Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@Angels 7/24 2:35PM

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Should have been an infield fly. Not sure why it wasn't... Unless nobody declaring it means it can't be declared afterwards.
    I thought perhaps Gardy was going to file a protest, but I guess that is only for cases where there is a rule interpretation. This would probably fall under the heading of Umpire Judgement (Or Lack Thereof).

Too bad, but still a very good series. Absent Diamond, the Twins are on quite the pitching roll, too.

No group of people do their job worse than major league umpires. Not butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, doctors, lawyers, or Indian chiefs.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    No group of people do their job worse than major league umpires. Not butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, doctors, lawyers, or Indian chiefs.
    I have seen some pretty sloppy work by candlestick makers.

To compare and contrast, here is a link to the infield fly called during the playoff game between St. Louis and Atlanta last season.

Atlanta Braves 8th Inning Infield Fly Rule Controversy against STL Cardinals | LIVE 10-5-12 - YouTube

There are people who will, with a straight face, tell you that both calls are correct. Never loan them money.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I'm hoping this is sarcasm. Major league umpires are easily the best of any major pro sports officials.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm hoping this is sarcasm. Major league umpires are easily the best of any major pro sports officials.
    Agreed. I mean look at the NBA refs. Yikes.
    I bent my wookie...

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Except Phil Cuzzi...

Oh, and I do think they need to automate balls and strikes... Way too inconsistent, and I'm not sure it's possible to be consistent... I'm not really knocking umps here, just see this as a huge flaw.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345