Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo released updated prospect list

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts

MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo released updated prospect list

Just as the title says, today Jonathan Mayo released his updated prospect list. There are some odd choices on the list so give it a look. For those of you too lazy to skim it here are the Twins that made it:

1.Buxton
    3.Sano
    36.Meyer
    51.Gibson
    66. Stewart
    68 Rosario
    85. Berrios

Mayo also updated his top 20 list for each team and top 10 by position lists. Link:

2013 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: News
    Last edited by cmb0252; 07-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Hmmm. I don't disagree with his top 100 (with Twins players) but his top 20 on our team I don't agree with. Until Bard or Chargois play enough, they do not warrant that ranking. Also, I think Meijia should be on there along with Tyler Duffey, Baxendale, or Rogers. Is Felix Jorge considered to be better than Lewis Thorpe or Yorman Landa?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    The organizational rankings seem a little lazy, and it's hard to tell whether the scouting reports themselves have been updated much at all..

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The organizational rankings seem a little lazy, and it's hard to tell whether the scouting reports themselves have been updated much at all..
    The scouting reports have not been updated which is annoying. Gibson's still says he should make the major league at some point this year.....which he obviously has.

On his top ten by position lists we did have the #1 OF, #1 3B, and the #2 2b which is never a bad thing. Also, while none of our pitchers made the top 10 pitcher list having 4 pitchers in the top 100 is definitely a good thing.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    having 4 pitchers in the top 100 is definitely a good thing.
    Has that EVER happened?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At least he wrote a fresh piece on Kohl Stewart!

Also interesting that he has Sano ETA at 2015 along with Buxton and Rosario.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Has that EVER happened?
    I think back when they were called the Senators.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCTwin View Post
    Also interesting that he has Sano ETA at 2015 along with Buxton and Rosario.
    That has to be an error. If Sano keeps warming up and Rosario stays hot they might both be September call ups.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    It makes me laugh how so many of these sites still list Sano at 6'3" and 195. Wasn't that about 45 pounds ago?

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not bad from 1-10, but I agree with the comments about pretty lazy -- especially 11-20.

I would have liked to see Adam Walker, Albers, Darnell, Tonkin, Pinto, Vargas, Meija, Hicks, Summers, Williams, and a few others before some of the names on there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    It makes me laugh how so many of these sites still list Sano at 6'3" and 195. Wasn't that about 45 pounds ago?
    YES! Sano is definitely on the plus side of at least 220!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Not bad from 1-10, but I agree with the comments about pretty lazy -- especially 11-20.

I would have liked to see Adam Walker, Albers, Darnell, Tonkin, Pinto, Vargas, Meija, Hicks, Summers, Williams, and a few others before some of the names on there.
    When you really look at it, the guys they have listed there almost all have a "potential" to be better then your list. I could see Meija, Walker, and Baxendale having a case to break the list but at the expense of maybe Goodrum, Melotakis and Harrison. And to me I am not sure I think the Meija has better upside then Goodrum, or Walker over Harrison, or Baxendale over Melotakis. The prospect list is all about potential upside to be a star.

Here is my go at it

1. Byron Buxton
    2. Miguel Sano
    3. Alex Meyer
    4. Kohl Stewart
    5. Eddie Rosario
    6. Max Kepler
    7. Trevor May
    8. Travis Harrison
    9. Jorge Polanco
    10. J.O. Berrios
    11. Josmil Pinto
    12. Adam Brett Walker
    13. Michael Tonkin
    14. Aderlin Mejia
    15. Kennys Vargas
    16. Niko Goodrum
    17. Ryan Eades
    18. Amaurys Minier
    19. DJ Baxendale
    20. Zack Jones
    21. Angel Morales
    22. Mason Melotakis
    23. Dalton Hicks
    24. James Beresford
    25. Stephen Gonsalves

Next: Stuart Turner, D.J. Williams, Nate Roberts, Logan Darnell, Luke Bard, Alex Wimmers, Tyler Duffey

Why do people keep saying Sano might be a September call up? It makes no sense! Rosario is a slim possibility but it will not and should not happen for Sano! Get off it people!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    That has to be an error. If Sano keeps warming up and Rosario stays hot they might both be September call ups.
    I think September next year is a good bet. I think we see one of the two of them as early as June.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 071063 View Post
    Why do people keep saying Sano might be a September call up? It makes no sense! Rosario is a slim possibility but it will not and should not happen for Sano! Get off it people!
    I have to agree on this one. They will finish the season at AA. However, it would not surprise me at all if they both made the team out of ST next year. The Twins have proven they are willing to go that route several times in the recent past.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 071063 View Post
    After watching the likes of Hicks, Arcia, Parmelee, and Dozier all struggle mightily after getting little to no time in Rochester before becoming big league regulars, I really hope the Twins have learned that a few months in AAA is beneficial--and in some cases necessary-- for young players to have success in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    After watching the likes of Hicks, Arcia, Parmelee, and Dozier all struggle mightily after getting little to no time in Rochester before becoming big league regulars, I really hope the Twins have learned that a few months in AAA is beneficial--and in some cases necessary-- for young players to have success in the majors.
    Arcia struggled mightily? He was actually hitting very well before his late "slump".

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think September next year is a good bet. I think we see one of the two of them as early as June.
    I could see them giving them each a cup of coffee this sept, especially if more and more trades are made.

Neither one will be up full time until next June and that is a GOOD thing. I know people will prob be calling the Twins cheap etc, but with a guy like Sano you absolutely keep that extra year of team control at any cost, especially since the Twins "real" window probably starts in 2015, even though I think they can compete next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast