Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morneau at first

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    [QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;8754]
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post

What Books/Resources?
    There's lots, The Baseball Prospect Book, The Scouting Report, Baseball America and plenty of articles as he has come through the system. He's average at best, maybe that's good enough.

Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee was a 1st round pick with projected power. As he came through the system his stats were disapointing and didn't match the projections. Recently he has started to turn it on.

The stats mean very little... the scouting reports mean very little. It's up to the kid and the situations that he is put into and how he does in those situations.

I've seen too many players out perform their minor league stats in the majors and too many players under perform their minor league stats in the majors.

I've seen bad hitters all of a sudden become good ones and good hitters become bad ones.

With Parmelee it is way too soon to tell... I'm pulling for him. Based on last September... He showed that he can handle the low pitch and drive it a long way. Can he handle the high pitch after pitchers stop throwing him the low stuff. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    This article is from a little while back, but it makes it pretty clear that both the Twins and Morneau want him to be playing first base again in the future:
    http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120401&content_id=27803664&vkey= news_min&c_id=min

He seems like he's feeling comfortable so far, might as well start easing him back into it sooner rather than later.

As far as Parmelee goes, I have to agree with tn49, don't make him into something he isn't. He's got a bright future, but more likely as a role player than a regular. Give him time to prove himself, but don't be surprised if opposing pitchers start picking him apart after teams start scouting him more thoroughly. Hopefully he can adjust quickly, but these things generally take time. Remember how Wilson Ramos struggled after exploding in his first two games? Parmelee's made it longer but did it September when pitchers are a bit more worn down and spring training where performance really doesn't correlate too strongly with the regular season.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    If DH-ing Morneau will keep him healthy and he can recapture his offensive ability, keep him there. Doumit is probably a one and done here and has never shown a propensity towards staying healthy for a full season. Parmelee should play everyday if he's on the big boy's squad - he has done nothing as of yet to prove he does not belong here.
    I posed this question on another thread and received no answers: What is the virtue of Morneau having 600 at bats on a team that loses 100 games? If he's healthy enough to DH, he's healthy enough to play 1B.

If Morneau's long term health and welfare are really at risk, why is he playing at all? I will hold no ill feelings towards Morneau or any other player walking away from the game to protect his long term well being.

I want the Twins to win, but not at that cost.

No.

Why does you need Morneau to play 1st base at this point? Nostalgia? Does it give you warm and fuzzy memories of 2006?

The offense has been terrible through 4 games, but that has nothing to do with the decision to DH Morneau. Putting Morneau at 1B does nothing but free up the DH spot for somebody else, and none of them are going to be better options than Parmalee at this point. If Parmalee had an "awful" year, he could still hit 10 HR's with a crappy average. Are you going to get that from Ben Revere? I certainly don't want it to be Doumit, and Gardy wants him more as an emergency fill in at 3 positions anyway - if he DH's regularly, he can't come in and play a position.

Morneau's last setback occurred on a defensive play that involved no contact. I don't even want concussions to be on Morneau's mind right now. He needs to focus on getting his swing and timing back without wondering if that last dive for a groundball or the accidental collision covering 1B might have just ended his career. So far, so good with his hitting, IMO. There was a play Parmalee made where he dove down the line, and I wasn't the only one who saw that and wondered "Crap, what would we be thinking if that were Morneau?"

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    LOL, so we should go by his 11 PA sample size this year and ignore his stellar Sept last year?

Also, Parmelee is at worst an above average defensive 1st baseman, he is more than capable on that end of the spectrum to hold down the job. Ultimately it will come down to his bat, and honestly he deserves at least a month or two to prove he belongs for the long term (this season)

Also, as bad as Parm has been at the plate in this young season he still has the 5th best OPS on the team....let that sink in for a second. It's way to early to be "making changes"
    Twins clearly should have made the change last night, Luke Hughes at 1st base would have had 2 triples last night.

Twins clearly should have made the change last night, Luke Hughes at 1st base would have had 2 triples last night.
    It's funny how this thread was perceived as a, let's kick Parmelee to the curb affair. My point was that, it was this club's strongest desire in the off season to have Morneau playing 1st base and Doumit as the DH, most of the time, so where did that leave Parmelee.

I didn't say he shouldn't make the team or that he didn't deserve to make the team or that he couldn't hit, merely wondering aloud and starting a conversation on where everyone thought he might end up if everything had gone by Ryan's original plan. I still don't think his long-term future is as the everyday 1s baseman but I'm open to him proving me wrong, I like the guy.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    It's funny how this thread was perceived as a, let's kick Parmelee to the curb affair. My point was that, it was this club's strongest desire in the off season to have Morneau playing 1st base and Doumit as the DH, most of the time, so where did that leave Parmelee.

I didn't say he shouldn't make the team or that he didn't deserve to make the team or that he couldn't hit, merely wondering aloud and starting a conversation on where everyone thought he might end up if everything had gone by Ryan's original plan. I still don't think his long-term future is as the everyday 1s baseman but I'm open to him proving me wrong, I like the guy.
    I don't think anyone including Ryan was actually counting on Morneau to come back and play 1st all year healthy anyways, who cares what there plan was on March 1st? By April 1st Parmelee had hit himself onto the roster one way or another. If hypothetically Morneau was healthy and playing 1st base currently I think you would see Parmelee as the every day RF since he has logged over 280 games at RF in the minors/majors.

Also his defense at 1st base is at worst above average, I haven't seen him in RF but I haven't heard anything negative about his play there.

Davey boy, I love it when you help the TD readers see the light as you have done for me so many times. I think we will see BIG PARM in RF tonight.

Span CF
    Carroll SS
    Mauer 1B
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit C
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee RF
    Plouffe 2B

Just my prediction for tonight's lineup.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    I think we will see BIG PARM in RF tonight.
    I hope not...since they play a day game. Hehe. I picture him standing out there aimlessly in an empty park, lights off, looking confused.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Davey boy, I love it when you help the TD readers see the light as you have done for me so many times. I think we will see BIG PARM in RF tonight.

Span CF
    Carroll SS
    Mauer 1B
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit C
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee RF
    Plouffe 2B

Just my prediction for tonight's lineup.
    I wonder if they plan on eventually giving Morneau any occasional days off as a precaution? I could see them with Mauer @ DH, Parm @ 1st, Revere in RF and Plouffe @ 2B

[QUOTE=twinscowboysbulls;9207]Davey boy, I love it when you help the TD readers see the light as you have done for me so many times. I think we will see BIG PARM in RF tonight.

Not sure what light I'm supposed to be seeing, Parmelee in RF isn't exactly Einstein material.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if they plan on eventually giving Morneau any occasional days off as a precaution? I could see them with Mauer @ DH, Parm @ 1st, Revere in RF and Plouffe @ 2B
    I have a hard time seeing Gardy making out a lineup with Mauer at DH. Not with his over concern about running out of catchers during the course of a game.

I'd do it on occasion and wouldn't think twice but I'm not allowed to make out the lineup. Oddly, I'm not allowed in the dugout either.

Just what the doctor ordered! Gotta say I liked the look of that lineup tonight.

Blog Entries
    Good to see the Big Canadien in the field eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Good to see the Big Canadien in the field eh?
    Damn straight brother!

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It was nice to see Morneau back in the field, but I imagine he will go back to DHing.
    No need to rush him back into the field every day and risk further set backs.

Blog Entries
    It was nice to see Morneau back in the field, but I imagine he will go back to DHing.
    I'm sure the situation will be fluid for a short period of time but it won't be that long. In my opinion.

I have no idea what the plan is. I can't say that I'm "mad" at Gardy or anything because Justin IS a 1st baseman and a concussion could happen to him on literally any play. I just don't understand the timing of it all - he spent all of training camp working at 1B, he played 1B in Spring Training games, and they said he was "diving all over the place in practice" and making them nervous. Then they open the season and decide he's DH-only for the indefinite future, and that lasts all of 10 games.

First regular season game at 1B and he was forced to make a hard dive to his right, not unlike the one Parmalee made to his left earlier this year. Checked Twitter, and none of the talking/blogging heads seemed to even notice it. And since he hit that mammoth HR to center at Yankee Stadium of all places, I'm sure Gardy will have it in his head that Morneau "hits better" playing at 1B. Probably getting tonight off b/c of Sabathia and just to get a day off, but I'll bet he spends half or more of his remaining games at 1B. Great if he can do it, but if he ends up hurt in a collision or a dive playing the field, there may be some who question whether they should've stuck with the DH experiment a little longer.

I'm a big fan of Morneau and really hope that I'm being over-analytical and overly-cautious here.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I have no idea what the plan is. I can't say that I'm "mad" at Gardy or anything because Justin IS a 1st baseman and a concussion could happen to him on literally any play. I just don't understand the timing of it all - he spent all of training camp working at 1B, he played 1B in Spring Training games, and they said he was "diving all over the place in practice" and making them nervous. Then they open the season and decide he's DH-only for the indefinite future, and that lasts all of 10 games.

First regular season game at 1B and he was forced to make a hard dive to his right, not unlike the one Parmalee made to his left earlier this year. Checked Twitter, and none of the talking/blogging heads seemed to even notice it. And since he hit that mammoth HR to center at Yankee Stadium of all places, I'm sure Gardy will have it in his head that Morneau "hits better" playing at 1B. Probably getting tonight off b/c of Sabathia and just to get a day off, but I'll bet he spends half or more of his remaining games at 1B. Great if he can do it, but if he ends up hurt in a collision or a dive playing the field, there may be some who question whether they should've stuck with the DH experiment a little longer.

I'm a big fan of Morneau and really hope that I'm being over-analytical and overly-cautious here.
    He was playing everyday at 1B but was struggling big time at the plate as well, as soon as they moved him to DH he started hitting very well.

The reason they seemed to give at the time was the more "tired" he was the more symptoms or possible symptoms would show back up. Against a RHP the lineup should include Mauer, Morneau and Parmelee for sure, against a LHP you can move Morneau to 1st base and have Doumit DH (if hes not already playing RF)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast