Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you play?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who would you play?

If you were in Gardy's shoes, what would your lineup be for tomorrow? What would you do to try and get this team going?

And don't say bring up Dozier, that's not happening in the next 24 hours.

Personally, my lineup would be:

1. Span, RF
    2. Revere, CF
    3. Mauer, C
    4. Morneau, DH
    5. Willingham, LF
    6. Parmalee, 1B
    7. Hughes, 2b
    8. Plouffe, SS
    9. Burroughs, 3b

Shake things up a little. Remind Valencia, Doumit, Carroll, and Casilla that if they don't perform, there are other guys waiting to take their spot. Remind Span that we have other guys that can man CF if he can't keep Pujols from going first to third. If we had a third catcher, I'd sit Mauer too, but Doumit has looked even worse at the plate

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I would have traded Revere when he still had some value in the off season. And for all the Dozier talk, he is hitting against minor league pitching for a week so far. Sano might make it interesting if he continues to rip the cover off the ball.

I also like Span in RF, but mine would be:

Span RF
    Mauer C
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee 1B
    Hughes 2B
    Plouffe SS
    Revere CF

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,182 Times in 629 Posts
    Span CF
    Mauer C
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee 1B
    Hughes 2B
    Plouffe RF
    Carroll SS

And stick with it for awhile.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I think the top of the order needs shaking up..

Revere CF
    Mauer C
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit RF
    Parmalee 1B
    Valencia 3B
    Plouffe SS
    Casilla 2B

However, I am willing to bet this is the lineup we'll see:
    Span CF
    Carroll SS
    Mauer C
    Mourneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit RF
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee 1B
    Casilla 2B

Gardenhire wants this to be his every day lineup and coming off an off day, it's the typical time for him to put it back in play.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Revere LF
    2. Mauer C
    3. Span CF
    4. Morneau 1B
    5. Willingham DH
    6. Parmlee RF
    7. Burroughs 3B
    8. Casilla 2B
    9. Carroll SS

If Morneau is healthy enough to DH, he's healthy enough to play 1st base. What is the virtue of getting 600 at bats on a team that loses 120 games? Willingham is a defensive liability. Valencia just isn't getting it. 12 similarly non skilled pitchers is too many.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    If you were in Gardy's shoes, what would your lineup be for tomorrow? What would you do to try and get this team going?

And don't say bring up Dozier, that's not happening in the next 24 hours.

Personally, my lineup would be:

1. Span, RF
    2. Revere, CF
    3. Mauer, C
    4. Morneau, DH
    5. Willingham, LF
    6. Parmalee, 1B
    7. Hughes, 2b
    8. Plouffe, SS
    9. Burroughs, 3b

Shake things up a little. Remind Valencia, Doumit, Carroll, and Casilla that if they don't perform, there are other guys waiting to take their spot. Remind Span that we have other guys that can man CF if he can't keep Pujols from going first to third. If we had a third catcher, I'd sit Mauer too, but Doumit has looked even worse at the plate
    Sorry, I am going to use Dozier in my hypothetical line-up, At the conclusion of last season I felt in my baseball heart that this would be a Rebuilding Season and not a Retooling Season. Although Willingham has looked okay at the plate so far, I would not have signed him, Carroll - No, Marquis - No, Doumit - Yes, he can be a good hitting back-up Catcher and Bench Player at a fair price. You might as well have a sub-par season playing young players to take their licks and get experience than squirting some Elmer's Glue on an amputated limb, hoping that will stop the bleeding. In my unprofessional opinion, that is what the Twin's Front Office is doing and are only delaying the future success of the ball club.

CF- Span
    LF - Revere
    C - Mauer
    DH - Morneau
    RF - Benson
    1B - Parmelee
    3B - Hughes (I am a glutton for punishment)
    2B - Plouffe (See Above 3B)
    SS - Dozier

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span CF
    Carroll 2B
    Mauer C
    Morneau 1B
    Willingham RF
    Doumit DH
    Valencia 3B
    Dozier SS
    Revere LF

SP: Hendriks

OK, back to the without Dozier part of it:

I'd move Carroll back to 2nd and have Casilla bat 8th at 2B.
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 04-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span CF
    Mauer C
    Morneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit RF
    Valencia 3B
    Parmalee 1B
    Carroll SS
    Casilla 2B

The change there from the "norm" would have nothing to do with shaking anything up, though, as that would have been my Opening Day lineup.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanLV View Post
    If Morneau is healthy enough to DH, he's healthy enough to play 1st base. What is the virtue of getting 600 at bats on a team that loses 120 games? Willingham is a defensive liability. Valencia just isn't getting it. 12 similarly non skilled pitchers is too many.
    This was pretty well covered at the end of March on all the media outlets as to why he's DH'ing over playing 1B for the most part. Also, I'll be in Las Vegas in May if you'd like to meet to place a legal wager on that 120 loss prediction.

Revere CF
    Hughes 2B
    Mauer C
    Mourneau DH
    Willingham LF
    Doumit RF
    Parmelee 1B
    Valencia 3B
    Casilla SS

Span is 4 for 15 so far this year and 2 for 13 career against Weaver. Carroll is 1 for 10 against Weaver and 0 for 13 so far this year. They're grabbing some pine.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 04-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Mine would be:

1. Span RF
    2. Mauer C
    3. Morneau DH
    4. Willingham LF
    5. Valencia 3B
    6. Parmalee 1B
    7. Hughes 2B
    8. Carroll SS
    9. Revere CF

I think this is the best balance of offense and defense for the Twins, with what they have. I like Mauer 2nd in lineup – good on base and RBI guy.
    Morneau's hitting the best, so having him third makes sense. If Dozier were here, I would put him in in place of Carroll.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Surprised so many of you are willing to leave Valencia at 3b given his performance so far.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Surprised so many of you are willing to leave Valencia at 3b given his performance so far.
    He doesn't appear to be the answer to the long lasting void the Twin's have to fill. I'd rather give Hughes and Plouffe a try. they might not be any better, but at this point what is there to lose? Valencia is as we all know a lack luster fielder and if you have an OBP below .300, you should not be starting for any team... let alone he is a corner infielder who should provide some offensive pop. Not happening.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Velencia is proudly on my bench. I may not allow him on the bench. May force him to sit in corner in the clubhouse with no pre game or post game food to snack on. May make him sort socks or something. Even if Velencia has a couple of dingers off weaver. Message must be sent. Velencia you do not have a major league job sewn up yet.

OK the lineup against Weaver

Span CF (bunt single to start the game)
    Mauer C (funny how a lot of us think Mauer should be in the two hole)
    Willingham RF (just to break up the lefties)
    Morneau 1B (he's gotta play 1B sometime again... Nows as a good time as any)
    Doumit DH (that's right... Both catchers in the lineup and one at DH...can u sleep tonight)
    Plouffe 3B (2 for 5 against weaver... 400 average baby)
    Hughes 2B (1 for 2 against weaver.. 500 average baby)
    Revere LF (here comes the speed... We may have to bunt and steal and little ball it)
    Casilla SS (More speed... Weaver will need his slide step and Ianetta will be tested)

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Velencia is proudly on my bench. I may not allow him on the bench. May force him to sit in corner in the clubhouse with no pre game or post game food to snack on. May make him sort socks or something. Even if Velencia has a couple of dingers off weaver. Message must be sent. Velencia you do not have a major league job sewn up yet.
    Well, after reading this I was 100% convinced that Riverbrian and Gardy are one in the same, but then he had to go and throw a curve ball by putting Doumit at DH. We all know Gardy's head might explode if he has to have a pitcher hit...not sure why since any of the pitchers on our team must be able to hit as well as most these guys have so far, but.... So, now I'm really confused, is it Gardy and Doumit is just at DH to throw us off?

Answer this, has any of us ever seen Riverbrian and Gardy in the same place at the same time?

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    This was pretty well covered at the end of March on all the media outlets as to why he's DH'ing over playing 1B for the most part. Also, I'll be in Las Vegas in May if you'd like to meet to place a legal wager on that 120 loss prediction.
    Not interested in media outlets. The Morneau excuses sound a lot like "bilateral leg weakness". When you come to Las Vegas, bring money. Plenty of opportunities to make legal wagers.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span, CF
    Mauer, C
    Morneau, DH
    Willingham, RIGHT FIELD
    Parmelee, 1B
    Burroughs, 3B
    Carroll, SS
    Casilla, 2B

Two right-handed bats against Weaver. I have nothing against Carroll batting second, but Mauer was born to bat second, obviously.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post

Answer this, has any of us ever seen Riverbrian and Gardy in the same place at the same time?
    You might be onto something because I know that I haven't.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Span, CF
    Mauer, C
    Morneau, DH
    Willingham, RIGHT FIELD
    Parmelee, 1B
    Burroughs, 3B
    Carroll, SS
    Casilla, 2B

Two right-handed bats against Weaver. I have nothing against Carroll batting second, but Mauer was born to bat second, obviously.
    Call me crazy, but I'm leery about not having a left fielder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast