Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo released updated prospect list

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Seriously, you are really that worried about Sano using up all of his options? I realize you can find scenarios where using an option in 2014 would be deleterious, but Sano could also get glaucoma tomorrow and go blind... or be hit by a bus (or a pitch in the head)!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Seriously, you are really that worried about Sano using up all of his options? I realize you can find scenarios where using an option in 2014 would be deleterious, but Sano could also get glaucoma tomorrow and go blind... or be hit by a bus (or a pitch in the head)!
    Worried? No, but he's not ready now. So need to burn one unnecessarily.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    2014 is only an option year if he gets put on the 40 man this year, and he returns to the minors next year. An option is not burned if he's put on it next year and never goes back to the minors.

But that said, he doesn't need to go on the 40 man this year, and he's only in AA. He will get put on the 40 man next year sometime, whether that be in September (for Sept call ups) or June because he forced the issue with his play in Rochester. That said, when he's added, he will stay with the club for the remainder of the season or they risk losing an option. Players only get 3 options, wasting one when you don't need to simply to give a guy a look isn't a smart business move.
    If he isn't going back down once he comes up then what does it matter if he burns an option year in 2014? There are no bonus points for players with options left at the end of their career. I think it is more likely that Sano gets called up at some point in 2014, plays poorly and is sent back to AAA for a time burning an option year anyway. The jump from AAA to the majors is a large one for both elite and not elite prospects. Arcia has been sent down, Hicks should have been sent down if there was anyone to man CF and Gibson looks like he will need to be depending on how his innings limit turns out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I agree with diehard, as much as I would love to get a look at Sano in Sept., that is just my own selfishness for wanting a reason to turn the Twins games on these days.
    Sept. callups are usually reserved for guys ALREADY on the 40 man. It's pretty rare to see a team add a prospect to the 40 man roster, for the SOLE purpose of giving him a Sept. call up, in fact I'm not sure I can recall the Twins ever doing so.
    Really, there is no logical reason to bring him up in September.
    Any "look" you get at him is not going to give you any kind of accurate depiction of his future. (See Parmelee, Chris) Playing in Sept. on an awful team is a bit like spring training. It doesn't tell you a whole lot. You are playing a bunch of meaningless games, against many other Sept. call ups, and rookies (some prospects, some AAAA scrubs) who are filling in for vets who've been traded.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123