Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who do you want to see replace Baker?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Ben Revere? It won't matter who pitches now that the Dragon is awake.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=nokomismod;9185]I was just thinking about SlowRide too. I do wish the Twins weren't so stubborn about certain personalities. Slowey wasn't a great pitcher, but he was affordable and better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Great reason...c'mon guys really you can't really be missing Kevin Slowey...JEEZ!

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Livan is already pitching somewhere. Arizona maybe? I agree with John, I just can't find the nerve to trust Swarzak, so I say give Hendriks the chance. They have rushed ever other starter the last 2-3 years so why not continue the trend. And he actually looked good in the Spring (though Mr. Gleeman might tell me to take my Spring opinion and shove it). Although I think Spring does matter when you are trying to make a team. Maybe not for sure starters that are getting work in, but guys on the fence, absolutely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Look at the links I provided for attendance numbers, I don't find this statement to be true. Very minimal, at best, compared to the amount that was there yesterday.

And sorry, I wasn't cold there yesterday, so to each his own (and I was NOT wearing long-johns).
    Already looked at them. In 2010, the attendance increased noticeably and the average attendance by month is increasing from April to August, with a tiny fall off in September. It's not as pronounced in 2011, but the average attendance by month is once again monotonically increasing until the September fall off. Last night's attendance was so far below the previous low that it's really quite striking, so we agree there. But the fact of increasing attendance as we get toward summer has been the "rule" (two prior seasons is obviously not a huge set of data).

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't find the increase you're citing as being "increased noticeably" to be significant, the numbers just aren't big enough in difference, and all of them were considered "sellouts", or just short of. I think much of the increase can be attributed to them starting to sell SRO tickets. But the main point I'm making is the one you agree with. If the attendance increases by maybe the 2,000 max you're referencing as it gets warm, that's still just 33000+ people in the seats, which is not good. That would mean they likely average something like 32,000/game if this season follows the same curve as 2011, which equals an overall attendance of 2,592,000. A difference of almost 800-thousand fans through the gate. Average ticket price at Target Field is $33 dollars. So, that's basically $25 MIL in revenue right off the bat the Twins wouldn't get this year compared to 2010 and 11.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins are going to have to make some decisions pretty soon. Marquis will move somebody out of the bullpen and the two guys who probably slid in because of Marquis' and Baker's unavailability (Burnett and Gray) have done nothing to get themselves demoted. Gray has two fluke victories and Burnett has thrown three good innings.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Dilligaf69;9443]
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    I was just thinking about SlowRide too. I do wish the Twins weren't so stubborn about certain personalities. Slowey wasn't a great pitcher, but he was affordable and better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Great reason...c'mon guys really you can't really be missing Kevin Slowey...JEEZ!
    I'm not sure people miss him as much as they recognize that we gave him away, and that he was a cheaper option than what we have now with more upside... Maybe Marquis will do well, but his track record suggests that he will probably be slightly worse than league average.

I agree that Slowey was no sure thing, and his injury history is a bit scary too, but prior to that wrist injury, he was breaking out and looked like he could be another bakeresque type pitcher, which would have been nice to have. He hasn't been the same since that injury, and it's possible he may never be, but the odds of him being as good or better than Marquis are pretty good, and the odds of him being significantly worse are not nearly as good... and he cost less.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    [QUOTE=diehardtwinsfan;9583]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post

I'm not sure people miss him as much as they recognize that we gave him away, and that he was a cheaper option than what we have now with more upside... Maybe Marquis will do well, but his track record suggests that he will probably be slightly worse than league average.

I agree that Slowey was no sure thing, and his injury history is a bit scary too, but prior to that wrist injury, he was breaking out and looked like he could be another bakeresque type pitcher, which would have been nice to have. He hasn't been the same since that injury, and it's possible he may never be, but the odds of him being as good or better than Marquis are pretty good, and the odds of him being significantly worse are not nearly as good... and he cost less.
    Marquis has been a better pitcher than Slowey. And the Twins are only paying him 250K more than Slowey's making this year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234