Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Days of Walker

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

10 Days of Walker

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
    .404 47 12 19 4 0 7 16 0 11 0 0 .396 .936 1.332

This is Adam Walker's last 10 games. Crazy impressive.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Seems to be a bit of a streaky player. Crazy good when he's on though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    One of those prospects that really rounds out the system. Elite tools are worth drafting with the hope the rest of their game can follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    Seems to be a bit of a streaky player. Crazy good when he's on though.
    Just a guess because I have never seen him play but you have to suspect the inconsistency is a product of poor plate discipline. He has a very low walk rate and a guy with that kind of power is going to be pitched carefully. How good might he be with an improved approach. (see Carlos Gomez)

There seems to be a good amount of potential 25+ MLB HR threats in the organization. Sano, Arcia, Walker, Harrison, and Pinto. Hopefully at least two or three of them make it.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    most hitters can put up gaudy numbers in a small sample. Walker has been pretty decent this year as it is, and based on the numbers, I'd say he's learned about all he can. Probably ready to get promoted.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thing Walker didn't do is draw a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    There seems to be a good amount of potential 25+ MLB HR threats in the organization. Sano, Arcia, Walker, Harrison, and Pinto. Hopefully at least two or three of them make it.
    There are others I would put into this power category too. Such as Buxton and Kepler.

Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    There are others I would put into this power category too. Such as Buxton and Kepler.

The more the merrier right?

It beats putting all your hopes on Bob Gorinski.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From chat with Keith Law today:

Jesse (Minny)

Any opions on Adam Bret Walker in Cedar Rapids? He's over 20 HRs with a good AVG. Solid regular 1st baseman?
    Klaw (1:59 PM)

He's also 21 and a college product in low-A, with a poor walk rate and a K rate too high for a player of his age/experience. He's not a zero, but again, the stat line here is pretty misleading - and he should be in high-A.

Klaw (1:59 PM)

Seriously, don't draft a good college player in the first few rounds and send him to low-A in his first full year. You're wasting everyone's time.

So, there's that... I tend to agree that the Twins waste time with a lot of the college position player's they draft. Nate Roberts is another one, though his inability to stay healthy hasn't helped him either.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Blog Entries
    He's not a zero? Geez, easy on the superlatives, KLaw.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel the same way as KLaw. He needs to be challenged and right now he is feasting. Let him see some real pitchers.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Although I believe that there are times, players should be moved quickly as college draftees - Walker was one of the youngest college players in last years draft. If you are at age average for a league - there is no way you can be too old or experienced for that league (by definition of "average"). He will make it to the MLB at 24 if he progresses as is (A / A+ / AA / MLB): Does KLaw consider that damaged goods or too old to make your debut. KLaw is stuck in his categorical mind set of judging generalities. "This is how things should be done". GM's judge based on what they see from each player and how that particular player fits into thier long term goals. Although I want Walker to move up as well - I respect their plan. He's dominating and obviously learning at a productive pace. His K Rate is 22%. How is that too high at any level for a HR hitter?
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 07-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

I think the Twins brass put him there for a reason - the old chestnut of Twins moving players too slowly has been burst by our top guys moving up regularly.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I don't think that Law meant that the kid is a zero as much as he meant that his season really is not telling us anything.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Probably good to temper the enthusiasm a little. He is a C+ guy and I want him to do something in AA before I get excited. His bb and k rates are not especially inspiring.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Probably good to temper the enthusiasm a little. He is a C+ guy and I want him to do something in AA before I get excited. His bb and k rates are not especially inspiring.
    He definitely has things to work on. I am, however, impressed by his improved K rate (30% to 22%). That's what the minors is all about. Improving at each level and making adjustments. He has shown that he can make some adjustments and only needs to continue improving as he moves up the system. If he can lead the league in HRs at each level like he's shown and improve his K rate along the way like he's shown - Why not get Enthusiastic?

Blog Entries
    If we have to wait until the MLB team gets on the winning track, to be enthusiastic - It might be 2015? I'd rather get excited about the up and coming. Not like I can't handle disappointment if the prospects don't meet expectations. Been there Done that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I agree. They're also about identical to Sano's but that didn't stop him getting promoted.

He's done more than enough to warrant a promotion I think. Let's get going here, he's 21 already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast