Thread: Tony Sipp Available

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Tony Sipp Available

D'Backs DFA'd Tony Sipp on Sunday. Wouldn't you really rather have him over Duensing? Better ERA, better WHIP, better K/IP (over 10 per 9 Inn). I just don't trust Duensing any more. I'd grab Sipp if we could get him, he knows the division from his years on Cleveland.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Ha AZ just makes terrible, terrible trades. The two additional pieces they got for trading top prospect Trevor Bauer are already released, at least they still have the poor hitting Gregorius.

I'd take Sipp, but I suspect with the Twins severe aversion to the BB, they will not.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's really no candidate to be replaced by Sipp (I can't see the Twins DFAing Duensing) and we don't need him. However, looking at his numbers, I'd give him a shot if we have an open spot on the roster for him.
    Houston should take him, they have the worst bullpen in baseball....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He will be 31 next year. He is eligible for arbitration. It is likely that any team that takes him would do so for this year and nontender him. He will be less expensive if the Twins want to sign him after he is nontendered.

I would prefer they look for someone younger in the winter. They have had success with Burton and Fien. Signing Sipp now and taking him to arbitration makes it almost certain he will on the opening day roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    31? Why? They sould be promoting Tonkin and other RP from the minors, to give the fans som hope. They don't need 31 year old relievers right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    31? Why? They sould be promoting Tonkin and other RP from the minors, to give the fans som hope. They don't need 31 year old relievers right now.
    Exactly. With Tonkin in AAA and other good arms rising quickly through the high minors, why forage in other people's dumpsters? Sure, you can find a rusty tricycle and a perfectly good dot-matrix printer, but hey...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    dot matrix, good thing I was on mute on this call......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Doesn't really matter I guess, he passed through waivers and was sent to AAA.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    The Twins shouldn't try to sign anyone who doesn't present a potential upside moving forward.

Plenty of guys like Sipp will be available in the off-season to fill out the roster.