Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dozier Watch

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Agreed. They absolutely should not make a move this early. They need to let the season play out a little bit. Obviously Jamey Carroll is going to get some hits this year and continue to play terrific defense (minus the dive that could have been a DP yesterday). Joe Mauer will hit over .150. They will have more than 3 players hit over .200.
    Yeah we also need to give Casilla a chance to prove himself. He's only had what...5 seasons worth of chances?
    Last edited by righty8383; 04-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At this point, I'd leave Dozier down in AAA at least until we find out if Plouffe/Parmalee/Doumit/Valencia/Burroughs/Hughes are going to hit at all this year. It's not fair to Dozier if he gets brought up into a situation where he'll be expected to be the third or fourth best hitter on the team right out of the gate. Too much pressure, and you might get another Sean Burroughs...hot young prospect who flames out after three disappointing major league seasons and takes years to even get back to the majors level.

If we want Dozier to be our SS for many years, don't treat him like a "quick fix".

I think whether Casilla should have been given another chance is debatable but at this point they need to let this play out. Let's see where they are at in a month.

As a practical matter, there is no way they are going to give up a year of team control over Dozier at this point, nor should they.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jim Mandelaro -- the Rochester Democrat Chronicle's Red Wings beat writer -- tweeted that Brian Dozier "tweaked" his back in the game on Monday but stayed in the game only to hit a 2-run HR.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian Dozier will be a guest on tonight's SethSpeaks Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast, starting at 9:00 central time.

Listen Live here!

Liked 1,053 Times in 475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    I think whether Casilla should have been given another chance is debatable but at this point they need to let this play out. Let's see where they are at in a month.

As a practical matter, there is no way they are going to give up a year of team control over Dozier at this point, nor should they.
    I have no idea whether or not Dozier is ready, or whether he's currently an improvement over Carroll, but team control in 2018 shud play no role in this decision. None.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I have no idea whether or not Dozier is ready, or whether he's currently an improvement over Carroll, but team control in 2018 shud play no role in this decision. None.
    I disagree... I'm of the opinion that this team will win between 74-78 games this year. They aren't making the playoffs. So, if they need to hold off a promotion for 2 more weeks, I'm perfectly fine getting that additional entire year when we hope that the team will be contending again!

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm of the opinion that this team will win between 74-78 games this year. They aren't making the playoffs. So, if they need to hold off a promotion for 2 more weeks, I'm perfectly fine getting that additional entire year when we hope that the team will be contending again!
    If this team is about to win 74-78, they better have a huge "For SALE" sign out there and start listening to offers for pretty much everyone who is over the league minimum (and to some of them - Valencia) at this point and start rebuilding. Span might bring a nice haul back if he does not get exposed much this season...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If this team is about to win 74-78, they better have a huge "For SALE" sign out there and start listening to offers for pretty much everyone who is over the league minimum (and to some of them - Valencia) at this point and start rebuilding. Span might bring a nice haul back if he does not get exposed much this season...
    As much as I want a winning team this year, I have to believe this team was built on the "cheap" to have a chance (if all things went right) to contend. If not, they are built to sell for rebuilding. I'm actually okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

My biggest fear with this team this year is the same fear as last year, they are barely good enough to be contenters and don't sell by the deadline. We need prospects who are close to MLB ready in this system, the only way to do that is trade your pending FA's. Smith didn't have a clue how to do that last year. Let's hope TR figures it out this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    I disagree... I'm of the opinion that this team will win between 74-78 games this year. They aren't making the playoffs. So, if they need to hold off a promotion for 2 more weeks, I'm perfectly fine getting that additional entire year when we hope that the team will be contending again!
    I think what Chief is saying is that Dozier isn't the caliber of player that you keep in the minors to delay a big payday one year because simply put, he isn't going to be Strasburg or Bryce Harper.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I think what Chief is saying is that Dozier isn't the caliber of player that you keep in the minors to delay a big payday one year because simply put, he isn't going to be Strasburg or Bryce Harper.
    Bingo!....

Look, by May Day, if the season's a trainwreck, we can begin the fire sale, and bring up Dozier, AS WELL AS, 3B Sano (he should have 20 homers by then), 2B Rosario, and Benson, Hicks, etc., and any arms you can find in the minors who do a good impersonation of starting pitchers. It would make the Twins interesting again. Detroit-Dombrowski is showing the Twins how to get a return on investment.

Liked 1,053 Times in 475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I would be absolutely thrilled if Brian Dozier was due a big payday somewhere far off in the future. That possibility wouldn't even cross my mind today. Nor for that matter would Carroll's or Camilla's playing time. Nor would I give a second thought to Plouffe, Hughes, or any other player currently in the organization. IF I thought Dozier was ready he'd be here playing every day.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 595 Times in 322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sotafan View Post
    My biggest fear with this team this year is the same fear as last year, they are barely good enough to be contenters and don't sell by the deadline. We need prospects who are close to MLB ready in this system, the only way to do that is trade your pending FA's. Smith didn't have a clue how to do that last year. Let's hope TR figures it out this year.
    Ryan gets it, if the team is toast by June he'll be working the phone pretty hard, I have no doubt about that.

Don't understand the big rush on Dozier, especially after only 4 games. I'm not a huge fan of Casilla but this team isn't going to contend this year so why waste a year with Dozier, Hughes will be playing second before long and we can bring up Dozier late season to get some big league at bats before next season. Carroll is clearly the utility man on this team next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Right, but Carroll is old, Casilla is brittle and the weather is cold. Those factors combined could lead to an early promotion due to a pulled hamstring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12