Thread: The Twins and Cutting Payroll

The Twins and Cutting Payroll

There's a lot of moaning about the Twins having cut the payroll for 2012. If you're one of the complainers, assuming you had $115M to $120M in payroll to spend, exactly where would you have spent it? Be realistic. The Twins were not going to get Pujols, Jose Reyes, C.J. Wilson, etc.

Here's a free agent tracker to help you out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...aseball_110211

Please show how you would have spent $115M.

I'll help you out a bit

These guys were already under contract:
    Mauer $23M
    Morneau $14M
    Pavano 8.5M
    Baker $6.5M
    Blackburn $4.75M
    T-Nish $3M
    Span $3M
    Perkins $1.5M

That's $64.25M

These guys were arbitration eligible
    Liriano $5.5M
    Casilla $1.38M

That's $6.88M; Total is now $71.13M. You have approx. $44M to spend on 15 more guys. Good luck.

These guys were signed as free agents:
    Willingham $7M
    Capps $4.75M
    Doumit $3M
    Marquis $3M
    Carroll $2.75M
    Burroughs $.525M

That's $21.25M.

The rest of the roster is made up of guys in the Twins system and are getting paid (typically) $.5M or the minimum of $.48M
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Ryan Madson $8.5M - At free agency time, we didn't know he would tear an elbow ligament
    Johnathan Broxton $4M
    Willingham $7M
    Burroughs $.5M
    Erik Bedard $1M
    Doumit $3M
    Takashi Saito $1.5M - He's 41, but a career 2.18 ERA

That would be $25M spent free agents, about $4M more than the Twins spent this year, but it 3 bullpens spots would have been filled (if Madson stayed healthy) and you could have let go of Capps. There would still be room to sign Marquis $3M, Carroll $2.75M and Kerry Wood $3M.

Rotation:
    Pavano
    Liriano
    Bedard
    Marquis
    Baker

Bullpen:
    Madson
    Broxton
    Perkins
    Duensing
    Swarzak
    Saito
    Wood

Lineup:
    1B Parmelee/Morneau
    2B Casilla
    3B Valencia/Burroughs
    SS Carrol
    C Mauer/Doumit
    LF Willingham
    CF Revere
    RF Span

The lineup stays pretty much the same, but you had some new and better arms to the rotation and bullpen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I probably would have gone after Edwin Jackson instead of Jason Marquis, at the very least he has proven to be a very tradable commodity at the deadline. I also was in favor of trying to trade and sign Brandon Phillips during the off season when it looked like he was unlikely to work a new deal with the Reds. As it turns out his new contract is larger and more expensive than I had anticipated it would have been so I'm not upset on that front.

I was also in favor of signing Francisco Cordero or Brad Lidge to compete with Glen Perkins as the Twins closer. As it turns out the Twins decided to pay Matt Capps more than either of those two. So at least in that aspect the Twins actually did decide to spend more than needed. Why it had to be on Capps I have no idea. I would have gladly taken the suplimental draft pick he would have gotten the Twins and Francisco Cordero instead.

Of course the main point of contention with fans probably has to do with the Twins not offering the extra $1.5 million a year to keep Cuddyer and instead asking him to take a paycut to stay. Not ripping the decision, just pointing it out.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 04-11-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I agree with the overall setiment of this post. I have a problem with how they constructed their bullpen, but I don't think it was a case of being cheap, more so not using the money correctly (Capps). What does signing Ryan Madsen (pre-injury) do for this team? They won 63 games last year, why would they spend a premium price for a 1 year rental at closer? I don't understand the Marquis signing, as he seems like a guy who may not have had any other Major league offers.

I was overjoyed with the signing of Willingham for $10 million less than Cuddyer. Why were people in such a rush to reassemble a 99 loss team?

In my opinion, the Twins are doing themselves no favors by pretending this isn't the beginning of hopefully a short, rebuilding period. If they came out an explained to the average fan their plan to get back into contention, there may not be such a public backlash about the payroll decreasing.

Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    Why is it a given Jose Reyes was impossible?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
    I really don't have a problem with decreased payroll for 2012. In fact, I don't think the Twins went far enough in that direction. I really think the Marquis, Capps, and Carroll deals weren't necessary and the Twins could have been as good without those guys and their contracts.

