Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: No wonder why we got rid of Garza

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    996
    Like
    197
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts

    No wonder why we got rid of Garza


  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Yeah, it was kind of fun to follow the Tweets live last night. Garza's definitely not the nicest person, and the drinking concerns have been there since his days with the Twins. No question. He can still pitch pretty well though.

  3. #3
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,868
    Like
    185
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Yet another spat over players not liking someone else beating them well within the written rules because it violated some nonsense. The whole unwritten rules thing is easily my most hated part of baseball.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    439
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    This seems more about Garza being a jack--s. Most jobs have their own unwritten rules. Learning to deal with them is part of doing the job and being professional. There are a lot of pitchers who don't like being bunted on. Sabathia comes to mind. Getting mad about it is one thing, taking it off the field is another.

    Garza has great stuff and can be a very good pitcher. This is already his 4th organization, which kind of indicates that being a good teammate has some value to organizations.
    Last edited by Jim H; 08-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,312
    Like
    83
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    I bet Garza would try for a triple instead of stopping at second. Not the twins way.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    If he were on my staff I would bench him. Or I'd send out engraved invitations to the next team he faces to bunt 1-9, and when he started complaining I would sprint out to the mound and start screaming in his dumbazz, immature face in front of 30,000 fans until he felt about 2 inches tall. Then I'd bench him.

    I for one am glad he does not play for my team. He's a very good pitcher, but come on.

  7. #7
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,868
    Like
    185
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    This seems more about Garza being a jack--s. Most jobs have their own unwritten rules. Learning to deal with them is part of doing the job and being professional. There are a lot of pitchers who don't like being bunted on. Sabathia comes to mind. Getting mad about it is one thing, taking it off the field is another.

    Garza has great stuff and can be a very good pitcher. This is already his 4th organization, which kind of indicates that being a good teammate has some value to organizations.
    It indicates more the teams he has played for.

    If there is an unwritten rule against bunting in a one run game - my dog can fly. The problem with unwritten rules is that they are basically vague BS that jerks who can't handle being bested use to justify their tantrums/stupidity.

  8. #8
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    No, this one isn't about unwritten rules at all. It's just about Garza not liking players bunting on him. It's about Garza knowing other teams knowing that he doesn't field bunts and throw well to 1B. That's the report. It was a close game. No unwritten rules broken.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    601
    Like
    77
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No, this one isn't about unwritten rules at all. It's just about Garza not liking players bunting on him. It's about Garza knowing other teams knowing that he doesn't field bunts and throw well to 1B. That's the report. It was a close game. No unwritten rules broken.
    Yep - that's a classic insurance run; well done Oakland.

    Matt was spitting mad - he' s always spitting something. One of the biggest spitters in the game.

  10. #10
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,868
    Like
    185
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No, this one isn't about unwritten rules at all. It's just about Garza not liking players bunting on him. It's about Garza knowing other teams knowing that he doesn't field bunts and throw well to 1B. That's the report. It was a close game. No unwritten rules broken.
    one of the common unwritten rules is about bunting with a lead. We see BS like this all the time with guys getting thrown at for bunting as if its bad form. Yeah, a good deal of this is Garza being a pissant for not being able to field bunts.....but I'd argue tht is exactly how every single unwritten rule gets started.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,789
    Like
    669
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    A 3-2 game in the 7th? No way. Every team guns for an insurance run in that scenario. The fact that the As got it is part of the reason they're in 1st place, I imagine.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    607
    Like
    103
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    Man, he really is upset with that guy's wife.

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,409
    Like
    420
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    it should be noted that he did publicly apologize for his rant...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    432
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If he was throwing a no hitter or a perfect game while being up by 5 runs I could see him getting pissed, but not in this case. No way.
    I bent my wookie...

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    one of the common unwritten rules is about bunting with a lead. We see BS like this all the time with guys getting thrown at for bunting as if its bad form. Yeah, a good deal of this is Garza being a pissant for not being able to field bunts.....but I'd argue tht is exactly how every single unwritten rule gets started.
    I tend to agree, most unwritten rules in baseball are total BS. The only exceptions in my mind are ones dealing with sportsmanship ie) showing up a guy after a HR, stealing when up by like 10 runs, etc. Most of the bunting "rules" especially are ridiculous. Am I really not supposed to bunt a guy over/in for an insurance run in a close game? Am I really not supposed to bunt for a hit down by 1 run if the opposing pitcher has a no-no going? Totally ridiculous. Play the game like a professional and do whatever you want/need to within the rules. Period.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    If he was throwing a no hitter or a perfect game while being up by 5 runs I could see him getting pissed, but not in this case. No way.
    Even then I chafe at the "unwritten rule." Play to win the game, I couldn't care less about the individual accomplishment of the opposing pitcher. And 5 runs is no longer a safe cushion against any team. Maybe 10, but even then why not play hard to win with every out? It's not like bunting is some secret, ultra-effective weapon. It's a low percentage play that becomes a good, high-percentage play in certain situations.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    it should be noted that he did publicly apologize for his rant...
    Is anyone else sick of entitled, immature pro sports figures acting worse than my 2 year old and then apologizing while blaming their "competitiveness?" Personally I don't care how competitive you are, if you can't act like an adult you don't have my respect. Just once I'd like one of these prima donnas to be honest and say "I'm a talented athlete that makes millions of dollars and I can act any way I want. Deal with it." That would at least be an honest expression of their mindset.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    4,011
    Like
    104
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Garza is a jackass, you can tell by that douche goatee he has, also Pat Neshek burned him pretty good this morning.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Garza is a jackass, you can tell by that douche goatee he has, also Pat Neshek burned him pretty good this morning.
    I missed it, did Neshek call him out?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I missed it, did Neshek call him out?
    Nevermind, I just looked it up. I knew there was a reason I liked Neshek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.