Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Doumit a starter?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why is Doumit a starter?

He hasn't hit well so far, he's not our best defender at RF, C or 1b, and Gardy is resistant to pulling him out of the game late in case Mauer has to leave the game. So why doesn't he just stay on the bench on the days Mauer starts?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Yes, he hasn't hit well so far (neither has Mauer, Valencia and several others), but he has history of being a good hitter with some pop. He has a career .271BA, is a switch hitter and can get around 15HRs.

I did not get to see any of the games against Baltimore, but twice against the Angels Doumit has hit screamers up the middle that only a diving grab by Aybar and a quick glove by Weaver prevented them from being hits.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Yeah, those still qualify as outs. It's still a bit early to lay too much judgement but Plouffe should be getting more of a chance.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    He hasn't hit well so far, he's not our best defender at RF, C or 1b, and Gardy is resistant to pulling him out of the game late in case Mauer has to leave the game. So why doesn't he just stay on the bench on the days Mauer starts?
    Doumit is starting because Gardy understands that you shouldn't react so severely over such small 15 at bat sample sizes...

Doumit has a .791 OPS over the last 5 years, please point me to the guy on the bench who will come close to even matching that? His defense is iffy, but it is what it is, he should continue to improve in RF as he learns the field.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is Doumit a starter?
    Because he a pretty extensive track recrord that says he can hit. I'd like to see Plouffe get a little more time too, but I think he will get time in RF when Doumit catches.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely Seth. Doumit's main problem has been injuries. His second biggest problem is that he is not great defensively. He will hit.

I also want to see more out of Plouffe. Given how fragile so many of the Twins have been, I'm sure he'll get his chances.

When Doumit was signed, it was mostly well-received by the fans for one reason: Drew Butera. People fixated on the fact that he was a backup catcher and hated that Butera got so many at bats last year.

That's all well and good, but in practice, we're finding out that he may actually get into the lineup MORE often as a RF or DH while Mauer is healthy, and he's not our best option at either of those positions. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep over it at this point because I agree with the posters above that he will hit, to a degree. But I really hope somebody else takes a hold of that RF job and hits, because Doumit in RF is not any kind of long-term solution.

I'll do it one further and say the team should go down one infielder, and bring up Towles, making Doumit the regular right fielder, and "third" catcher. He's got a quick bat, with obvious power. I'm not sure what Burroughs really brings to this team. You'd never actually pinch hit him for anyone but Carroll or Casilla, and then you'd have to use Plouffe or Hughes in the field, anyhow. He just feels extraneous. Really, who feels extraneous is Alex Burnett. The heck with that extra pitcher. Get off my lawn.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsaari View Post
    I'll do it one further and say the team should go down one infielder, and bring up Towles, making Doumit the regular right fielder, and "third" catcher. He's got a quick bat, with obvious power. I'm not sure what Burroughs really brings to this team. You'd never actually pinch hit him for anyone but Carroll or Casilla, and then you'd have to use Plouffe or Hughes in the field, anyhow. He just feels extraneous. Really, who feels extraneous is Alex Burnett. The heck with that extra pitcher. Get off my lawn.
    There is absolutely no reason to have a third catcher on the roster. Doumit plays catcher well enough to handle the back up catcher duty just fine. Putting Towles in the lineup at any point creates a black hole instantly. Burroughs is nothing special "yet" but provides more value then a third catcher.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    When Doumit was signed, it was mostly well-received by the fans for one reason: Drew Butera. People fixated on the fact that he was a backup catcher and hated that Butera got so many at bats last year.

That's all well and good, but in practice, we're finding out that he may actually get into the lineup MORE often as a RF or DH while Mauer is healthy, and he's not our best option at either of those positions. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep over it at this point because I agree with the posters above that he will hit, to a degree. But I really hope somebody else takes a hold of that RF job and hits, because Doumit in RF is not any kind of long-term solution.
    Who is our better option at RF/DH then Doumit? (Morneau obviously) but I fail to see how one of Hughes/Plouffe or Revere is so much better?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    When the Twins got Domit, he was supposed to be an every day player as catcher and DH.
    having Morneau at DH changed where he could play.
    They did get him for his bad though as offense was a big problem last year.
    Probably doesn't look good when management spends a couple million to address a problem, and he ends up
    as a bench player.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries

