Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/3): Rochester Wins in Dramatic Fashion

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/3): Rochester Wins in Dramatic Fashion

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Sounds like an amazing AAA game. Thanks for the reporting, Seth.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talk about a thriller in Rochester! New Britain has put together a nice little winning streak after a terrible July.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Ft. Myers and Cedar Rapids clinched playoff spots in the first half of their seasons, and are both playing well in the 2nd half as well, even with promotions and such. Rochester went from 11 games back on July 2nd to taking their division lead by the end of the month. As of today, they would be a playoff team.

As mentioned, New Britain is playing a little better now. Elizabethton is the team that has been almost a given to make the playoffs most years. However, this year, they're struggling. The Big Three have been mostly good, but not as consistent, and I think because of the focus on pitching in the last couple of drafts, they don't have the offense they typically have.

Was that the first stint for Wimmers in his rehab?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who would you say right now is in line for a September call up?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have an observation and question Seth.

Taylor Rogers continues the string of very good lefties out of UK (Albers, Darnell and Rogers), with a right handed Alex Meyer mixed in. Looking at UK's roster, I see several freshmen lefties who will be draft eligible in 2015. Perhaps the most intriguing is 6'9, 280 pound Chase Mullins. Then there is Kenosha, Wisconsin native Sam Mahar, who will be draft eligible next year. He had a fine freshman season in 2012 before missing all of 2013 with an arm injury. He was Wisconsin's gatorade player of the year a couple years ago...will he be the next lefty the Twins grab out of UK?

I see that Wimmers has now made a few rehab starts. The first couple were ok, before yesterday's rough outing. Do you see the Twins adding him to their 40-man roster in November? If they don't, do you see someone drafting him and stashing him on their roster as a 13th pitcher for a year?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The Kentucky lefty thing is pretty crazy. If nothing else, we know that the Twins will (and have) scouted the University of Kentucky. I'm sure they've been aware of the two you mentioned for 3-5 years.

As for Wimmers, I'm just not certain. My initial thought was that they would have to add him, but that is somewhat contingent upon him having come back and shown health by season's end. To this point, it's been mixed results.