Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Article: Twins Trade Jamey Carroll to the Royals

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,440
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Twins Trade Jamey Carroll to the Royals


  2. #2
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,431
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240
    Second PTBNL trade for the Twins. It'll make for a couple of interesting days in the offseason when these are announced. We'll get to see what the Twins scouting department comes up with.

    (I sure hope we hear something. Cuz if not, it's just more cash.)

  3. #3
    Dang. Love Jamey Carroll. He's everything that's good about pro baseball - heart and hustle. I really hope the Royals can make it happen and give Jamey another shot at the post season.

  4. #4
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,431
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240
    He seems like he would be a good coach in the organization. I think Gardy has even said as much. I hope trading him doesn't lessen the chances that happens.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    He seems like he would be a good coach in the organization. I think Gardy has even said as much. I hope trading him doesn't lessen the chances that happens.
    I agree 100%, John.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,065
    Like
    593
    Liked 389 Times in 258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I agree 100%, John.
    Me too, especially since the return is difficult to predict and the roster spot opening only buys 3 weeks of looking at a prospect before sept call ups.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Who will the Twins bring up in his place? Eduardo Escobar seems like he'd be the most likely choice.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,221
    Like
    100
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    Exactly what I expected--Royals were looking for an INF who could help them. I hope he takes KC to the WC! Good luck to him and KC. PTBNL? Hmm, difficult to get excited about that, but somebody and a cost-cutting move by the FO! That's our Ryan!

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,574
    Like
    2,585
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Me too, especially since the return is difficult to predict and the roster spot opening only buys 3 weeks of looking at a prospect before sept call ups.
    This move is probably more about opening a slot on the 40-man for Mastro than about who replaces him on the 25-man. And probably even more about moving him to a contender, as a professional courtesy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    427
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    This is about the kind of trade I would of expected. The Twins have been showcasing Carroll, Thomas, and Doumit. Of course Doumit is hurt, but none of these guys seem to fit in future plans so even minimal returns make sense. I don't doubt that the Twins would trade Willingham or Morneau but I rather suspect that they want at least one of those guys back next year.

    I also think that they would move one of their relievers(maybe Deunsing) if anybody is interested. As much as many seem to want it, I would be a little surprised if they manage to move Correia or Pelfrey.

  11. #11
    Great. Our best pitcher.

    In all seriousness, good for Carroll. He'll get to play a more significant role with a team that's been playing some good winning baseball as of late. He's a smart, gutty player and he deserves to play in games that matter. If the Twins can get any kind of value for him at all at age 39, it's a good move.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A raindog's Avatar
    Posts
    297
    Like
    45
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Good move, I'm happy for Carroll. The guy is probably going to start a lot of 2nd base. The Royals have been starting someone even older, Miguel Tejada, along with some other misfits. Carroll will be an upgrade.
    Last edited by raindog; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.

  13. #13
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    So predictable that you would call it a cost-cutting move, Kwak. Right.
    Well, considering that the trade cut the costs of the remainder of Carroll's contract this year and the $250,000 buyout of next year, which likely totals around $1.5M, and that the Twins will likely end up with $20,000-$50,000 in return for the trade, I'd say Kwak was just about exactly, "Right".

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Exactly what I expected--Royals were looking for an INF who could help them. I hope he takes KC to the WC! Good luck to him and KC. PTBNL? Hmm, difficult to get excited about that, but somebody and a cost-cutting move by the FO! That's our Ryan!
    Cost cutting? You really think moving Jamie Carroll is about cost cutting. That of course is a rhetorical questions because that is ridiculous. Does it really make sense to take playing time away from others by playing Jamie Carroll at this point? Can we likely use that spot on the 40 man in ways that benefit the team in the future?
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 08-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEnthusiasm View Post
    Great. Our best pitcher.

    In all seriousness, good for Carroll. He'll get to play a more significant role with a team that's been playing some good winning baseball as of late. He's a smart, gutty player and he deserves to play in games that matter. If the Twins can get any kind of value for him at all at age 39, it's a good move.
    Exactly right. A classy guy now playing for a manager that likes crafty and crusty veterans bolstering his kiddie corps. Perfect fit at the bottom of the KC order for the Royals stretch run. Best of luck to Jamey.

  16. #16
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Cost cutting? You really think moving Jamie Carroll is about cost cutting. That of course is a rhetorical questions because that is ridiculous.
    Your declarative statement doesn't necessarily make it so. Please explain further. About $1.5M saved by the Twins.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A raindog's Avatar
    Posts
    297
    Like
    45
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    I think it's a combination of cost cutting and a baseball move. Saving 1.5 million is okay for a team going nowhere. Getting a 39 year old off the roster makes sense for a rebuilding team.

  18. #18
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    I think it's a combination of cost cutting and a baseball move. Saving 1.5 million is okay for a team going nowhere. Getting a 39 year old off the roster makes sense for a rebuilding team.
    You nailed it, Dog. The knee-jerk defenders over-reacted to what was probably the best business move the Twins had left with Jamey (unless maybe Jeter was declared out for the year and the Yankees were competing with the Royals).

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,574
    Like
    2,585
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Moderator note: this thread spun quickly into name calling, and this needs to stop now.

  20. #20
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator note: this thread spun quickly into name calling, and this needs to stop now.
    This is a sincere inquiry as I am assuming that you might have been directing your comment at my post. Is the accurately descriptive (and neutral in my mind) term "knee-jerk defenders" considered name-calling? If so, I apologize. The original poster wondered if the move was a typical cost-cutting move by the FO and was first mocked for his thought, and then called "ridiculous" by a second poster. Are those "namecalling?"

    To wit-- Is calling someone's post the "laughingstock" of Twins Daily, name- calling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.