Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge shakeup at CR; Hicks promoted along with 3 others

Huge shakeup at CR; Hicks promoted along with 3 others

Dalton Hicks, J.D. Williams, Steve Gruver, and Tyler Jones all headed to Fort Myers, according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Dallas Gallant and Tim Shibuya promoted from Elizabethton to Cedar Rapids. Jairo Rodriguez back to CR from FM. Last roster spot likely to be filled by the Fort Wayne series on Saturday. Huge news.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Any inclination of who the last spot will be filled by? Is it likely to be filler or something more substantial?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably frustrating for CR fans, even if they can be hopeful about the new guys coming up. But that's life in a single-A market I guess. And it is so great for the organization, to have promotable guys at each of these levels, rather than guys languishing or treading water as organizational filler.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Have to think Vargas is heading to AA, along with a couple of others.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So what happens to the extra players now at Fort Myers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Probably frustrating for CR fans, even if they can be hopeful about the new guys coming up. But that's life in a single-A market I guess. And it is so great for the organization, to have promotable guys at each of these levels, rather than guys languishing or treading water as organizational filler.
    They still have Walker and Polanco, who will now be 1-2 in the league in RBI along with Berrios and Harrison. They still have some pretty big names who now possibly have chips on their shoulders due watching their buddies get promoted while they stay behind.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    They still have Walker and Polanco, who will now be 1-2 in the league in RBI along with Berrios and Harrison. They still have some pretty big names who now possibly have chips on their shoulders due watching their buddies get promoted while they stay behind.
    Some German kid, too. Though I don't know what all the Norwegians in Iowa think about that.

How does Walker and Polanco not get moved up!? They need to start eliminating the crap on some of these rosters. I mean, there is some seriously bad players that stick around...why is that! Get rid of some of these guys and move the guys up that are deserving!

Senior Member Triple-A
    I am also wondering about the absence of Walker or Polanco in these moves. Can someone clarify for us about these two not earning their callup? (yet)

Also, I really think Beresford needs to be called up to the Bigs and they should just release/trade Carroll. We are in rebuild mode...no reason to keep the crap we have on this roster anymore.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Also, I really think Beresford needs to be called up to the Bigs and they should just release/trade Carroll. We are in rebuild mode...no reason to keep the crap we have on this roster anymore.
    Please show a little more respect for guys like Carroll. He's a highly skilled, totally professional ballplayer. Teams need guys like that for their diverse skills, and also for the positive influence they can have on young players like Florimon, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia, etc. Even if Beresford is a talented utility infielder, he won't have the credentials of an experienced, knowledgeable veteran like Carroll. When Carroll hangs up his spikes, I hope the Twins are lucky enough to get him as an instructor in their system.

How does Walker and Polanco not get moved up!? They need to start eliminating the crap on some of these rosters. I mean, there is some seriously bad players that stick around...why is that! Get rid of some of these guys and move the guys up that are deserving!
    even if polanco and walker were promoted now, they'd still likely start next year at ft. myers so their developmental curve will be mostly unchanged. walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on so their staying in c.r. for a year isn't a bad thing.

What remedial things?

Senior Member Triple-A
    I don't want to take anything away from the players, but I feel my promotion to AA today has been going under the radar on TD and has not gotten the attention it should.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I agree they need to find room for Walker, but it likely was due to a space crunch. There's still only three OF spots in Ft. Myers and they likely had to chose between Walker and Williams and Williams has already spent 1 1/2 years in the Midwest league. Williams is justly deserved of a promotion aside from just the service time and the guy knows how to take a walk, something the Twins clearly love.

Polanco is tough, he deserves to be moved too but Petterson and Mejia have been huge surprises at Ft. Myers and they are blocked at NB by Rosario and Santana. They are currently blocked by Escobar and Beresford at Rochester. The following is a rediculous statement: Polanco is blocked by the surprising depth of the middle infielders ahead of him.

Though a special talent needs to be prioritized differently, we shouldn't forget that Arcia last year and Buxton this year were the only HS age offensive players the Twins didn't require spend a full year in Low A in a very, very long time.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    I don't want to take anything away from the players, but I feel my promotion to AA today has been going under the radar on TD and has not gotten the attention it should.
    It's been a day full of changes; hard to give every move all the attention it deserves. In your case - as a senior member - you're a little old for that level anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Please show a little more respect for guys like Carroll. He's a highly skilled, totally professional ballplayer. Teams need guys like that for their diverse skills, and also for the positive influence they can have on young players like Florimon, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia, etc. Even if Beresford is a talented utility infielder, he won't have the credentials of an experienced, knowledgeable veteran like Carroll. When Carroll hangs up his spikes, I hope the Twins are lucky enough to get him as an instructor in their system.
    '

I don't disagree with that but in the end, this is a business and for the fans, moves should be made that start to improve the ball club for the long-haul. I respect Carroll, but he is what he is at his age. He's a utility player that comes in for defensive purposes or pinch running. Nothing more. Beresford may be part of the future and the sooner he gets up here, the sooner we will know.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Some German kid, too. Though I don't know what all the Norwegians in Iowa think about that.
    Trust me, not too many Norwegians in this part of Iowa....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Beresford may be part of the future and the sooner he gets up here, the sooner we will know.
    I don't think it quite works that way. If Beresford has specific issues to work through at AAA before he's best prepared for the ML, we'd be doing him a disservice.

If Beresford were ready or needing of addition he certainly would have taken Escobar's spot. In any case, Beresford wouldn't be getting any at bats, which is (in part) why Escobar was sent down in he first place.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Trust me, not too many Norwegians in this part of Iowa....
    Yeah... all dem dere Norwegians in the Amana Colonies!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast