Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dingger no. 9 tonight... Calling NBR

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    Dingger no. 9 tonight... Calling NBR
    Yeah, and Rosario's doing pretty good too. Both need defensive work but it would be nice to see them move up to A+. Esp since we have so few big time prospects.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they both keep at it like this, I would not be surprised if they are promoted to FTM when the short seasons start.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    If they both keep at it like this, I would not be surprised if they are promoted to FTM when the short seasons start.
    Not happening, have you seen their defensive stats?
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    The better coaches are in Ft. Myers. They should be working those issues there.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He hit #10 tonight, by the way.

He'll have plenty of chances to hit more in Beloit too.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #11 today.
    He knocked out a 3 run shot to Right Field in the 3rd inning off Ambioris Hidalgo just after Wang-Wei Lin and JaDamion Williams both singled.
    He now has 35 RBI's.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinstein View Post
    #11 today.
    He knocked out a 3 run shot to Right Field in the 3rd inning off Ambioris Hidalgo just after Wang-Wei Lin and JaDamion Williams both singled.
    He now has 35 RBI's.
    Wow. I'm not sure how much longer we can keep him in Beloit. I was hoping to go down there next month to see him but now, might have to go sooner.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Wow. I'm not sure how much longer we can keep him in Beloit. I was hoping to go down there next month to see him but now, might have to go sooner.
    If he was DH I could see your arguement, but here is an interesting stat For every homer he has hit he has commited an errorr.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    If he was DH I could see your arguement, but here is an interesting stat For every homer he has hit he has commited an errorr.
    Agreed, he has to learn to field his (a) position. He is too young to already pigeon hole him into the DH role. He's young, let him learn the game. Both in the field and at the plate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Playing third in Beloit is no different than Ft. Myers, he can work on his defense anywhere in pro ball. Besides, they have better instructors and coaches in Ft. Myers.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Playing third in Beloit is no different than Ft. Myers, he can work on his defense anywhere in pro ball. Besides, they have better instructors and coaches in Ft. Myers.
    Have to agree, don't see much benefit to keeping in a low A, when he can learn just as much in the field at Ft. Myers and hopefully continue to advance his game against some better hitters. His value to the Twins will probably never be from his glove, so they best make sure they nurture the bat in every way possible. He seems to be the kind of hitter that we haven't seen come along here for a long time.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again, I agree that defense can be worked on as he moves up... but his strikeout rate will not improve by being pushed up too quickly, will it? How about his baseball instincts? Tom Kelly said he didn't knwo a lot about positioning, where to be, some basics. He's hitting, but there is so much more to this game.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Again, I agree that defense can be worked on as he moves up... but his strikeout rate will not improve by being pushed up too quickly, will it? How about his baseball instincts? Tom Kelly said he didn't knwo a lot about positioning, where to be, some basics. He's hitting, but there is so much more to this game.
    Well, you may have seen him more than me, but the strikeout rate may be inflated because pitchers are pitching around him and he's trying to make something happen. Maybe that's not happening, but the walk rate seems to be pretty inflated to. If that is the case, they are hurting his development by leaving him in low ball as he's likely to learn a bad habit. Guys with his kind of talent come along so rarely that I think teams need to treat them differently than they would typically. I'm not sure instincts is the right word to use, since instincts can't be learned, can they? I would agree that some of that knowledge on positioning, etc. comes with experience though. From my perspective though, if he's mashing, you put up with a lot of bad defense and push on. I worry a lot more about a guys glove if he hits like Valencia or Plouffe has with the Twins (or coming up in the system for that matter).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For selfish reason I would like Sano to stay in Beloit for another month. The trip is set and the hotel has been booked. The family and I will be going to Appleton, WI on June 10th and watch the Snappers as they are bing hosted by the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. If Sano and/or Rosario are gone by then I will be a little hurt but expect to have a great time anyway.

It's a small sample size, but Sano's strikeout rate has been much better in May, let's hope that continues. Just taking K/(AB + BB):

April: 32/(87+18) = 30.5%
    May: 8/(43+4) = 17.0%

The May number is not realistic longer term, but if his strikeout rate is in the low 20's with his power, that would be good to see. Hopefully he gets to Ft. Myers this year but I can understand if they want to keep him at Beloit for the full year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is exactly what I would look for with him, and that is encouraging. Now I'd give him until the end of the month and see if that K-rate is still under 25%... if so, it may be time to promote!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    That is exactly what I would look for with him, and that is encouraging. Now I'd give him until the end of the month and see if that K-rate is still under 25%... if so, it may be time to promote!
    Apparently the likely time for his move up is IF/When Beloit clinches first half title, which would be Middle of June. Also, the Twins could leave him in Beloit this year if they want him to play Competitively for something. This has happened many times in the MWL before. Fort Myers isn't going anywhere

Another thing to consider is the pitching he has seen. He has proven that he can hit off slow throwing relievers and starters. It will be interesting to see how he does against Tyrell Jenkins, Drew Gangon and Austin wood. I would like to see him against Archie, Syndergaardm Nicolino or Sanchez but they don't play them.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Sano is ready for the promotion. The defensive issue will follow him wherever he goes in the minors so the point is moot. Ft. Myers' coaching staff could help him a lot more than the coaches in Beloit. His strikeout rate looks lower overall this year (despite the rk to low A jump) and it hasn't been too big a problem in May thus far. A callup would do much more good than harm to his growth.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast