Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better than we thought?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Better than we thought?

The Twins currently have a .453 win % which puts them on track for 75 wins this season. If the Twins win 74-78 games this year, I think that would put Gardenhire in a pretty good spot to maintain his job as manager seeing how bad the rotation is and the fact that the lineup underperformed. With how the Twins have performed lately will Gardenhire keep his job? I think so.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm not sure the talent is any better than we thought, but the record sure is...at least IMO. I think Gardy and his coaching staff have to get some credit for that if they end up winning that many games.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I have a feeling Gardy will be back next year. And I think we'll end up with 71 wins, better than most expected.

In my opinion, Gardy hasn't done to bad this year, compared to some other years he had me beside myself.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going into the season, I thought they'd end up in the 72-75 win range. Dunno if I publicly predicted that (I tend to avoid prediction threads) but it appears that's where they'll end up if for no other reason than it's really, really hard to lose 90+ games three seasons in a row when you have guys like Joe Mauer, Josh Willingham, Ryan Doumit, etc. on the roster.

And that's the reason I wanted to see Ryan pick up some legit free agents this offseason. If the Twins had Dempster right now and got a lucky break or two with Plouffe, Dozier, Arcia, Hicks, etc., they'd be borderline "contenders".

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 167 Posts
    These last 3 years have been great lets keep doing the same thing.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    These last 3 years have been great lets keep doing the same thing.
    Yup...not winning but having a great farm system is what every team should aspire too. :-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I have assumed Gardy would be back ever since Ryan put himself between a rock and a hard place and publicly said the losing isn't on Gardenhire.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I think we are a little better than it seems, and if I were Gardy, I would try to beat the current pace in September, so when the old year-end review comes around he looks even a little better. Deservedly, I think we've leaned a little more toward getting a look at guys than winning at all costs, if I were him, I'd tilt the other way from here on out. If I were him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    This is pretty much what the board predicted.....not sure they are "better than expected".

Gardy isn't going anywhere, these are the Twins afterall.
    Lighten up Francis....

I honestly don't think of this team as being any better than the 2011 or 2012 teams at this point in the season. Every time I glance at the standings, I'm amazed that we're only 9 games under .500. They have a 27-28 record at home.

Still, that's pretty deceptive, IMO. It probably doesn't hurt that the AL added a total bottom-feeder (Houston), that Chicago has been even more terrible, and that Toronto decided to become the Florida Marlins North. Also, Twins teams with losing records tend to get even worse at the end of the season, so this may not be the best time to judge.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The team has had three really bad 10-game stretches. Obviously, those count. But all we would need to do next year to be a .500 team is to go .500 in those bad stretches. That's a matter of a better starter or two. That's why I'm much more confident at this time this year than at this time last year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The team has had three really bad 10-game stretches. Obviously, those count. But all we would need to do next year to be a .500 team is to go .500 in those bad stretches. That's a matter of a better starter or two. That's why I'm much more confident at this time this year than at this time last year.
    I hear Bronson Arroyo is looking to get out of Cinci

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is pretty much what the board predicted.....not sure they are "better than expected".

Gardy isn't going anywhere, these are the Twins afterall.
    I predicted 65-97...so record-wise, I said they were better than expected. I don't think the talent is better than expected at all.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    There is a pretty big gap between what the Twins have for starting pitchers and what they need in order to contend. You can see the potential though. Defensively, the Twins are capable of playing at a very high level, especially with Hicks in CF. The offense is better with Willingham back, but it's still below average. Help is on the way for the offense, but not for the pitching staff.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team has shown improvements (defense, bullpen), no change (starting pitching), and disappointment (offense - was expected to improve) over last years team. Overall the team is better but this group is years (as in Sano, Buxton, Mays, Meyer, and the low level arms) away from competing, still. I think the team will be young enough and cheap enough in a couple years that they should spend big next off-season to get a good product out there, then turn it over to the kids and dominate into the next decade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can't agree about the defense improving...while the middle IF has clearly turned gold glove caliber, the OF is as bad as it can be and 3B is still a mess. Going by defensive efficiency, we're 28th in the majors. We were 18th at season's end last year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    The Twins are pretty close to median in terms of runs allowed.....they aren't even close to median in runs scored. They are much closer to the leader in runs allowed than runs scored. I don't think people realize just how bad the offense is this year. Even adding 1 good starter would really help this team. More importantly, they can't have the Hicks / Floriman / Morneau /Plouffe / Doumit tandem in the lineup every day and expect to score runs.
    Lighten up Francis....

In my opinion, whether Gardy keeps his job or not should already be decided and shouldn't have much to do with whether the team wins 65 games or 75 games this year. The better question is who do you want coaching the upcoming wave of prospects? You've got Sano, Rosario, Buxton, and Meyer with debuts in the next year or two, and Hicks, Arcia, and Gibson with a taste of the bigs already. What head coach is going to help these 7 players reach their potential? Is it Gardy or someone else? I don't see how winning a few more games than expected this year changes the answer to this question.

Full disclosure - this isn't really my idea, I'm pretty much ripping it off from Phil Mackey.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The "Twins might be a little better than we thought" thing is now happening for the 3rd time this year. The first 2 times, the team fell flat on its face. It's nice that we have been able to beat up on the White Sox and Astros over the past 10 days, but I don't think it means very much as far as how good of a team this is. I don't think we get to 75 wins--65 seems more likely to me.

EDIT: I now notice the Twins have 53 wins, which is to say 65 would be a complete implosion. I should say 70 wins to me is more likely than 75 however.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    They are better than we feared. They are back to playing watchable baseball, after a very dark time in July.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast