Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Fantasy Baseball Question... Liriano

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fantasy Baseball Question... Liriano

For those who play Fantasy Baseball. I picked up Liriano in the 28th round so we are not talking high value but I thought it was a good potential late round pick.

Two games in is too early to throw in the towel but... Delgado from the Braves is sitting on Waivers.

Forget any Twins frustration or Twins pride and objectively cast a vote for me to consider. As far as the format of the league. If the Pitcher sucks... The Scoring will suck...

Delgado or Liriano going forward.

In my opinion, ditch Liriano. No one else is going to pick him up. If you want him back later, I'd about guarantee he'll still be there for the taking.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only reason to keep him is for trade bait for some other idiot later in the season. He more than likely will at some point in the season have a stellar month and throw like a no-hitter or something. That's when you need to dangle him if you don't drop him earlier.... Hey that sounds like some good advice for terry Ryan if I do say so myself. Maybe it's too late anyway

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    I picked him to win the Cy Young this year - not going good so far, but I'm staying with it.

I really have no idea what to expect. I'm pretty sure his ERA will be between 2.00 and 7.00, but it could very well be right at either end of the range and I have no idea which end is more likely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post

I really have no idea what to expect. I'm pretty sure his ERA will be between 2.00 and 7.00.
    For being such a broad ranged statement... It completely zeros in on Mr. Liriano.

Scale of 1 to 10... 10 being perfect. That sentence is 14.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What type of league?
    What type of scoring?
    How many teams?
    Keeper vs Non Keeper?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    What type of league?
    What type of scoring?
    How many teams?
    Keeper vs Non Keeper?
    H2H 24 cats 12 hitting 12 pitching
    12 teams 30 man roster mandatory 15 position players mandatory 9 sp 6 rp
    keeper total 6 used for the Brauns and not the Harpers.

Junior Member Rookie 81Exposruledbaseball's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I picked him up as a free-agent before his first start, told myself to be patient after that one, and promptly dumped him after yesterday. Same thing last year...duh. To quote Andy Behrens' in Yahoo's Roto Arcade: " Liriano was a train-wreck last year, and he's even train-wreckier right now".

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 81Exposruledbaseball View Post
    " Liriano was a train-wreck last year, and he's even train-wreckier right now".
    I still get the feeling that sometime the tracks are going to be cleared and he's going to be great again. There is nothing physically preventing it that I can see. If it's in another uniform it will be pretty painful.

Blog Entries
    I love that quote... "Train-wreckier Right now"...

I feel the exact same way gil4... I think I can drop him and pick him up again but the league is littered with Twins fans and they tend to lean toward Twins players. There is just something about him that I can't let go. No matter how lost he looks... I can't seem to shake that under 3 ERA potential that I have of him personally. Delgado could be a safer stud and he is by no means safe. That's why I'm coming to those inclined on this board.

Not sure this statement is true anymore. His velocity is down and that is troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I still get the feeling that sometime the tracks are going to be cleared and he's going to be great again. There is nothing physically preventing it that I can see. If it's in another uniform it will be pretty painful.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 753 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Liriano comes and goes with his control. The thing I've noticed thus far is that he's not falling behind nearly as much as he has in the past. I agree he's a bit of a headcase, and I'm not sure I'd start him right now, but you were wise in taking him in the 28th, and I do believe you'll eventually be rewarded for it. The offense showed they can bail out the pitchers, and that will (hopefully), give Liriano a bit more confidence on the mound knowing he doesn't have to no hit his opponents every time... the defense will still hurt him, but it should be better than last year as well. I don't think I'd drop him just yet. Good pitching is much harder to find on the WW than good hitting, so I'd probably just keep him on my bench for a bit and see if he can figure things out.