Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Article: Thursday Night Lights

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,438
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Thursday Night Lights


  2. #2
    On Vacation All-Star
    Posts
    4,139
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    35
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Another thing that needs to be mentioned for the Rochester game: It was a Butera error (almost typed Buterror, freudian slip ) which opened the floodgates in the 7-run inning against Rochester. I made an April Fools' joke about Butera becoming an outfielder in this organization, but it seems that in the 2 highest levels (AAA, MLB) they like to use Catchers (instead of Angels, bad movie reference) in the outfield (Butera, Towles, Doumit.) Might be a trend, but I hope it ends pretty quickly, since there are more suitable players to play the OF (Heck, they DH Bates last night. I bet he could do better than Drew or Towles out there when Dinkelman needs a rest)

    On another note, it was great to see Marquis' performance last night. I know AA is not MLB, but finding the strike zone (a problem Marquis had throughout the Spring) is pretty much the same whether you are facing little league or major league opponents.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,627
    Like
    1,125
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    I can't believe Butera is playing the OF. Mind boggling. Is Sano being pitched around, or is he learning patience?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    823
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Another thing that needs to be mentioned for the Rochester game: It was a Butera error (almost typed Buterror, freudian slip ) which opened the floodgates in the 7-run inning against Rochester. I made an April Fools' joke about Butera becoming an outfielder in this organization, but it seems that in the 2 highest levels (AAA, MLB) they like to use Catchers (instead of Angels, bad movie reference) in the outfield (Butera, Towles, Doumit.) Might be a trend, but I hope it ends pretty quickly, since there are more suitable players to play the OF (Heck, they DH Bates last night. I bet he could do better than Drew or Towles out there when Dinkelman needs a rest)

    On another note, it was great to see Marquis' performance last night. I know AA is not MLB, but finding the strike zone (a problem Marquis had throughout the Spring) is pretty much the same whether you are facing little league or major league opponents.

    It's a tough spot. They've decided they need 3 catchers, and then 2 of the OFs get dinged, but apparently not serious enough to go DL.

    All 3 have had their moments catching. Definitely not their best spots being in the outfield. I agree, Bates as DH probably should be in the OF instead.

    Herrmann has spoiled them in the org. Rohlfing too, both playing in the OF. Heck even Rams played LF the other night.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    499
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    26
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    14
    MWW - I saw only 4 or 5 Sano at-bats in Spring Training, but it was very apparent he was being pitched around. In those at-bats, he walked twice, and I don't think he saw a single decent pitch to hit. If he's discovering that's what they're doing to him, and he's taking those walks, that is him learning patience.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I could probably find it, but likely someone here could answer quickly off the top of their head. I know I've known at some point, but somehow I've forgotten...from which side is it that Hicks has struggled to hit?

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,438
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Rochester OF... it's a temporary thing. Tosoni lacerated a finger on a play at the plate. Likely out a week. Dinkelman has been out for 2 days with a right-hand injury... considered day-to-day. So, they're in a bind. I would have thought Bates could have played OF too though.

    Also, Wilkin Ramirez is already on the DL.
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 04-13-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added Ramirez sentence.

  8. #8
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,438
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I could probably find it, but likely someone here could answer quickly off the top of their head. I know I've known at some point, but somehow I've forgotten...from which side is it that Hicks has struggled to hit?
    He has struggled as a left-handed hitter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    585
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hey Seth, I'm going to be a nitpicker for a moment a point out that we are in daylight savings right now so for example the Snappers play at 6:30 (CDT) today.
    Again, glad to see Hicks is hitting from the left side of the plate. I've been in the group that wanted him to give up on being a switch hitter but I would not mind one bit being proved wrong there.
    It seems like Sano is being given the Bonds treatment some days.
    Last edited by righty8383; 04-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    116
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks for these great minor league updates... They're one of my favorite things at Twins Daily... It might be nice though, if at the end of each summary, you had the link to the box score... Just a thought...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.

  11. #11
    Seth, Where is Kyle Gibson in his rehab? Is he throwing off a mound yet?

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,438
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    Seth, Where is Kyle Gibson in his rehab? Is he throwing off a mound yet?
    He was scheduled to throw off a mound for the first time June 7th or something like that.

  13. #13
    On Vacation All-Star
    Posts
    4,139
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    35
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He was scheduled to throw off a mound for the first time June 7th or something like that.
    He is actually ahead of schedule. I saw him a couple of weeks ago participate in a pitcher's fielding drill in Fort Myers with a whole bunch of AAA-A pitchers. They were actually throwing the ball to the catcher and he was just soft tossing it, but overhead. Which is a great sign. Here is he on March 29th. You can say that he is throwing of a mound, but he is just soft tossing:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.