Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/25): Summers Lovin'

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,513
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/25): Summers Lovin'


  2. #2
    Ok, Matt Summers is throwing up some silly, silly numbers. How legit is Summers as a long-term player? What's his ceiling and floor? I have the same question about Meijia, Seth. Do you think he could be our long-term solution at SS? Or, is Danny Santana the more likely long-term solution?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    322
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Good morning Seth, Saw that Hendriks had a perfect game going about the 4th inning yesterday morning. Watched it from that point, until in the seventh Bonnie needed me to help her with an errand. Came back just in time to see the home run and the score 6-3. So blame it on Bonnie!

    The good news is that it looks like Hendriks is getting stronger on his way back from his stint on the DL. Lets hope that this is his year to turn it around and become what most of us believe he can be.

    Are you at the point that you only mention Mejia when he doesn't have two hits, more or less? Must be tiring to write his name what seems like every day.

    Question about Rosario. With Dozier developing into an excellent defensive second baseman and assuming his bat improves in 2014 and beyond (say .275+/-)...he will have earned a spot in the lineup. What do they do with Rosario? Does he go back to the outfield? Yes, I know that is a year from know and assumes several things happening, but am curious as to your thoughts?

  4. #4
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,742
    Like
    874
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Seth, it seems all us inquiring minds need to know. You have Mejia at #35 on your mid-season prospect list- which definitely makes him more of a suspect. The whole story about his professional career is curious, a 2-year GCL player, who the Twins opted to not sending to E-Town or Cedar Rapids, but straight to Ft Myers on an emergency loan-out? He's hardly missed a beat in the FSL "pitchers' league". A good, but not great, June sandwiched in-between outstanding numbers in May and July. He walks more than he strikes out.

    So, how far does he move up your rankings? And are the Twins believers in his major league potential enough to let him play outside of Florida any time soon?

  5. #5
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,742
    Like
    874
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Question about Rosario. With Dozier developing into an excellent defensive second baseman and assuming his bat improves in 2014 and beyond (say .275+/-)...he will have earned a spot in the lineup. What do they do with Rosario? Does he go back to the outfield? Yes, I know that is a year from know and assumes several things happening, but am curious as to your thoughts?
    I certainly hope Rosario doesn't go back to the OF. And I hope the Twins don't ever come to the conclusion that Dozier has earned himself a long-term spot in the lineup. You are trying to compare a potential mini-Robbie Cano-ceiling player with a Nick Punto-ceiling player. Right now, Dozier has (deservedly) won the battle of future UTIL IF that I hypothesized was what the Twins were doing with all the MI on the roster in 2013, nothing more.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    129
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What's with Sano being "Benched"?

  7. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,742
    Like
    874
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    What's with Sano being "Benched"?
    There's an extended thread for that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    129
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    There's an extended thread for that.
    Note to self..... Quit asking questions on the internet until I read everything first.

  9. #9
    He showboated after a homerun. They benched him for it. With him being so young, it was probably the right thing to do. However, I would only bench him for one game to make a point. Whatever.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    And Aderlin Mejia’s improbable run at Ft. Myers continues. He went 2-4 with his tenth double and is now hitting .341!
    Look out, Sano. We have a better 3B prospect waiting in the wings. Seriously love this guy though.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    372
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Oh No! Sano has the curse of personality. Start killing his spirit early. It is the Twins Way.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Oh No! Sano has the curse of personality. Start killing his spirit early. It is the Twins Way.
    As mentioned elsewhere, benching Sano now may save him from getting beaned by an angry pitcher sometime during his very promising career. People that throw baseballs and wave big sticks need to learn a high level of politeness and civility.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    372
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, benching Sano now may save him from getting beaned by an angry pitcher sometime during his very promising career. People that throw baseballs and wave big sticks need to learn a high level of politeness and civility.
    Purposely hitting a batter under the guise of "having your teammate's back". One of the most childish and cowardly traditions of baseball. I guess that should be allowed and having fun shouldn't. It can be a weird world.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    135
    Like
    29
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I certainly hope Rosario doesn't go back to the OF. And I hope the Twins don't ever come to the conclusion that Dozier has earned himself a long-term spot in the lineup. You are trying to compare a potential mini-Robbie Cano-ceiling player with a Nick Punto-ceiling player. Right now, Dozier has (deservedly) won the battle of future UTIL IF that I hypothesized was what the Twins were doing with all the MI on the roster in 2013, nothing more.
    How about a platoon for awhile. Dozier has excellent numbers against lefthanded pitching. I don't know Rosario's splits but I he is lefthanded. He has not played a lot of games at 2nd base so Dozier could come in late in the games for defense. Dozier would also be useful off the bench if you pinch hit for Florimon. Dozier could still play an inning or two at shortstop. I agree with not sending Rosario back to the outfield. He is way more valuable at 2B.

  15. #15
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,742
    Like
    874
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    How about a platoon for awhile. Dozier has excellent numbers against lefthanded pitching. I don't know Rosario's splits but I he is lefthanded. He has not played a lot of games at 2nd base so Dozier could come in late in the games for defense. Dozier would also be useful off the bench if you pinch hit for Florimon. Dozier could still play an inning or two at shortstop. I agree with not sending Rosario back to the outfield. He is way more valuable at 2B.
    Excellent plan, Otwins. Especially in the transitional phase (that hopefully begins with a September Rosario call-up!). Dozier has impressed me mostly by not having the mental/physical breakdown he suffered last year. He just seems to be destined to a LNP-type career (I say that with respect to LNP, not derision), with a lot more pop than pop-gun in his bat. It's yet to be determined on his potential future status as the regular UTIL IF, as the question needs to be answered if he has a wider Core Competency in the infield than just 2nd base.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.