Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to see replace Baker?

While I think Hendricks has more upside, I think the Twins would be best served to get him some AAA starts the first part of this season. For that reason only, I would roll with Swarzak through May (unless he performs terribly).

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grubah View Post
    While I think Hendricks has more upside, I think the Twins would be best served to get him some AAA starts the first part of this season. For that reason only, I would roll with Swarzak through May (unless he performs terribly).
    The problem with rolling with Swarzak over Hendriks at this point is that you take away potentially one of the better arms in an already shaky at best bullpen.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    To replace Baker... The best choice is Matt Moore.
    Not Verlander?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this idea will get shot down by most on this board but my thought would be to give Perkins another shot at being a starter. He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years and has learned how to pitch, not just throw. He is turning into a great reliever who can throw in the mid 90's, I wonder what type of velocity he could maintain over 7+ innings every 5 days? My biggest concern isn't that he can't do it, my biggest concern is that our best bullpen pitcher would be out of the bullpen. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Who do I want to replace Scott Baker: Kevin Slowey
    Who will replace Scott Baker: Liam Hendriks and/or Anthony Swarzak
    I was just thinking about SlowRide too. I do wish the Twins weren't so stubborn about certain personalities. Slowey wasn't a great pitcher, but he was affordable and better than nothing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd also think about giving Duensing another shot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the replacement should come from outside the organization. Put a little urgency into the plan that needs to be endorsed as suggested by LaVelle E. Neal III, here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/146905625.html

This likely means trading away a good prospect or two or three, which I won't necessarily like depending on whom it would be, but it's something that just might have to be done. While I'd like to see Roy Oswalt signed (go ahead, bash me for that), it sounds like it's not very likely. But he's about the only "free agent" at this point whom would be worth anything.

I think they have to do something though. There were a lot of empty seats at the game yesterday already (in fact, on the radio this morning it was said it was the lowest attendance ever at Target Field, even worse than September last year), and it was only the 2nd home game of the year. That doesn't bode very well for the Pohlad's bottom line...
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I think the replacement should come from outside the organization. Put a little urgency into the plan that needs to be endorsed as suggested by LaVelle E. Neal III, here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/146905625.html

This likely means trading away a good prospect or two or three, which I won't necessarily like depending on whom it would be, but it's something that just might have to be done. While I'd like to see Roy Oswalt signed (go ahead, bash me for that), it sounds like it's not very likely. But he's about the only "free agent" at this point whom would be worth anything.

I think they have to do something though. There were a lot of empty seats at the game yesterday already (in fact, on the radio this morning it was said it was the lowest attendance ever at Target Field, even worse than September last year), and it was only the 2nd home game of the year. That doesn't bode very well for the Pohlad's bottom line...
    the question is whether baker's contract was insurred... if it was, you probably have pretty close to what you need to sign Oswalt... that's probably my choice personally, though I doubt the Pohlads do it, nor should they if this team cannot compete...

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    the question is whether baker's contract was insurred... if it was, you probably have pretty close to what you need to sign Oswalt... that's probably my choice personally, though I doubt the Pohlads do it, nor should they if this team cannot compete...

What in the world makes people think Roy Oswalt would have any interest in signing with the Twins?? My god people, he turned down offers from the Red Sox, Cardinals, etc. He is content waiting till June before signing with a CONTENDER

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was c-o-l-d! I'm rarely affected by cooler temps, but last night was pretty darn chilly. In general, their low attendances have come early in the year, rather than late. I think there was even a non-sellout in the opening series of Year 1.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    It was c-o-l-d! I'm rarely affected by cooler temps, but last night was pretty darn chilly. In general, their low attendances have come early in the year, rather than late. I think there was even a non-sellout in the opening series of Year 1.
    It wasn't that cold, CDog. We're Minnesotans for christ sake, break out the long-johns. The teams play last year and the attendance at the end of it, are already carrying over. If not going to the game because it's cold is affecting the 2nd home game of the year, attendance is going to be bad all year (relative to most of the first 2 seasons). Yes, there was the non sellout in year one, but there were still over 37,000 fans at the game that wasn't a sellout. There we're 31,000 there yesterday. Believe it or not, that's a significant difference. Several upper-deck sections were empty, and a few on the 2nd level. Empty rows of seats absolutely everywhere.
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 04-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    What in the world makes people think Roy Oswalt would have any interest in signing with the Twins?? My god people, he turned down offers from the Red Sox, Cardinals, etc. He is content waiting till June before signing with a CONTENDER
    Oswalt has said he'd need about 60 days to get ready to pitch in the majors after signing. 60 days from now, is June. So he has to sign soon with someone. Also, he's not going to get Edwin Jackson money, he'll get Andy Pettitte money so it's not like they'd be wasting a big pile of it.

