Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Relief Pitcher of the Month - July

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Relief Pitcher of the Month - July

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Nice group of arms, I'm hopeful the Twins start using their own guys out of the pen more as time goes on. There are some quality relief arms in the minors. I'd like to see them get more chances while the MLB team is bad like this.

I assume Gonsalves will spend most of next season as a starter?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    I assume Gonsalves will spend most of next season as a starter?
    I would agree with that. In fact, he may start now for Elizabethton the rest of the season.

I saw Ibarra's numbers and thought, "How can you possibly top that?", and then saw Jones' numbers. Pretty impressive month by the top relievers.
    Last edited by Miles; 08-04-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typos drive me crazy...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there any chance that Ibarra or Jones get a shot at starting again? I'm not saying I want them to or think they should but it would be interesting.

I personally believe Ibarra is better off as a reliever and should join the Twins pen if we lose some guys in August or as a September call-up.

With Jones I think it would be worth moving him back to the rotation in Ft. Myers to start next season.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Is there any chance that Ibarra or Jones get a shot at starting again? I'm not saying I want them to or think they should but it would be interesting.

I personally believe Ibarra is better off as a reliever and should join the Twins pen if we lose some guys in August or as a September call-up.

With Jones I think it would be worth moving him back to the rotation in Ft. Myers to start next season.

Agreed. I think Ibarra is a bullpen guy at this point.

Jones probably is a reliever long-term, but now that he's in shape and throwing more strikes, I would have no problem with them trying him as a starter again. I don't think it's likely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    How old is Ibarra?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    How old is Ibarra?
    He's 24.

I don't think Ibarra is anything special. This is his first good minor league season since his age 20 season in Elizabethton. I'm not convinced that he suddenly became a really solid reliever, but then again I don't know much about him. 50 Innings really just doesn't do it for me. He allows too many baserunners and has questionable control. On the other hand, I think just about anyone is better than Duensing at this point. Although, I think Thielbar has won his role.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you kidding me?
    Top Hitter = Milwaukee born Adam Brett Walker
    Top Reliever = Milwaukee born Tyler Jones
    The Twins better start drafting more kids out of the Brew City

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    He's 24.

I don't think Ibarra is anything special. This is his first good minor league season since his age 20 season in Elizabethton. I'm not convinced that he suddenly became a really solid reliever, but then again I don't know much about him. 50 Innings really just doesn't do it for me. He allows too many baserunners and has questionable control. On the other hand, I think just about anyone is better than Duensing at this point. Although, I think Thielbar has won his role.
    Seems like he's having a decent year this year in the high minors. The Twins look like they have a pretty nice core of relief prospects coming up through the pipeline to complement the guys they have now. All the more reason to consider trading off a guy like Perkins this offseason if they can get the right price for him.