Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morneau at first

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts

Morneau at first

I know it may be quite some time (if ever) before it happens but getting Morneau back at 1st base would really help this team settle in. I have to believe that was what Ryan and Gardy were hoping for despite how well Parmalee played this spring.

Doumit would benefit far more from being DH (which was supposed to be the plan) and occasionally spelling Mauer at catcher, without having to worry about RF as well, I believe it would help him at the plate. Having Plouffe and Revere get more time in RF without working in Doumit would also help things.

I like what Parmalee brought last fall and in the spring but if Morneau was healthy enough to play 1st during the spring, I wonder what the plan for Parmalee would have been?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Parmalee looks lost. Make the change.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If DH-ing Morneau will keep him healthy and he can recapture his offensive ability, keep him there. Doumit is probably a one and done here and has never shown a propensity towards staying healthy for a full season. Parmelee should play everyday if he's on the big boy's squad - he has done nothing as of yet to prove he does not belong here.

I agree that he hasn't done anything to not deserve being here and yes this is all risk aside when it comes to Morneau. My thought was, had Morneau proved to be healthy enough to play 1st base, where would Parmelee have fit in? Sometimes DH and RF? Not at all?

Personally I don't think he was expected to make the big club and might not have if Morneau was capable of playing 1st the majority of the time. That's an OK thing really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I agree that he hasn't done anything to not deserve being here and yes this is all risk aside when it comes to Morneau. My thought was, had Morneau proved to be healthy enough to play 1st base, where would Parmelee have fit in? Sometimes DH and RF? Not at all?

Personally I don't think he was expected to make the big club and might not have if Morneau was capable of playing 1st the majority of the time. That's an OK thing really.
    I can only assume that Parmelee was slated for Rochester at the onset of Spring Training. Morneau, to me, just a simpleton fan, was never a guarantee and I must admit we have gotten a lot more out of him than I would have expected at this juncture. At the end of last season I was not sure he would be able to play again. He seems to be swinging okay and you take what you get. To respond to your question, Parmelee would be the RF. I think he is valued more than Revere for his speculated offensive prowess and on a team needing impact pop hitters you need to do your best to make it fit.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Add to that the fact that Revere as a pinch runner/defensive replacement is probably worth more than Parmalee as a pinch hitter late in games

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    He's only played 2 games at 1b, and so far has done better defensively than the other 1b option Mauer

Blog Entries
    Parmelee will be a fine defensive player. He looks comfortable in the field and at the plate which is not common for a player with his lack of experience. He is a late bloomer and I believe will surprise people with his output. The reason he was drafted in the 1st round in 2006 was for his projected future ability. It is starting to take its form.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you seen him with a compass or something? Kid's played twice.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agree with Bark's response that had Morneau been ready to go at 1B even half the time, Parmalee starts in Rochester. This situation has been my biggest disappointment of the spring and season. Morneau healthy was huge. And it's not that I think badly of Parmalee so much as it has the domino effect of not having DH for Doumit and having to fight a bit to get him in. Not to mention, it just was a good feelling to have Morneau better to the point of doing it all. I am still holding out hope that he'll start taking a game a week in the field at some point. Then maybe two, etc.

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;8717]Parmelee will be a fine defensive player.

What makes you say that? Parm's future with this team is as a DH at best, there hasn't been anything in his minor league career to indicate he can ever be an everyday position player. He wouldn't be this year if Morneau was healthy enough.

And I like Chris Parmelee, just don't make him into something he's not only to be disappointed later.

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Agree with Bark's response that had Morneau been ready to go at 1B even half the time, Parmalee starts in Rochester. This situation has been my biggest disappointment of the spring and season. Morneau healthy was huge. And it's not that I think badly of Parmalee so much as it has the domino effect of not having DH for Doumit and having to fight a bit to get him in. Not to mention, it just was a good feelling to have Morneau better to the point of doing it all. I am still holding out hope that he'll start taking a game a week in the field at some point. Then maybe two, etc.
    I couldn't agree more, this team was put together with the intention of Morneau playing 1st and Doumit at DH. They are a better team with that scenario the majority of the time.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=twinsnorth49;8723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Parmelee will be a fine defensive player.

What makes you say that? Parm's future with this team is as a DH at best, there hasn't been anything in his minor league career to indicate he can ever be an everyday position player. He wouldn't be this year if Morneau was healthy enough.

And I like Chris Parmelee, just don't make him into something he's not only to be disappointed later.
    I guess I don't understand what you are seeing. He looks comfortable in field and he will get better as time progresses. You can't just snap your fingers and make a player a great fielder. The fact of the matter is that Parmelee is not a bad fielder and will improve. remember that Morneau was an awful defensive 1st Baseman and turned himself into an above average fielder. That takes some time. Parmelee is on the right path.

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;8727]

I guess I don't understand what you are seeing. He looks comfortable in field and he will get better as time progresses. You can't just snap your fingers and make a player a great fielder. The fact of the matter is that Parmelee is not a bad fielder and will improve. remember that Morneau was an awful defensive 1st Baseman and turned himself into an above average fielder. That takes some time. Parmelee is on the right path.
    Ok, it's only been 4 games, maybe not fair but your view contradicts most books on him. Morneau is much more athletic, Parmalee is no Morneau, now or later.

The fact of the matter is they can ultimately do better at 1st and still keep Parm's bat.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=twinsnorth49;8753]

Ok, it's only been 4 games, maybe not fair but your view contradicts most books on him. Morneau is much more athletic, Parmalee is no Morneau, now or later.

The fact of the matter is they can ultimately do better at 1st and still keep Parm's bat.
    What Books/Resources?

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Have you seen him with a compass or something? Kid's played twice.
    Jeez thanks a lot... I'm Laughing so hard at that comment that my wife punched me.

It didn't help that she just took her clothes off getting ready for bed at the exact same time as me reading it.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOL, so we should go by his 11 PA sample size this year and ignore his stellar Sept last year?

Also, Parmelee is at worst an above average defensive 1st baseman, he is more than capable on that end of the spectrum to hold down the job. Ultimately it will come down to his bat, and honestly he deserves at least a month or two to prove he belongs for the long term (this season)

Also, as bad as Parm has been at the plate in this young season he still has the 5th best OPS on the team....let that sink in for a second. It's way to early to be "making changes"

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I couldn't agree more, this team was put together with the intention of Morneau playing 1st and Doumit at DH. They are a better team with that scenario the majority of the time.
    Who exactly is Doumit/Parmelee blocking when they are in RF/1B. Plouffe? Hughes? Revere?
    Please, it's not like they are blocking some can't miss guy on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    Who exactly is Doumit/Parmelee blocking when they are in RF/1B. Plouffe? Hughes? Revere?
    Please, it's not like they are blocking some can't miss guy on the roster.
    No there is no can't miss guys in the way, just saying Doumit is better off being the DH and let Plouffe or Revere play RF, Revere at the very least is much better defensively and Plouffe likely would be as well. Morneau, when healthy is a better 1st baseman, if he was coming out of camp where did that leave Parmelee, RF? I don't think so.

I'm not saying make changes, it's a hypothetical question because as we all know Morneau wasn't healthy enough to play 1st base. My opinion is just that the team is better with him there and Doumit occupying the DH spot, which is what Terry Ryan and Gardy hoped would be the case from the beginning.

[QUOTE=twinsnorth49;8753]

Morneau is more athletic than Parmelee? Yikes. If that's true that would mean Parmelee can barely move at all. Morneau is not athletic, he's just a good 1B & hitter. Parmelee is even money to end up just as solid at 1B as Morneau if he's willing to work as hard as Justin did. Let's get 25 games into the season before we start passing judgement on a young kid like Parmelee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast