Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to see replace Baker?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    Um, isn't it Hendriks? Why keep saving these young guys?
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Who do I want to replace Scott Baker: Kevin Slowey
    Who will replace Scott Baker: Liam Hendriks and/or Anthony Swarzak
    I wish people would stop acting butthurt about Slowey. Why don't all the spurned Twins fans plan a trip to Buffalo or wherever the hell Cleveland's AAA team is so you all can have a big pity party and talk to Kevin about climbing Mt Kilamanjaro.

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To replace Baker... The best choice is Matt Moore.

Moore would probably be a tough get.

Hendricks is the answer. The kid just got his chance to make a MLB statement. I hope he runs with it.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it'll be Hendriks, who actually could hold his own, albeit not at a Baker level. The problem is that the next guy in line is now Swarzak or Maloney or Diamond. This could get ugly in a hurry when another starter inevitably needs to miss time.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    You forgot Livan Hernandez.
    Atlanta signed him!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    No need to consider Slowey any longer, but I do remember after Nathan went down in spring training 2010, the Twins were scrambling for closing options and a Slowey/CJ Wilson trade was rumored to be in discussion and the Rangers were actaully going to have to kick in another piece as Slowey's trade value was higher than the Rangers set up man. The Twins never trade players at their peak. Probably just as well though, it's doubtful the Twins would have had the foresight to transfer Wilson to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Swarzak doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he does have a great bulldog attitude. Key to his success will be developing precision, being able to pick corners, vary his speed, etc. In other words, he needs to become a clever bulldog with good aim.

Hendriks takes Baker's spot, but Swarzak may contend for it if Hendriks falters. Of the two, Hendriks appears to have more talent, but Swarzak has the bulldog attitude. Reminds me a little of Blackburn that way. Who in the minors could step up? No idea, but I'd love to see David Bromberg succeed this year.
    Is that you Gardy? If only we could quantify that "bulldog attitude" into results.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneelb4zerg View Post
    I wish people would stop acting butthurt about Slowey. Why don't all the spurned Twins fans plan a trip to Buffalo or wherever the hell Cleveland's AAA team is so you all can have a big pity party and talk to Kevin about climbing Mt Kilamanjaro.
    Exactly. Since 2008 (Slowey's best year) -

Slowey - 90 ERA+, 466 ip, 3.4 WAR
    Liriano - 90 ERA+, 542ip, 4.4 WAR
    Blackburn - 93 ERA+, 713ip, 4.8 WAR
    Duensing - 104 ERA+, 378ip, 4.6 WAR

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    French has pitched very well in New Britain. I remember him as being part of the Jarrod Washburn trade (going to the M's). He has some big league experience and is a lefty, I believe (also breathing). To me, French and Diamond are cut out of the same cloth. Maloney had a nice spring and struck out hitters, but he's 28 and hasn't established himself in the majors.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Exactly. Since 2008 (Slowey's best year) -

Slowey - 90 ERA+, 466 ip, 3.4 WAR
    Liriano - 90 ERA+, 542ip, 4.4 WAR
    Blackburn - 93 ERA+, 713ip, 4.8 WAR
    Duensing - 104 ERA+, 378ip, 4.6 WAR
    Though I agree that Slowey is mediocre, I don't understand why you feel the need to include IP and WAR in this argument.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    French has pitched very well in New Britain. I remember him as being part of the Jarrod Washburn trade (going to the M's). He has some big league experience and is a lefty, I believe (also breathing). To me, French and Diamond are cut out of the same cloth. Maloney had a nice spring and struck out hitters, but he's 28 and hasn't established himself in the majors.
    If this team counts on Luke French in the rotation making any more than 1 or 2 emergency starts this year we are most likely staring 100 loses in the face.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    If this team counts on Luke French in the rotation making any more than 1 or 2 emergency starts this year we are most likely staring 100 loses in the face.
    You're probably right, Dave. I guess that the in-house candidates are 1) Hendriks 2) Swarzak 3) Maloney 4) Diamond. I threw out French's name because he has ML experience and has pitched well.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who do you want to see replace Baker?

Terry Ryan. It's his job.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    You're probably right, Dave. I guess that the in-house candidates are 1) Hendriks 2) Swarzak 3) Maloney 4) Diamond. I threw out French's name because he has ML experience and has pitched well.
    Yeah, I mean he could be a capable starter for a start or two, but if that point comes it means that half of our rotation options are either hurt on ineffective, things would be pretty ugly at that point. At least he still has his youth, I just can't see him succeeding much in the majors though.

dumb question, but what does LOOGY stand for?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LOOGY = Left-handed One Out GuY.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westgaard66 View Post
    dumb question, but what does LOOGY stand for?
    Lefty One Out GuY

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks is the guy for sure. This does mean that everyone moves up the depth chart though. So, DeVries is someone to watch. As is Luke French. I would rather Swarzak see time as a middle relief pitcher for the bullpen. Diamond is better than his 2011 numbers suggest. And he is off to a good start this year. With Waldrop and Slama, the Twins may (should) be saying bye-bye to Maloney and Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    To replace Baker... The best choice is Matt Moore.

Moore would probably be a tough get.

Hendricks is the answer. The kid just got his chance to make a MLB statement. I hope he runs with it.
    Are you a troll or just stupid? Good god child.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast