Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Offense a Secondary Concern

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Offense a Secondary Concern

Good points. I agree the offense should be decent when it kicks into gear. I am worried about several black holes in the lineup (Carroll, Casilla, Revere when in) who offer no threat of even gap power when in the lineup. If you take these Judy's out of the lineup, the loss in defense is huge. Having Morneau as a DH only is a killer when it comes to both batting and defensive flexibility.

With this pitching I cringe when I think how many runs the Twins may need to score during the warmer summer months to try to keep up with some of the high powered offenses in the AL. Outside of the friendly pitching confines of Target Field this staff may have an ERA in excess of 5.00.

Yeah, I was there, and while there were many highlights from the experience of attending Opening Day for me, none of them were from watching the game. It was wall to wall brutality.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel assured this will be a tough season to watch, but there are always some things to appreciate in these kinds of scenarios. Maybe Mauer will rebound to fight for a Batting Title, Parmelee, Benson, Dozier and Hendricks - Could be fun to watch their development. Maybe we will fetch a decent return in a Liriano, Pavano, Willingham, Capps, or Doumit trade. Realistically, maybe we can get something decent for Liriano... outside chance - Willingham.

I think the offense will be ok. But man, that rotation. Woof.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No false hopes

No false hopes for this team. The rotation and pen, excepting Perkins, is bottom of the barrel. Is he gonna continue batting Carroll 2nd until he wises up and brings up Dozier? I'd bet on it. It's a very bad team, maybe worse than last years.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can empathize with anyone who finds the 1st four games of 2012 disturbingly similar to the last 2 months of 2011. However, we need to keep perspective on how unsustainable this poor play is. For example:

Our team has a BABIP of .183, compared to the AL rate of .271. Last year, the worst rate in the league was .280.

The Twins have the fewest baserunners in the AL (33) but have hit into the most double plays (7). Hard to do. Over 21% of the Twins' baserunners have been eliminated on DPs. For the AL as a whole, the rate is less than 8%.

The pitcher's Left On Base % is under 65%, 2nd worst in the AL. Average is about 73%. The worst full-season rate in 2011 was the Twins' 69%.

Even if the Twins continue to play poorly, those numbers are bound to get better, which will inevitably result in more RS and fewer RA. Which should result in some wins.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    "It's a very bad team, maybe worse than last years." I find that comment extremely hard to beleive based upon what Morneau's start, along w/ Mauer, Span being healthy. Liriano, Baker, Pavano in contract years, better defensively up the middle. I can see a possibility of a better team this year, but the fans are going to leave quickly when you look at the first 35 game schedule and already starting 0-4, probably starting 1-8, or 0-9

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    the fans should start leaving.....at least the casual ones who aren't baseball obsessed. You don't keep paying for products that aren't good, sports should be no different.

This team is going to win 70 some games this year, closer to 70 than 80. There just weren't enough hits on the draft picks 5-10 years ago.

"There just weren't enough hits on the draft picks 5-10 years ago. "

True enough. Lets also point blame to Bill Smith for the truly lousy trades. Craps for Ramos, the Garza fiasco, nothing to show for Johan (not that he has done anything for Mets)...Bill Smith really let this team down.

Right, some other teams have started 0-4 but against much better teams than the O's. I feel like later this year we're going to need to trade for a starting pitcher but I'm afraid of what we'd have to give up. We can hardly spare the few good farm hands we have. I still think this team will get more wins than last year (unless top players go down again) but agree with Bark's lounge that we will find some fun/interesting things to follow.

Only plus I see this season so far is that we have not had to watch Capps blow a save opportunity. Soon. Soon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree that there are too many good hitters in this lineup for the hitting drought to continue....however, they will probably score 10 runs in one game and then nothing the next day...it is just their MO. I'm going to the game tomorrow, so I hope the hitting parade happens while I'm there.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts

Great call...

Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    ...they will probably score 10 runs in one game and then nothing the next day...it is just their MO. I'm going to the game tomorrow, so I hope the hitting parade happens while I'm there.
    They got 10 runs today just as you asked. If they get shut out tomorrow, it's all your fault.