Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would Joe Benson look in CF this year?

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    It is now.
    Well played

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What happened to Rene Tosoni?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    What happened to Rene Tosoni?
    Broke a finger. Out for a bit and with Carson and Benson the only outfielders, Hollimon, Towles and today Butera (and Dinkelman of course) have all been playing OF.
    Tosoni will be back next week it sounds like. Wilken Ramirez on the DL does not help either
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    If we are in what I believe is rebuilding mode...
    I'm not ready to concede that. Baseball is a funny game. We could have a pretty strong lineup. Losing Baker hurts, but you never really know with pitching. Let's wait until late June to talk rebuilding (hopefully late June in 2020 or so.)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To reply to the original question of the title:

Joe Benson had 4 strike outs in 5 PAs tonight. His batting average is down to .133. For comparison purposes, Butera's is at .213 (Small sample size, but I'm sayin'...) I don't think that Joe would look at the CF this year for a while.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    If the Twins fall out of the race, Span is a prime trade chip, but it will be too hard of a pill to swallow if they are still hanging around, simply because the team really has no other options for a leadoff hitter.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Too soon to say in my opinion on whether we should be rebuilding... that decision gets made in June... As for an answer to your question, I'd guess pretty decent defensively and a bit lost at the plate. He needs some AAA time, and I'm all for giving it to him.
    WELL SAID buddy well said, took the words out of my mouth.

Trading Denard Span ? Please, he's a top 10 leadoff hitter in the game... and plays at least an average defensive CF... Joe Benson while a slight upgrade defensively is:
    A) Right handed Hitter, with many more K's and less productive AB's as Span this year in 2012
    B) Not a leadoff hitter like Span
    C) Not the run-scorer/ base stealer at the top the lineup as SPan is when healthy.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Is this the idoit board or what?
    I understand the sentiment, though I might be a bit nicer about it. Two things have been bugging me about Span: he's looked a bit lackadaisical in the OF thus far, and I'm not sure what's up with his concussion. HOWEVER, finding a .370 obp decent CF who can hit both lhp and rhp is pretty rare. He's on a pretty good contract, and I really don't think the Twins are going to be able to replace his leadoff, CF, and obp skills.

The Twins almost dealt him for a reliever a couple years ago, but they couldn't even get the guy with Span. I wouldn't count on the Twins to score a major victory by dealing him. Outside of one trade where he was dealing from a position of strength with one of the easier GM marks, Ryan has never shown himself to be adept at making major league trades.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post

The Twins almost dealt him for a reliever a couple years ago, but they couldn't even get the guy with Span. I wouldn't count on the Twins to score a major victory by dealing him. Outside of one trade where he was dealing from a position of strength with one of the easier GM marks, Ryan has never shown himself to be adept at making major league trades.
    ??? Tough grading curve... Eye of the beholder... I think Terry Ryan can hold his head high in consideration of his portfolio of deals.

He has lost some trades. In hindsight who hasn't. Every GM has, even the greatest Baseball GM in the world(insert name here).

I myself once traded my car for an actual polar bear. I did research and a polar bear was 100,000 dollars in value at the time. My car had 30,000 miles. This was a no brainer. Then the truck shows up and drops the bear off at my house. The neighbors started complaining immediately. I had to build an enclosure because it turns out it was pretty strong and the rope and stake that worked for my dog wasn't getting it done. You would be surprised at the cost of seal meat and how much they eat and how much there was to clean up after, and worst of all, The bear didn't like to be hugged at all and those claws are real. I tried to give it a hug and it sliced me pretty good and I had to walk to the emergency room bleeding terribly because I had traded my car.

That was a bad deal. We've all made em.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    . Outside of one trade where he was dealing from a position of strength with one of the easier GM marks, Ryan has never shown himself to be adept at making major league trades.
    That trade was one of the best ever, but it isn't as though he's made any really bad ones like Smith... The Twins usually came out as the better team in most of his trades, so much so that people were reluctant to deal with him... That said, if Benson emerges, this is precisely what Ryan is doing, as he will be dealing from a position of strength. As Arcia, Morales, and Hicks emerge (assuming they do), he may be able to do the same thing with Willingham and whatever guy settles in the RF job... not bad either.

I agree that Benson isn't there yet. He needs to cut down on the Ks, and I woudln't be surprised if the only MLB time he sees is in September. He has options, so this isn't a big deal. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's in AAA next year, as his batting eye needs some work. I think his upside is Cuddy, who has similar strengths/weaknesses at the plate, but with better defense. People forget that Cuddy took time to develop into what he is, and that's even more true with an impatient Gardy managing things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12