Thread: Article: Thursday Night Lights

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Thursday Night Lights

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another thing that needs to be mentioned for the Rochester game: It was a Butera error (almost typed Buterror, freudian slip ) which opened the floodgates in the 7-run inning against Rochester. I made an April Fools' joke about Butera becoming an outfielder in this organization, but it seems that in the 2 highest levels (AAA, MLB) they like to use Catchers (instead of Angels, bad movie reference) in the outfield (Butera, Towles, Doumit.) Might be a trend, but I hope it ends pretty quickly, since there are more suitable players to play the OF (Heck, they DH Bates last night. I bet he could do better than Drew or Towles out there when Dinkelman needs a rest)

On another note, it was great to see Marquis' performance last night. I know AA is not MLB, but finding the strike zone (a problem Marquis had throughout the Spring) is pretty much the same whether you are facing little league or major league opponents.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I can't believe Butera is playing the OF. Mind boggling. Is Sano being pitched around, or is he learning patience?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Another thing that needs to be mentioned for the Rochester game: It was a Butera error (almost typed Buterror, freudian slip ) which opened the floodgates in the 7-run inning against Rochester. I made an April Fools' joke about Butera becoming an outfielder in this organization, but it seems that in the 2 highest levels (AAA, MLB) they like to use Catchers (instead of Angels, bad movie reference) in the outfield (Butera, Towles, Doumit.) Might be a trend, but I hope it ends pretty quickly, since there are more suitable players to play the OF (Heck, they DH Bates last night. I bet he could do better than Drew or Towles out there when Dinkelman needs a rest)

On another note, it was great to see Marquis' performance last night. I know AA is not MLB, but finding the strike zone (a problem Marquis had throughout the Spring) is pretty much the same whether you are facing little league or major league opponents.

It's a tough spot. They've decided they need 3 catchers, and then 2 of the OFs get dinged, but apparently not serious enough to go DL.

All 3 have had their moments catching. Definitely not their best spots being in the outfield. I agree, Bates as DH probably should be in the OF instead.

Herrmann has spoiled them in the org. Rohlfing too, both playing in the OF. Heck even Rams played LF the other night.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MWW - I saw only 4 or 5 Sano at-bats in Spring Training, but it was very apparent he was being pitched around. In those at-bats, he walked twice, and I don't think he saw a single decent pitch to hit. If he's discovering that's what they're doing to him, and he's taking those walks, that is him learning patience.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could probably find it, but likely someone here could answer quickly off the top of their head. I know I've known at some point, but somehow I've forgotten...from which side is it that Hicks has struggled to hit?

Blog Entries
    Rochester OF... it's a temporary thing. Tosoni lacerated a finger on a play at the plate. Likely out a week. Dinkelman has been out for 2 days with a right-hand injury... considered day-to-day. So, they're in a bind. I would have thought Bates could have played OF too though.

Also, Wilkin Ramirez is already on the DL.
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 04-13-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added Ramirez sentence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I could probably find it, but likely someone here could answer quickly off the top of their head. I know I've known at some point, but somehow I've forgotten...from which side is it that Hicks has struggled to hit?
    He has struggled as a left-handed hitter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Seth, I'm going to be a nitpicker for a moment a point out that we are in daylight savings right now so for example the Snappers play at 6:30 (CDT) today.
    Again, glad to see Hicks is hitting from the left side of the plate. I've been in the group that wanted him to give up on being a switch hitter but I would not mind one bit being proved wrong there.
    It seems like Sano is being given the Bonds treatment some days.
    Last edited by righty8383; 04-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Just wanted to say thanks for these great minor league updates... They're one of my favorite things at Twins Daily... It might be nice though, if at the end of each summary, you had the link to the box score... Just a thought...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Seth, Where is Kyle Gibson in his rehab? Is he throwing off a mound yet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    Seth, Where is Kyle Gibson in his rehab? Is he throwing off a mound yet?
    He was scheduled to throw off a mound for the first time June 7th or something like that.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He was scheduled to throw off a mound for the first time June 7th or something like that.
    He is actually ahead of schedule. I saw him a couple of weeks ago participate in a pitcher's fielding drill in Fort Myers with a whole bunch of AAA-A pitchers. They were actually throwing the ball to the catcher and he was just soft tossing it, but overhead. Which is a great sign. Here is he on March 29th. You can say that he is throwing of a mound, but he is just soft tossing:

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98