Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/11): Schedule Plus

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/11): Schedule Plus

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, I am too tired to comment except to express my gratitude for the pleasure that you provide every time you post a minor league report.

Ditto.

Yup. Only 3 things I must do each day: eat, sleep, read the minor league report. Thanks to all of you that contribute to this!

Miles - Completely agree. This is reading that goes with my morning coffee every morning. Love it Seth, keep up the great work!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Kernels game took 3 hours and 37 minutes to play last night. It's just dangerous to take that long to play a 9 inning game on $2 beer night.

Dayton scored 13 runs on "just" 11 hits. Kernels pitchers walked 10 guys.

Jim Ecker had the game story for MSR (click here for the link) and you can pretty much feel the frustration Jake Mauer is experiencing.

"We get back in the game and we give it back, get back in the game and give it back," said Mauer. "It's not acceptable. We scored nine runs and we got pounded."

"It's unfortunate. You waste a game when you score nine runs."

"You've got to go out there and you've got to compete," he said. "It's your day. You just have to do it once a week. That's all we ask."

"If it keeps going the way it is, we're going to have to make changes and get different guys up here."

I will say this, though, it's fun to watch the Kernels hitters. The last two nights they've been fighting uphill, but they aren't getting cheated on their swings. Mike Radcliff's in town for this homestand and he's got to be impressed with what he's seeing of the hitters. Maybe not so much, so far, with the pitching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Seth, I am too tired to comment except to express my gratitude for the pleasure that you provide every time you post a minor league report.
    Thank you!! I enjoy it, but last night was a full night of games. Ha!

Blog Entries
    SDBuhr, I read Jim's article last night, so I'm glad you posted the link to it here. The quotes were quite telling, to say the least. It's not like Jake to go off like that too often, so you know it was likely heard loud and clear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    "If it keeps going the way it is, we're going to have to make changes and get different guys up here."
    How about Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers?? I wonder if they would consider that. Though, I definitely like the idea of keeping their innings down the rest of this year pitching out of the bullpen, especially since both played on teams that went to the College World Series. Maybe just have them ready to start for the playoffs?!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Eades and Slegers. Limit thier innings so they can contribute in the playoffs for the Kernels. Maybe even Stewart if he happens to make it to E'Town and E'Town fails to make the playoffs (not likely with coach Smith). The Kernels have solid, but inconsistent pitching. When they are bad - they are bad. I agree with Coach Mauer when he questions thier ability to compete on a daily basis. Too many hitters counts for opposing hitters. Attack the Zone!!!

On another note - I saw the Adam Brett Walker HR on Kernels Youtube Highlights and it was a missle. Got out Quick!! He also had three BB's - (Good for him). Announcer during game made it sound like he almost had another HR in his only out of the game. Harrison had 3 BBs as well. July 11, 2013 Highlights vs.Dayton - YouTube

The Kernels game took 3 hours and 37 minutes to play last night. It's just dangerous to take that long to play a 9 inning game on $2 beer night.
    The outdoor barbaque closes at 8:30, it was only the bottom of the 5th.
    The official time of 3:37 minutes seems like an abreviated time, I thought
    it was 4 hours when I left. Maybe the game started late. I took a cat nap around inning 7 and the usher told me he felt the same way about the game.

I feel for Dalton Hicks day, his day looked real frustrating, more from the results than from the effort. Aside from hitting the other teams pitcher, he had a critical throwing error because he tried to turn 2 with the bases loaded, throwing behind the runner and the ball ended up in left. The next play,.. play hit to same position, but he took the easy out at first. Earlier he came up just short on dive for a ball that ended up as a double. Lot of effort and mostly just bad results to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Announcer during game made it sound like he almost had another HR in his only out of the game.
    Yeah, he hit a ball to almost straight away center that the CF caught up with. It really wasn't that close to being a HR in that part of the park, but it was hit a long way.

The 3 walks sound impressive, but Delmon Young might have walked 3 times the way pitchers were approaching the strike zone last night. From both teams.
    Last edited by 108 Double Stitches; 07-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.

I agree with the fother posters about how great this feature is. Could I offer one suggestion, though? I think it would be great if you always included Buxton and Sano's stat lines in the write ups. It would save me the trouble of checking the Ft Myers and New Britain box scores, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people who, like me, are wondering about those two.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dayton scored 13 runs on "just" 11 hits. Kernels pitchers walked 10 guys.

Jim Ecker had the game story for MSR (click here for the link) and you can pretty much feel the frustration Jake Mauer is experiencing.

"We get back in the game and we give it back, get back in the game and give it back," said Mauer. "It's not acceptable. We scored nine runs and we got pounded."

"It's unfortunate. You waste a game when you score nine runs."

"You've got to go out there and you've got to compete," he said. "It's your day. You just have to do it once a week. That's all we ask."

I will say this, though, it's fun to watch the Kernels hitters. The last two nights they've been fighting uphill, but they aren't getting cheated on their swings. Mike Radcliff's in town for this homestand and he's got to be impressed with what he's seeing of the hitters. Maybe not so much, so far, with the pitching.
    A somewhat amazing, but all-too-familiar story. Although Cedar Rapids is #4 in W-L overall in the Midwest League, they rank 12th in ERA, at 4.22. In hitting, the Kernels are #1 in BA, OBP, SLG, and of course, OPS.

Going up the organization, we all know the Ft Myers has the highest winning percentage in all of baseball at .640 (55-31). And again, they are leading the FSL in BA, OBP, SLG and of course, OPS. But the pitching staff is still just middle of the road, ranking 5th in ERA (3.62 in a "pitchers league") out of 12 teams in the League.

New Britain is ranked 6th in OPS, as well as 6th in ERA (4.03), in a 12-team league, and that's with the addition of some very good arms added to the roster in 2013.

Rochester is ranked 11th in a 14-team league in ERA (4.44) and 8th in OPS (.736).

Going down the organization, although not necessarily statistically significant yet, but worth mentioning that both E-Town and the GCL Twins are ranked 3rd in their respective leagues in ERA.

Bottom line, Jake Mauer's complaint is justified, there's much work left to do in acquiring and developing arms if the Twins hope to be relevant and competitive again.
    Last edited by jokin; 07-12-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    How about Ryan Eades and Aaron Slegers?? I wonder if they would consider that. Though, I definitely like the idea of keeping their innings down the rest of this year pitching out of the bullpen, especially since both played on teams that went to the College World Series. Maybe just have them ready to start for the playoffs?!
    I've been curious what the Twins would do with Eades this summer. I know conventional wisdom is they want to use college pitchers out of the pen after drafting them to limit their innings, but I seem to recall that Eades didn't really get abused this spring like some major college arms.

I know I looked up Slegers at one point, too, but I don't recall what I found out (and I'm feeling too lazy to do the research again).

The Kernels have Lee, Atherton, Melotakis and Berrios starting the last 4 games of this homestand, beginning tonight. I'd be shocked if those four guys don't give Mauer and the team much better starts than has been the case the last 2 nights.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~