Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/10): Stewart Impresses

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/10): Stewart Impresses

The most important part of Jeter's rehab was that he butt-tapped James Beresford. According to James, anyway.

twitter.com/JamesBeresford2

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana -
    If anyone has seem him play a few games, I would love a report on his defense. I have heard that his glove is supposed to be good but he has had a lot of errors this year.

For a SS his bat looks passable. Not much power, not much walks but doesn't strike out much. He seems to be a decent at putting the ball in play.

If his defense at SS is average, he could be a good player for the Twins, but his bat is not strong enough to have too much value at 3B or 2B. Will he play there most of his minor league career at SS but then get the majors and fail defensively like the current guy at 3B?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Cody, I seem to recall that Hendriks had a minor 'clean up' preocedure on his elbow last winter. Is that correct? If so, like Diamond and Worley, he may not have been 100% at the start of the season. That was confirmed when he wasn't pitching well and went on the DL with an arm problem. If that enabled him to get fully healthy and he is now back to the pitcher we all expect, throw his hat back in the ring and a September callup is likely. Is he the pitcher who comes up when Gibson is shut down at whatever innnings limit he has?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Cody, I seem to recall that Hendriks had a minor 'clean up' preocedure on his elbow last winter. Is that correct? If so, like Diamond and Worley, he may not have been 100% at the start of the season. That was confirmed when he wasn't pitching well and went on the DL with an arm problem. If that enabled him to get fully healthy and he is now back to the pitcher we all expect, throw his hat back in the ring and a September callup is likely. Is he the pitcher who comes up when Gibson is shut down at whatever innnings limit he has?
    Hendriks had his elbow cleaned up, just like Worley, Diamond, etc. It's amazing to m how so many seem to have given up on him when he's still just 24 years old. With how well he's pitching, he should be the next one to come up when needed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Another route for Hendriks could be the bullpen, perhaps the Sawrzak role. His biggest issue is he struggles to turn a lineup over multiple times.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Hendriks had his elbow cleaned up, just like Worley, Diamond, etc. It's amazing to m how so many seem to have given up on him when he's still just 24 years old. With how well he's pitching, he should be the next one to come up when needed.
    I'm not so sure it's given up, but just skeptical. He had great Triple-A results last year, and it didn't translate into MLB success. And his Triple-A numbers this year are not as good as last year. Right now he seems to be right about where Worley and Hernandez are statistically, and all are behind Albers.

I guess I'd like to seem him float to the top at Rochester before giving him another shot, although if another sudden injury situation calls for a spot-start and he has the most rest I can see him going.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I'm not so sure it's given up, but just skeptical. He had great Triple-A results last year, and it didn't translate into MLB success. And his Triple-A numbers this year are not as good as last year. Right now he seems to be right about where Worley and Hernandez are statistically, and all are behind Albers.

I guess I'd like to seem him float to the top at Rochester before giving him another shot, although if another sudden injury situation calls for a spot-start and he has the most rest I can see him going.
    Everyone needs to stop looking at Hendriks' numbers this year and understand why they are what they are. He was pitching with an injured arm early in the season, thus, disregard those stats. Since his first start back from the DL, we are seeing the pitcher he was in 2012. Did the experiences he lived through last year help him become better in his next big league trial? If so, he could be a solid starter for a long time.

Junior Member Rookie Collin Kottke's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Soooo... there has to be a way to get Chris Colabello on the big league squad, right? We all are painfully aware of how the Twins are doing.

seth, its not giving up on hendriks , but you have to look at there pitches , hendriks , worley or diamond & especially albers does not have any plus pitches..they all rely on location & a large strike zone from the umpire, thats why they can look good at times & then like garbage at times & its not going to change..a guy like gibson will succeed long term because he has big league stuff, if you watch gibson pitch you see the pitches, the movement & you say wow, you watch any of the listed above & there is absolutely nothing that jumps at you....the twins better hope they got something in the lower levels coming in the next couple years because there is nothing in AAA absolutely nothing..

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Albers should be the next though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, Albers is the next one up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everyone needs to stop looking at Hendriks' numbers this year and understand why they are what they are. He was pitching with an injured arm early in the season, thus, disregard those stats. Since his first start back from the DL, we are seeing the pitcher he was in 2012. Did the experiences he lived through last year help him become better in his next big league trial? If so, he could be a solid starter for a long time.
    Hendriks had not had any success in the major league even when he had no arm problem and was lights out in the minor league. 1 win out of 20+ starts in the major league? That's just amazing. He's been given a lot of opportunities in the past. He is still young, age is on his side.
    Last edited by jun; 07-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post
    No, Albers is the next one up.
    Doubtful. Unfortunately front offices look at more than stat lines.
    Papers...business papers.

Albers and Collabello were named to the AAA allstar game. Albers last game was his first bad start in his past 9. He deserves the next callup. Terry Ryan has praised him as Rochesters best starter this year, so we'll see if he's added to the 40 man. If he is I wonder who is dropped from it or if there will be a trade.
    Last edited by robbie111; 07-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin Kottke View Post
    Soooo... there has to be a way to get Chris Colabello on the big league squad, right? We all are painfully aware of how the Twins are doing.
    Remember this date, July 19th
    Thats double bobble head night,
    The joe and Justin bobble head
    We wont ruin a promotion ,
    that we have already ordered and paid for,
    Just to promote some guy from AAAA to win a couple games

So look for him to be up by the end of july....

Free Chris