Thread: Record Breaking Futility?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Record Breaking Futility?

It's early. I know. I do think the offense will start to normalize but... Last year, Ben Revere and Drew Butera had near-record poor offensive stats. Thinking along those lines... I think the most outstanding (outrageous) offensive statistic for the Twins this year is that, through the first four games, they have only one hit during the first trip through the batting order. That is 36 plate appearances. I might be wrong, I don't keep a scorecard. If anyone can verify or prove this wrong, I would like to know. I tried to find some way to look this up but I didn't find any. Is there any way to see this kind of split or look back to a specific game for this kind of data?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if they keep it out there, and it wouldn't be direct, but since it's so few games you could likely go through the game summary on ESPN or mlb that gives the results of each batter. (Go to espn's twins' page, their schedule, and click the score of the game and in there you can find the Play-by-Play tab.) Again, not a one-stop exercise, but you could get at it if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It's early. I know. I do think the offense will start to normalize but... Last year, Ben Revere and Drew Butera had near-record poor offensive stats. Thinking along those lines... I think the most outstanding (outrageous) offensive statistic for the Twins this year is that, through the first four games, they have only one hit during the first trip through the batting order. That is 36 plate appearances.
    Why is this an outrageous statistic? Put another way, are the first 9 AB's more important than the middle 9 or the last 9 as far as scoring runs?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CDog - thanks for the heads up on ESPN play-by-play. Game two, the Twins had three hits. So the totals are 3 for 32, all singles (two were infield hits) with four walks. Not as bad as I was (mis)remembering. .094/.194/.094 triple split. Still pretty woeful.

powrwrap - you make a good point. But wouldn't it be outstanding (outrageous) if it were the middle nine or last nine too? I was just thinking back to 2010 and remembered hearing Dick and Bert brag all year long that the Twins were leading the majors in first inning runs and tried to think back through the first four games to what had happened...