Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Dominos begin to fall

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Ryan Braun is a piece of ****. The Lance of Armstrong of baseball. Even Arod has more class.
    Something tells me when this is all said and done, that second statement won't seem true anymore.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couple things to think of.

Voiding contracts is a bad idea. Craig Calceterra wrote an interesting piece for HBT on this one. It seems good at first until you try to flush it out.

I wonder how quickly the other dominoes should fall. With the exception of A-Rod, who hampered the investigation, I would think anyone else named should be asking for the same penalty.

Liked 1,190 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Couple things to think of.

Voiding contracts is a bad idea. Craig Calceterra wrote an interesting piece for HBT on this one. It seems good at first until you try to flush it out.
    I guess I never thought it would be an automatic void -- unless there is a permanent ban from baseball due to repeated offenses.

I always thought it should be that the team would have the option of voiding the contract. Other choice would be to keep the contract in place. Third option would be for both parties to renegotiate.

But I really do think that the teams deserve some protection on the long term contracts. There is something fundamentally wrong about being stuck with a long-term contract obtained by a player under false pretenses. (I'm not naive enough to think that team management doesn't have some suspicions at times but that's different than a violation of the policy).

And I would also guess that peer pressure is going to be the best regulatory device there is. There will always be cheaters but peer pressure is a powerful thing. After all, isn't that the reason so many cheat in the first place (a/k/a everybody is doing it)?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 286 Times in 144 Posts
    If the teams want some protection on long term contracts, they should put protection in those long term contracts when they make them.

Liked 1,190 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    If the teams want some protection on long term contracts, they should put protection in those long term contracts when they make them.
    I don't disagree with that but we've never heard reports of that type of clause in an mlb contract. Have to wonder if the MLBPA would previously not allow it or if the teams thought testing was protection enough or if agents would never agree.

I kind of think there must be more to that part of the story.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 286 Times in 144 Posts
    I think it's because baseball contracts are all guaranteed money. Plus with no salary cap, there's no reason to have voidable, non-guaranteed contracts. This is why small-market teams can't compete with big market teams over the long haul.

If Evan Longoria or Joe Mauer get busted, there's no coming back for TB or the Twins. If Robinson Cano gets busted, the Yankees can go buy a different second baseman.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Make a cheap offer quick, Mr Ryan. I'd love Braun if LF next year.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Something tells me when this is all said and done, that second statement won't seem true anymore.
    And I think someone's going to be eating his second statement words sooner, rather than later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123