Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delmon DFAed

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries

Delmon DFAed

Delmon Young was designated for assignment so that the Phils could add Casper Wells. Need I say more? If Oliveros comes back and posts any substantial innings, the trade of Delmon Young will be a success.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The trade was with Detroit, so his free agent signing with the Phillies isn't really part of the Young/Oliveros match up (so to speak).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Am I the only one who is sad that a guy with that much potential let it all go to waste. Going to go out on a limb here but Delmon wont be in the league two years from now. His brother had a better career.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The trade was with Detroit, so his free agent signing with the Phillies isn't really part of the Young/Oliveros match up (so to speak).
    But it continues to show just how bad he is as a player. I was very happy when that trade happened.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Am I the only one who is sad that a guy with that much potential let it all go to waste. Going to go out on a limb here but Delmon wont be in the league two years from now. His brother had a better career.
    If he had only learned some patience... I think he could have been a monster (offensively at least)...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Good chance he doesn't see MLB time next year.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I won't count Demon Young's career over for a few years yet. The guy has a power bat, so he could catch on with a team looking for a DH in the playoffs. In fact, that might be the only time he finds work from now on, seeing what a crappy outfielder he is.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Good chance he doesn't see MLB time next year.
    I wanted to say that. I just feel like the Astros giving him a shot or something, especially after they wasted time on Pena this year.

Yes, you wonder what the problem was.

The Phillies seemed to have let him go because he was a cheap pickup and they wanted to avoid paying him even more to hang around and not play much,

That he signed for $750,000 means someone, somewhere will give him a chance,, but it has to be in the American League where he can DH.

He is eating humble pie right now. Someone will give him a chance if they can continue to sign him for less than a million. And he will keep trying to get a job.

If no one picks him up for the September push, I will be surprised.

I don't see him playing Indy League ball at all.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 89 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If he had only learned some patience... I think he could have been a monster (offensively at least)...
    And if he could stay away from the dollar menu. The guy took his job seriously for about half a season, and not coincidentally, it was by far the most productive time of his career.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Delmon will ever be the offensive monster he might have been. He has shown flashes (a half-season with the Twins, two post-seasons with the Tigers), but can't sustain it. Because he is a bad outfielder, his great arm is marginalized and because of his personality, he is a tough guy to like (if that matters). I don't doubt that some team (maybe the Orioles) will take a chance on him, but he was DFAed so that the Phillies could add Casper Wells, who has been on five teams in one year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    I think he was physically superior as a youngster, who also had MLB exposure. Unfortunately, that may have made him look better than his actual ceiling.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Delmon was about to reach some bonus incentive in his contract, and Wells will be cheaper over the course of the season. I bet Delmon ends up somewhere before the season is out...

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB trade rumors says that the Rays are looking at either Paul Konerko or Delmon Young. Wouldn't that be ironic-Delmon returning to his former team!

EDIT: Delmon cleared waivers and got released. He's a FA now. Not sure if anyone else knew that.

Liked 89 Times in 35 Posts
    And he has rejoined the Rays.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    A few years back, Delmon hit a batting practice homer in Kansas City that is probably the furthest ball I have ever seen hit. The ball hit a table on the fly in the area of the Royals Hall of Fame. The table just shattered. It was quite a sight and a majestic shot. I never was a fan of his but I was impressed with him on that day. I hope he can turn it around.

Liked 3,026 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    A few years back, Delmon hit a batting practice homer in Kansas City that is probably the furthest ball I have ever seen hit. The ball hit a table on the fly in the area of the Royals Hall of Fame. The table just shattered. It was quite a sight and a majestic shot. I never was a fan of his but I was impressed with him on that day. I hope he can turn it around.
    Yup. Watching Delmon take BP was worth the price of a ticket, and always made me wonder just how good he could have been.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    And cows could have wings.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 1,206 Times in 702 Posts
    But hey, he's playing in October and just gave the Rays a 1-0 lead.

There's just a lot of "what could have beens" with DY

Does TB have any players left from the Garza trade (after TB I mean, Cubs?) and was Bartlett dealt to San Diego or just released. Just wondering if TB is still repeaing rewards from the DY/Garza trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast