Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jose Abreu defects

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day after reading Passan's article on Cuban defectors. I wonder if one of the reasons the Twins are never in on Cubans is the shady agents/negotating that happens? They are in on so many other countries in that region but never appear to have any interest in any Cubans. Certainly would fit with Ryan's personality/morality from an outside perspective.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day after reading Passan's article on Cuban defectors. I wonder if one of the reasons the Twins are never in on Cubans is the shady agents/negotating that happens? They are in on so many other countries in that region but never appear to have any interest in any Cubans. Certainly would fit with Ryan's personality/morality from an outside perspective.
    Sounds plausible, but let's not pretend that shady things aren't happening elsewhere in the Caribean, as well. Locking down Sano might very well have been Bill Smith's heroic, unsung effort on behalf of the Twins future fortunes, who knows how much he had to get his hands dirty in linking Sano.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Sounds plausible, but let's not pretend that shady things aren't happening elsewhere in the Caribean, as well. Locking down Sano might very well have been Bill Smith's heroic, unsung effort on behalf of the Twins future fortunes, who knows how much he had to get his hands dirty in linking Sano.
    By all accounts what happens with Cuba is unique.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins had a pretty poor overall record with all international guys before Sano too. I think the Twins are just loathe to spend much money on "outside" players, particularly amateurs, unless it is controlled by draft, spending caps etc.

That fact is just magnified by Cuba, because the only Cubans to hit the market got big contracts and bidding wars -- there weren't any cheap modest Cuban talents to snag and develop like the Twins wanted (Rivas, Rincon, etc.).

Heck, given the higher profile of Cuban talents, the contracts with them are probably more fair and reputable than those involving other Latin American players (even if the road to those contracts is murky, as your link suggests).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    By all accounts what happens with Cuba is unique.
    The murder and/or imprisonment of government detractors or the enslavement of professional athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The murder and/or imprisonment of government detractors or the enslavement of professional athletes?
    Both?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm with spycake, it is about money, plain and simple. Either that, or they are really bad at scouting Cubans....
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910