Did Bedard really sign for only a million. Jeez. Even if he's good for all of 90 innings, that guy has always been effective when healthy. To think we lost $800,000 giving Zumaya an audition...Bedard would've been our "staff ace", no question.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Many of the so called "complainers and moaners" are Season Ticket Holders. Twins Ticket prices are the 6th highest in Baseball. My seat back at the dome during the days of lower payrolls was $35, it is now $72. People pay more so they expect more. Are we forced to buy tickets? Of course not. Next year, many Season Ticket Holders may exercise their option to walk. Then you will really see the payroll drop.
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

I posted something similar in another thread, but gladly take up the challenge:
    I'm not offering Casilla arbitration, so that's another 1.38 - I have 45.25 to start with.
    Ignoring the signings the Twins made and sign the following:

J.Willingham, $7M
    R.Doumit, 3
    E.Jackson 11
    E.Bedard 4.5
    M.Scutaro 6.5
    A.Hill 5.5
    J.Keppinger 1.525
    C.Qualls 1.5
    T.Saito 1.75
    D.Wheeler 0.55
    M.Wuertz 0.55 (not signed, assuming he'll sign for just over the min)

Total of 43.38 - which puts me about $0.5 million over when adding the remaining 5 guys at minimum. I could live without Wuertz if I had to. This gives me:

Rotation
    Jackson
    Bedard/Baker (One's likely to be injured)
    Liriano
    Blackburn
    Pavano

Pen
    Perkins (Closer)
    Blackburn (if Bedard and Baker are healthy)
    Saito (RH Setup, could close if Perkins fails)
    Duensing (LH Setup)
    Qualls
    Wheeler
    Wuertz
    Swarczak

Lineup
    Span CF
    Mauer C
    Willingham LF
    Morneau 1B
    Doumit DH
    Hill 2B
    Valencia 3B
    Scutaro SS
    Revere/Plouffe RF

Bench
    Revere/Plouffe
    Keppinger
    Hughes
    Towles or whoever wins the spot coming out of camp if things play out like they did with Morneau

If you aren't comfortable with the the platoon in RF, or want to favor hitting over pitching and save a few bucks, you could skip E.Jackson, and replace him with a $2M B.Colon a $7.5M J.Kubel and 1M J.Gomes - Gomes and Kubel would be a great platoon in RF, with admittedly ugly D. In either case, the teams two greatest weaknesses are addressed with professional major leaguers in the middle infield and pitching. My team is still dependent on Mauer and Morneau rebounding to some level of previous performance, but with their salaries we don't have a choice but to count on that.

When you lose 99 games you have to be willing to blow up a significant portion of your roster, and that's what I've done. The Twins made a few fringe moves, but didn't address their core issues with guys that any other team would consider a solution. I think the team I put together would be very competitive and if things fell right could very well win a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Why is it a given Jose Reyes was impossible?
    Didn't say it was impossible, I said the Twins were not going to get him. He signed for what, $17M a year? Do you see the Twins offering $17M a year for a shortstop? The Twins have a history of not valuing shortstops. They are (wrongly) not on their priority list. If they were to have gotten Reyes for $17M, that means three players would be eating $54M of payroll (Mauer, Morneau, Reyes.) I would be OK with that, but the Twins wouldn't.

Bedard signed for $4.5M with the Pirates.

Whydidnt--good work.

Doug Y--Like the Kerry Wood idea and Broxton. I like Madson, but he's kind of high dollar.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, the moves I didn't like were Marquis and Capps. For all the angst on Carrol, there really wasn't much out there that could have been had cheaply. I was in favor of going after Bedard, Hardin, and a few cheap relievers with that cash, and as the market played out, getting Oswalt or Jackson on a 1 year deal with a decent option would have made sense, though I think those would have put me over.....

I think Harden is already hurt, but it would have saved a couple mill and to be honest, I'd be more comfortable with this rotation with Bedard in it, if for nothing else than to give Hendricks and Bromberg a bit more time.

These arms are still theoretically available - any chance the Twins consider spending the $ saved on Baker's insurance on any of these guys? Should they?

Starting pitchers
    Kyle Davies (28)
    Doug Davis (36)
    Armando Galarraga (30)
    Jon Garland (32)
    Sergio Mitre (31)
    Roy Oswalt (34) - Type A, no arbitration offer
    Joel Pineiro (33)
    Carlos Silva (33)
    Rick VandenHurk (27)
    Javier Vazquez (35)
    Brandon Webb (33)
    Right-handed relievers
    Michael Wuertz (33)

Left-handed relievers
    Joe Beimel (35)
    Mike Gonzalez (34)
    John Grabow (33)
    Hong-Chih Kuo (30)
    Damaso Marte (37)
    Trever Miller (39)
    Dennys Reyes (35)
    Arthur Rhodes (41) - Type B, no arbitration offer
    Mitch Stetter (31)
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 04-11-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: removed Zumaya from the list of RHP

I would look at Joel Pineiro, unless he is hurt. Never mind, he signed a minor league deal with the Orioles.