He's not a long-term solution. The Twins' long-term solutions for the outfield are probably in New Britain and Rochester. I really want to see an outfield of three of these four--Span, Revere, Benson, Hicks. Great range and two great arms. I just hope they can hit enough, because it would/will be fun to watch those guys run down fly balls and throw out runners.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsaari View Post
    I'm not sure what Burroughs really brings to this team. You'd never actually pinch hit him for anyone but Carroll or Casilla, and then you'd have to use Plouffe or Hughes in the field, anyhow. He just feels extraneous.
    I can see spots where he could (not sure that means would) hit for Valencia. Or Hughes if he were in the game. Basically places where you go lefty over righty.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've said it a few other places, but Doumit was the one most greatly affected by Morneau shifting to DH. I liked the signing a lot because he could DH and give very similar output to Kubel AND give some flexibility by being able to backup Mauer while also being able to fill a spot in various other spots....sometimes. Taking DH away from him for the most part changed his circumstances an awful lot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Joe C is saying Doumit is sitting, Revere is in RF and Mauer is catching again today.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I like the signing of Doumit. I'm happy he is on the squad. We need some bats and Doumit has one. It's not Braun-esque but it's an improvement over Butera.

However, I've said this before and some disagree with me and some don't but those debates make this board fun. While Doumit is a decent hitter and has proved to be such over his career. His offense historically has not been enough to overcome his defense. I was much more comfortable with Doumit at DH. I expect him to be an offensive improvement over quite a few of our options. I'm comfortable with him getting the occasional start in RF for rest and matchup purposes but I am not comfortable with him getting the lion's share of starts in RF.

As the days roll by... We will learn more and more about what we have in Parmelee, Plouffe, Revere, Hughes, Burroughs and other unproven players like MAUER...

"Dry Sense of Humor Disclaimer" The Mauer part was a joke... to some anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Joe C is saying Doumit is sitting, Revere is in RF and Mauer is catching again today.
    Okay, when I said there were better options in RF, Ben Revere was not one of them! Maybe I should take back what I said...

Also, when I said that Doumit wasn't a "long-term" option, I didn't mean Opening Day 2015...I meant more like he won't even be healthy later this year, and his duties as relief catcher to Mauer mean that he'll never be a part of a regular rotation.

Plouffe and Parmalee are two guys that could end up being better than Doumit in RF. Parmalee is busy with 1B, however, so that's not a current option. Joe Benson is another option, and probably superior to all of them defensively. Revere is NOT an option, for reasons we discussed in other threads.

I think people are over-emphasizing Doumit's value as hitter. Yes, he's a experienced guy and he's good enough to get buy for a few weeks at a time, if need be. But other than last year's small sample size, he was a .250 hitter for the two years prior. He's never had 20 HR power, and you have to keep in mind that he'll mostly be getting at-bats as a left hander, so you can factor in Target Field and what that does to hitters who don't have "lighttower power". If this guy's in the .700 to .750 OPS range, his offense does not offset the terrible defense, sorry. That's acceptable for a backup catcher, but not a regular or even a platoon player in RF.
    Last edited by StormJH1; 04-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Okay, when I said there were better options in RF, Ben Revere was not one of them! Maybe I should take back what I said...

Also, when I said that Doumit wasn't a "long-term" option, I didn't mean Opening Day 2015...I meant more like he won't even be healthy later this year, and his duties as relief catcher to Mauer mean that he'll never be a part of a regular rotation.

Plouffe and Parmalee are two guys that could end up being better than Doumit in RF. Parmalee is busy with 1B, however, so that's not a current option. Joe Benson is another option, and probably superior to all of them defensively. Revere is NOT an option, for reasons we discussed in other threads.
    Man, you are tough on Revere! Did you have some sort of childhood trauma with midgets or something? If so... A real fast midget like Revere would be extremely scary and you will have my empathy.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 97 Posts
    I guess I'm not as fearful of losing my 2nd catcher in the 9th inning as Gardy is. Hypothetically, if Gardy took Doumit out of RF for defensive purposes in the 9th inning of a close game, the game went into extra innings, and Mauer got hurt, the Twins would most likely lose regardless of who was catching after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast