Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official sano HR thread

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting fact is that he is the Midwest league leader in HR SO and BB.... I know it's easy to knock the plate disciplin for having a lot of strikeouts but with an OBP of over 400 and OPS of Over 1100... That's an elite prospect if he maintains the SOs can be overlooked

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First two doubles of his season tonight!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    First two doubles of his season tonight!
    Four bases and an rbi... Can we count that as one?

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kane county has pitched down and away to sano after hitting his 3rd homer against them last Tuesday. I was watching the game from the box and Everything was down or away, other than the hanging curve that they left up in the zone and he hit it to dead left. Sano has also started to draw intentional walks including a few from KC and Clinton. Pitchers in the MWL are affraid to pitch to him, but that does not mean that he will be moving up by the end of the year.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Well, I think the Twins are foolish to leave him in low A if the Pitchers aren't going to throw him any strikes. If that continues for another month and he proves he can lay off those pitches, they certainly should promote him and let him face pitchers that will throw him strikes. He's not going to get better watching pitches every at bat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Well, I think the Twins are foolish to leave him in low A if the Pitchers aren't going to throw him any strikes. If that continues for another month and he proves he can lay off those pitches, they certainly should promote him and let him face pitchers that will throw him strikes. He's not going to get better watching pitches every at bat.
    I probably agree but keep in mind they also want him to improve his defense. Let's see where he is in a month. If they still aren't challenging him, then send him up. But he is still striking out a bunch so they are giving him some problems.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he has enough defensive flas to keep him in A ball the whole year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find Miguel Sano's strike out rate very alarming. Even Mark Reynolds, the mlb strike out king, did not strike out this much when he was a prospect.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I find Miguel Sano's strike out rate very alarming. Even Mark Reynolds, the mlb strike out king, did not strike out this much when he was a prospect.
    I see your argument, but I think it is really important to remember that Reynolds (and several other strikeout kings) was a college-seasoned 22 year old playing high-A ball, not an 18 year old kid in low-A. The Miguel Cabrera comparison doesn't quite hold up for strikeouts either. While Miggy struck out much less, he also only hit 7 home runs (with a .709 OPS) as an 18 year old in Kane County.

It's been a while since he's hit one. 12 games or something like that? I suppose it's hard to keep that rate up... Even Willingham hasn't hit one in a long time; although, he almost got one last night.

Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    It's been a while since he's hit one. 12 games or something like that? I suppose it's hard to keep that rate up... Even Willingham hasn't hit one in a long time; although, he almost got one last night.
    Hitting one in a long time isn't a problem. Teams have been pitching around him even throwing intentional walks. They just dont want to pitch to him and when they do it is stuff on the out side corner and half of the "strikes" should be balls....

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RinaldiPhotos View Post
    Hitting one in a long time isn't a problem. Teams have been pitching around him even throwing intentional walks. They just dont want to pitch to him and when they do it is stuff on the out side corner and half of the "strikes" should be balls....
    This has been my assumption. Do you get to watch the games, or have you seen reports confirming this? If so, does it make sense for Sano just to keep laying off and taking walks, or is the rest of lineup just not going to make the opposition pay?

This has been my assumption. Do you get to watch the games, or have you seen reports confirming this? If so, does it make sense for Sano just to keep laying off and taking walks, or is the rest of lineup just not going to make the opposition pay?
    I have been to around 6-7 Beloit games so far maybe more. The umpires this league in the MWL aren't that good but thats not Sanos problem. The only stat that I saw is 6 home runs and for all I know what I have said can be completly wrong but it is what I believe. He has tremendous power to the opposite field, he hit a ball over the deck and into the field kiddy corner to the foul pole the other night.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. 7 tonight... Little bit of a cold spell huh? He must have been sick of all thise EBHs

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
    I don't know if this is true, but his walk rate has doubled this year while his strikeout rate has remained the same. This would tell me they are pitching around him, which also tells me keeping him in Beloit is not going to help his development. He's not going to improve much if he's not getting challenged by pitching that more closely matches his skill level.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oops spoke a little soon... No. 8 tonight as well it was a double header

Sano was a beast tonight. Was at the games tonight, along with the 2 homers he added a single, a double and cleared the benches "big timing" his 2nd HR; which was the game winner.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Kernels probably should have pitched around him, too. Though I guess in a way, they did... he got pretty much nothing but off-speed pitches. When he did get a fastball, it was seldom anywhere near the strike zone. I'm inclined to agree with nicksaviking... he's not going to get challenged by the MWL pitchers at this point. It may not hurt him to stick around Beloit through the fist half of the season, but anything beyond that is probably a waste of time. He's not a good defensive ballplayer, but he can work on that just as easily in Fort Myers as Beloit.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today Sano got a 4 pitch walk, didn't even take the bat off his shoulders. Really looking forward to a matchup of him vs. Cardinals top pitching prospect Tyrell Jenkins in a few weeks Tyrell throws damn near 100

Is Miguel good enough now that we can start saying, he's so good it's Insano?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast