most telling thing is that Young is getting replaced for defense in the late innings. You don't see those moves that often any more (although the Rangers do it) with the limited benches that ML teams have now.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Picking on Delmon for his defense is not fair, it is like picking on Drew Butera for his offense, Matt LeCroy for his speed or me for my spelling. Defense is something Delmon has to do, not something he wants to do when you have a team of Rivals for the DH position. I don't understand the cult of Delmon, maybe it will click for him and he will take off like it did for Big Papi. (But they test more now then they did when David started to stay healthy and go the other way off the Green Monster. I don't know of a injection for your glove.) What Delmon needs is the old Matt Lawton supersized glove, you know the one that looks like the big camping chair in Menards. It won't help route running and instincts he has yet to pick up after 15 plus years of playing organized baseball, but he could be able to swipe at the ball and maybe knock it down so it will not roll to the fence quite as often, thus saving his legs for his next at bat.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that:
    a. getting rid of Delmon was a bad move.
    b. getting rid of him for close to nothing was a worse move and
    c. sending him to a division rival was inane.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that:
    So you would have paid him $6.375M this offseason? That essentially means swapping Delmon for Willingham.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    So you would have paid him $6.375M this offseason? That essentially means swapping Delmon for Willingham.
    Not exactly... Willingham was Cuddyer's replacement. Delmon has not been replaced

I'd keep him as a starting RF or DH (where he belongs) and if the money was an issue I would have not signed Marquis and would have found a better alternative than Capps for half the money. That would make the $ about equal.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, let's make fun of Delmon some more! It's obvious that the Tigers made a bad move in acquiring him and his...

...wait, .380 on-base percentage?

Oh, but his poor fielding has to be costing Detroit ballgames and...

...they're 6-3 and leading the division?

Oh.

Hey, let's put up Jim Thome's blooper reel while we're at it. Oh, that's right, Thome was never asked to field a position.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

Quote Originally Posted by WJ View Post
    Hey, let's put up Jim Thome's blooper reel while we're at it. Oh, that's right, Thome was never asked to field a position.
    That's actually a great point. Delmon's a terrible outfielder, but he was also a RF'er/borderline DH when we got him from Tampa Bay. Gardy's love for Cuddyer forced him into LF, and Kubel wasn't exactly a great OF'er in his own right. There are plenty Twins players who would've been exposed if they had been forced to move to LF...Delmon was "awarded" that task, ironically, because he was thought to be a better athlete than some of the alternatives.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
    Yeah, let's make fun of Delmon some more! It's obvious that the Tigers made a bad move in acquiring him and his...

...wait, .380 on-base percentage?

Oh, but his poor fielding has to be costing Detroit ballgames and...

...they're 6-3 and leading the division?

Oh.
    34 plate appearances this year. Even when he was "on fire" for Detroit last year, he only managed a .756 OPS.

Blog Entries
    Also, he's been hit three times this year so far. That dramatically aids his OBP in 34 plate appearances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    That's actually a great point. Delmon's a terrible outfielder, but he was also a RF'er/borderline DH when we got him from Tampa Bay. Gardy's love for Cuddyer forced him into LF, and Kubel wasn't exactly a great OF'er in his own right. There are plenty Twins players who would've been exposed if they had been forced to move to LF...Delmon was "awarded" that task, ironically, because he was thought to be a better athlete than some of the alternatives.
    What about 15 years in age difference between the two? Also, what about the fact that Delmon absolutely did NOT want to be a DH?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    I think that:
    Did you see the video??? He looked like a human post hole auger, not an MLB outfileder. I'll give him credit for one thing, he at least made it looked like he was trying.

I could watch that video for the rest of my life and laugh everytime!! Love it.

Blog Entries
    I think that:
    Lester Oliveros might end up being a better value than Delmon Young. Full stop.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Don't you forget Delmon had a 2 run homer and is batting .300 He is better than any ofer the Twins have and they gave him away for notting!
    Took me nearly a week before I gave in to temptation and opened this thread. The main reason I didn't was because I didn't really want to read nonsense and lies. Took until the tenth reply to get some of both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12