Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dominos begin to fall

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    It would seem you have just done precisely what you are accusing the media of potentially doing.
    How so? I'm speculating on what could possibly happen based on the history of the media's established history of unfounded speculating- getting an inch worth of story and taking a mile. Are you denying that they have enough rope from Plouffe's and Braun's shared history to pursue this line? The local media love to find a local angle.
    Last edited by jokin; 07-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.

well the brewers are winning, so maybe a good thing?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post

given his history of welching on bets, don't count on it.

curt schilling accuses braun of being a fraud.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    "I realize now that I made some mistakes"

Just realized that now huh? I wonder what kind of hell that poor drug tester who got raked over the coals feels about your "mistakes" last time.
    Not too bad it only took him 3 years to figure out he made "some mistakes". He got off way too easy and it actually helps the Brewers get a better draft pick next year. He should have to sit out another 20-25 games in 2014.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckninetyone View Post
    well the brewers are winning, so maybe a good thing?
    You might want to look at the standings 1 more time. They are tied with the Twins both having 41 wins. Great by golf's scoring system low score is best.

Peter Gammons was just talking about (on the MLB Network) how there's been a shift in players attitudes, to the point where the Player's Union no longer seeks to defend cheaters in the same capacity. I'd like to hear from more current players decrying what Braun has done. I wonder how the Diamondbacks (at least those on the 2011 playoff team) are gioing to react when the face Braun next.

Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    You might want to look at the standings 1 more time. They are tied with the Twins both having 41 wins. Great by golf's scoring system low score is best.
    i meant tonight. they're up 3-1. wheeeeee!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Muckracking reporter Nicksaviking has found that Ryan Braun forfiets the remainder of his $8.5 million salary for 2013. In 2014, his contract calls for a $10 million salary. Speculation is that $10 million is larger than $8.5 million.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Liked 286 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckninetyone View Post
    curt schilling accuses braun of being a fraud.
    Tangential-relation alert: I never really liked Schilling when he was a player, or as an analyst, or when he took millions of $$$ from Rhode Island and bankrupted a company, so this may be biased, but...

He come off as such a jerk today on ESPN radio. He was being interveiwed about Bedard's decision to come out in the midst of a no-hitter, and said that Bedard was basically an awful person. Whatever, fine, I don't mind that. He continued, saying that you could tell Bedard had no heart/guts/whatever because he's pitched so few innings in his career. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Bedard's shoulder been falling off for year?

Anyway, Schilling seems unpleasant to me. And as a Brewers fan, Braun is dead to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    And as a Brewers fan, Braun is dead to me.
    Is that the general sentiment among Brewers fans? Is there a viable/non-rube message board for the Brewers?

Liked 286 Times in 144 Posts
    Is that the general sentiment among Brewers fans? Is there a viable/non-rube message board for the Brewers?
    I'm not sure if that's the general sentiment, but I'm sure there are plenty who feel that way. You tend to lose a lot of people who formerly had your back when it turns out you were lying all along.

Plenty of fans (and others) supported him last year, when his test was leaked before the appeals process, meaning no one would have known the test was positive had the process worked correctly. It's tough to continue supporting him when you know he was lying all along.

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Peter Gammons was just talking about (on the MLB Network) how there's been a shift in players attitudes, to the point where the Player's Union no longer seeks to defend cheaters in the same capacity. I'd like to hear from more current players decrying what Braun has done. I wonder how the Diamondbacks (at least those on the 2011 playoff team) are gioing to react when the face Braun next.
    Most likely scenario: Kennedy drills him, brawl ensues, Parra knifes him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB needed this as much as Braun. You gotta start somewhere, and a former MVP who was willing to waive appeals and take his medicine is as good as any. There are some big fish and many names yet to drop. They started with Braun because it sends a clear message to the rest: come clean, take the hit, and we will let you off easy. Take the long road, and we will inflict maximum pain. Think of the pressure now on the rest of the Biogenesis crew: would you want to be the last one to admit guilt?

I generally have problems with how players legacies have been effected by the "steroid era". It's ridiculously inconsistent, unfair, and seems to unfortunately correlate with how well liked the player was by the media. I also have issues with the arbitrariness of how MLB defines PED's and how that is decided.

That said, I have no sympathy for Ryan Braun and the current crop of guys under investigation. In the 90's and early 2000's there was an argument to be made that so many guys were doing it, and was outright ignored by the powers that be in MLB as long as ratings and stadium attendance went up. Since the Mitchell report, and the revamped testing, there isn't even that excuse.

Baseball has never been as rosy as people like to remember. The golden era of baseball was never that golden. Each "era" of baseball has had problems that affected the integrity of the game. There are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame who probably would have never gotten in if they had played today. A decision is going to have to be made about Hall of Fame candidates who retired in the last 10 years or so. Either you let them all in, or you don't let anyone in. Judging each player case by case hasn't seemed to work to well. Nobody was inducted this year, and it will probably only get more difficult.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    his contract calls for a $10 million salary.
    This is why he should be banned for life, he took enough roids to be signed to a huge contract, a contract that he will still collect on. If you have some struggling player looking at this case, only a 1/2 season suspension, why wouldn't he take a chance on taking a few steroids and getting his own big payday??

Baseball won't stop the steroid problem until they hand out longer suspensions and/or void the contracts of players that fail a drug test.

Liked 1,183 Times in 693 Posts
    The more I read and think about what he said, it looks to me like he set up his statement so that at some point in the future he can back away. I am very bothered by the fact that he did not admit PEDs use: ''I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions,'' he said in a statement.

I hope mlb got him to admit to usage not just to "mistakes".

Player rep Weiner might call it a "bold step" but it looks like a lot of weasel words to me.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will Valencia be among those banned ? or is he too small.

On the "Ryan Braun = Lance Armstrong" meme:

"ESPN’s Buster Olney —and legions of others online—are comparing the Brewers slugger with the disgraced cyclist since, like Armstrong, Ryan Braun preceded his admittance of guilt with profoundly passionate statements of innocence. But Ryan Braun never tried to financially ruin any of the people who accused him. Ryan Braun never brought frivolous lawsuits or bullied fellow teammates into using in order to make them complicit."

Dave Zirin, The Nation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast