Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/21): Arcia, Sano, Walker Provide Power

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/21): Arcia, Sano, Walker Provide Power

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Walker the 11th best prospect on his own team? Where would you rank him amongst the below list? Why or Why Not? That being said: Where would you rank Dalton Hicks and his 80+ RBI's?

The following players would have or have already played in Cedar Rapids this year:
    PROSPECT RANKINGS on TWINS SITE - MLBPipeline.com | MLB Prospect Central | twinsbaseball.com: News
    1. Byron Buxton (2nd) -
    2. Jose Berrios (7th) -
    3. Max Kepler (8th) -
    4. J.T. Chargois (9th) -
    5. Luke Bard (11th) -
    6. Travis Harrison (12th) -
    7. Mason Melotakis (14th) -
    8. Hudson Boyd (15th) -
    9. Niko Goodrum (16th) -
    10. Jorge Polanco (17th) -
    11. Adam Brett Walker (18th)
    12. Dalton Hicks (NR)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Off the top of my head, I put him sixth behind Buxton, Berrios, Kepler, Harrison and Polanco, in no particular order after Buxton. I'm guessing that the 8ish to mid-teen region is gonna be pretty interchangeable, though.

Through the many Miracle transactions, I missed that Corey Williams was placed on the 7-day DL.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Re: Hicks- let's see how he does at an age-appropriate level over the rest of the year. Right now, he's not a Top 30 guy for me. Do well in the FSL and maybe I'll change my mind.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd put Walker much higher in the rankings after this season. And it's not just numbers. My close friend with a good scouting eye said he was clearly the best player on the field after seeing him live in Cedar Rapids this year. Now, he's older than a lot of the guys there, so you have to factor that in. Such is the fate of college players in the Twins system. He is a man among boys there. You could say he should be a man among boys, but he has no control over his promotion schedule. I'd say he should be at the more age appropriate Fort Myers. I'm not going to penalize him in my rankings for earning a promotion and not getting one.

One note from John Sickels over the weekend on Twitter that Walker has stolen 84 out of 85 bases in college and the pros. He said he is known for his power, but his speed is also a plus tool. This makes it ever more likely that he can stick at a corner outfield spot.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Albers should replace ineffective Diamond now. Ibarra or Tonkin could replace ineffective Duensing in the bullpen.
    Last edited by jun; 07-22-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walker is about 21.5/21.6 years old. The average hitter in the Midwest league is 21.3, and the average pitcher in the MWL is 21.9. He's really not "too old" for this level at all.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Walker is about 21.5/21.6 years old. The average hitter in the Midwest league is 21.3, and the average pitcher in the MWL is 21.9. He's really not "too old" for this level at all.
    I agree. I was just responding to the revised list Jeremy provided, where most of the players ahead of Walker on that list are younger than him. It is a very young team for that league. Still, I would put him ahead of everyone except Berrios on that team right now, though I am very high on Kepler, Polanco, and Harrison.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. He's of league-average age, most top prospects are younger.

I'm heading down to watch him this weekend, curious to see how he looks.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What ever happened to Luke Bard? Still injured?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    88 RBI in 91 Games is incredible production. 22 HRs isn't bad either. Walker at 21.6 years old in the Midwest League (A). He was projected as a possible 1st rounder at one point in the 2012 draft. He slipped for contact concerns. If the Twins would have taken him in the supplemental round that year and he was producing as he is now - Would he be a Top 10 prospect in the system following this year? or is it his draft round (3rd) concerns that continues to be a red flag?