Ya, he might not be interested, but it seems other teams whom would be those "contenders", have become uninterested as well. I can hope, right?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Officially the paid attendance was over 31,000. So I highly doubt it was the lowest ever.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Officially the paid attendance was over 31,000. So I highly doubt it was the lowest ever.
    Highly doubting it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Lowest attendance # last year was 34,228, here are the numbers:

2010: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml
    2011: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml
    2012: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
    I know this idea will get shot down by most on this board but my thought would be to give Perkins another shot at being a starter. He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years and has learned how to pitch, not just throw. He is turning into a great reliever who can throw in the mid 90's, I wonder what type of velocity he could maintain over 7+ innings every 5 days? My biggest concern isn't that he can't do it, my biggest concern is that our best bullpen pitcher would be out of the bullpen. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?
    I agree that Perkins has probably earned another shot at starting; however, moving him would further weaken the bullpen. And given what we've seen of our starters so far, that just seems like a scary prospect to me.
    Much as I'd like to see them bring some help in from the outside, as long as the Twins are committed to 'rebuilding' mode, I can't imagine them making a meaningful investment in either the starting rotation or the 'pen. I'm afraid this season, what we've seen so far is what we get.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It wasn't that cold, CDog. We're Minnesotans for christ sake, break out the long-johns. The teams play last year and the attendance at the end of it, are already carrying over. If not going to the game because it's cold is affecting the 2nd home game of the year, attendance is going to be bad all year (relative to most of the first 2 seasons). Yes, there was the non sellout in year one, but there were still over 37,000 fans at the game that wasn't a sellout. There we're 31,000 there yesterday. Believe it or not, that's a significant difference. Several upper-deck sections were empty, and a few on the 2nd level. Empty rows of seats absolutely everywhere.
    I was there. It was cold. I'm from Minnesota, lived here my whole life, rarely get cold outside. Gettin' all tough guy about it doesn't change it. I also looked around during some breaks in the action and actually laughed out loud at the overwhelming sea of cold body language around me. Obviously being the lowest attendance ever isn't good, but it's been the pattern in the short history that early in the year isn't as well attended as later on.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    Did you even read my last line? "nor should they if this team cannot compete." Kind of solves that issue doesn't it? The Twins shouldn't even bother if they aren't contending... and yes, I agree he wouldn't sign in that scenario either.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    but it's been the pattern in the short history that early in the year isn't as well attended as later on.
    Look at the links I provided for attendance numbers, I don't find this statement to be true. Very minimal, at best, compared to the amount that was there yesterday.

And sorry, I wasn't cold there yesterday, so to each his own (and I was NOT wearing long-johns).

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just want to say that this is my 100th post.

I have nothing important to add to this discussion and that is also true of the other 99 posts that I made.

Once... Again... This is my 100th post. Congrats are in order.

I'm sorry about the interuption... Please return safely to your interesting discussion on Minnesota April Temperatures.
    P.S. Does anyone know how many posts I have to make to reach the AA level?

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Marquis is a batting practice pitcher that should be released. Slowey is 100% better than Marquis but our clueless gm values nice guys because they get along with gardy. Bring up guys from our poor minor league system to get the innings since they will lose 110 games regardless.

He is?????? the same SloJam that was 0-8 or whatever last yr??? or the the Slowey who's wrist will likely never be the same thus never being close to the same pitcher he was before the surgery which was a 3rd or 4th starter at best anyway..that Kevin Slowey??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast