Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Did Liriano's injury or the Twins changing his delivery diminish his effectiveness?

  1. #1

    Did Liriano's injury or the Twins changing his delivery diminish his effectiveness?

    What happened to Frankie Franchise from 2006 that had a 2.16 ERA, 12 Wins, 4.1 WAR, and "Wowed" us with his 93-95 mph fastball and 88 mph slider? Did his injury or Tommy John Surgery change his motion, delivery, arm speed, mental makeup, or something else that has left him varying between effective and very hittable? Or did the Twins trying to smooth out his violent pitching motion after surgery change one of the aforementioned components of pitcher's motion. Either way, something has changed with Francisco, and I don't believe he will ever come close to 2006 again.

    Can Liriano "WOW" us again like 2006? Can he throw that upper 80's slider again that made even the best hitters look foolish?

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Devils Advocate - is it possible that the Liriano version 2006 was a fluke?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Devils Advocate - is it possible that the Liriano version 2006 was a fluke?
    I'd say no. For one thing, he had a fantastic 2010 as well, especially looking at peripheral stats. For another, even in a terrible overall year like last year, you can see how good he was in starts like the no-hitter and more so the "near" perfecto. Watching how filthy he is when he's going well, seeing how bad he makes hitters look, and looking at things like contact rates and fielding-independent pitching, etc that back up those observations make it clear he CAN be that good.

    Now, if by a fluke you mean that he held it together for a full season without showing the wild inconsistency that has become his calling card of sorts, then maybe. Perhaps we would have seen it had he been able to finish the year.

    But he clearly CAN be that good. If only....he would be?

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I'd say no. For one thing, he had a fantastic 2010 as well, especially looking at peripheral stats. For another, even in a terrible overall year like last year, you can see how good he was in starts like the no-hitter and more so the "near" perfecto. Watching how filthy he is when he's going well, seeing how bad he makes hitters look, and looking at things like contact rates and fielding-independent pitching, etc that back up those observations make it clear he CAN be that good.

    Now, if by a fluke you mean that he held it together for a full season without showing the wild inconsistency that has become his calling card of sorts, then maybe. Perhaps we would have seen it had he been able to finish the year.

    But he clearly CAN be that good. If only....he would be?
    What I mean is, is it possible that Liriano was pitching way over his head in 2006? Most MLB hitters had never seen him before. We know he put up dynamite minor league numbers, but so did Kevin Slowey, and I don't think anybody expects Slowey to become an ace. So which Liriano is the outlier, 2006 or 2011? I think it's somewhere in the middle, and Liriano was never really as good as his 2006 numbers.

  5. #5
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    In 2006 Lirano possessed one of the most devestating sliders in all of baseball. That pitch alone produced the numbers that he put up. Batters would have to think about it and it made his fastball and other pitches more effective.

    I don't know if it's true or not but rumor is... That same devestating slider was a main reason for his arm problems.

    Since the surgery that slider has not been the same and until it comes back to form. He will have to find another approach to returning to 2006 status. He still has a good slider but it was really realy nasty in 2006.

    I also don't know personally but another rumor is that he goes through stretches where he doesn't trust his stuff. It's a head thing from time to time with Francisco.

    In reality, we are talking about two different pitchers. The 2006 Version was a completely different animal and if that guy was still around without injury. He'd be in the same room as Verlander and Halladay. The Twins would have their #1 and contract time would be very interesting.

  6. #6
    Liriano's arm pre-TJ was super-human, an other-worldly talent the likes of which is very rare. While other pitchers may come back even "better than ever" from TJ surgery, very few have gone under the knife risking the kind of ability Liriano had. That said, he had an awful lot to lose with his rebuilt ligament. It was a next to impossible task to think an arm with as much electricity as he had would be able to get back to that level ever again.

    But how many times have heard that Liriano gets too "amped-up" or some type of variation? As was the case on Saturday, striking out the side in the first inning was no indication of how the rest of his start would go. That's what's frustrating about watching Liriano. He seems equally as likely to strike out the side on 9 pitches as he is to having a 38 minute inning in which he gives up 5 hits, 2 BB, & 6 runs. In the same game, even.

    Liriano seems to be way too much of a headcase for my liking. I believe the Twins were down 2-0, runners on the corners and nobody out. Liriano fields a come-backer, and instead of getting the runner from third going home (be broke on contact), Liriano wheels and throws to 2nd base. Inexcusable to give away a run like that. That is just an example of one play, but it just seems like the guy doesn't get it. And he's been in The Bigs way too long by now not to. One of my favorite baseball coaches always used to say, "Baseball's a game of inches, boys. The six between your ears!"

    Wasn't it just last spring when Liriano showed up for Training Camp and it was discovered that he had not been doing his off-season "maintenance stuff" and the staff felt he showed up completely ill-prepared? This is another reason Liriano frustrates me. Guy seems like he goes about his business very unprofessionally. When his left arm was a lightning bolt he may have had enough raw ability to get by on that alone. Time to face the facts that Liriano V2006 is long gone. And it seems as though Modern-Day Liriano hasn't figured out how to get by with less than his best stuff.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    I think that data helps always. Look here first:

    Look at 2005 and 2006 vs the rest (not 2012 which is just few innings). The major differences are in the %contact (Frankie v1 missed more bats than Frankie v2) and Swinging Strike %. Frankie V1 had more swinging strikes than Frankie v2.

    Second piece of data here:

    Frankie V1 averaged a 94-95 mph FB and an 87-88 mph slider. Frankie v2 does not have that velocity. Will he regain it? We will see.

    But I think that there is enough data to show why Frankie was successful in 2005/6 and why less succesful later
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #8
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by @_2244 View Post
    Liriano's arm pre-TJ was super-human, an other-worldly talent the likes of which is very rare. While other pitchers may come back even "better than ever" from TJ surgery, very few have gone under the knife risking the kind of ability Liriano had. That said, he had an awful lot to lose with his rebuilt ligament. It was a next to impossible task to think an arm with as much electricity as he had would be able to get back to that level ever again.

    But how many times have heard that Liriano gets too "amped-up" or some type of variation? As was the case on Saturday, striking out the side in the first inning was no indication of how the rest of his start would go. That's what's frustrating about watching Liriano. He seems equally as likely to strike out the side on 9 pitches as he is to having a 38 minute inning in which he gives up 5 hits, 2 BB, & 6 runs. In the same game, even.

    Liriano seems to be way too much of a headcase for my liking. I believe the Twins were down 2-0, runners on the corners and nobody out. Liriano fields a come-backer, and instead of getting the runner from third going home (be broke on contact), Liriano wheels and throws to 2nd base. Inexcusable to give away a run like that. That is just an example of one play, but it just seems like the guy doesn't get it. And he's been in The Bigs way too long by now not to. One of my favorite baseball coaches always used to say, "Baseball's a game of inches, boys. The six between your ears!"

    Wasn't it just last spring when Liriano showed up for Training Camp and it was discovered that he had not been doing his off-season "maintenance stuff" and the staff felt he showed up completely ill-prepared? This is another reason Liriano frustrates me. Guy seems like he goes about his business very unprofessionally. When his left arm was a lightning bolt he may have had enough raw ability to get by on that alone. Time to face the facts that Liriano V2006 is long gone. And it seems as though Modern-Day Liriano hasn't figured out how to get by with less than his best stuff.
    I would always trade a run for a double play, even in a tight game. I don't think that move was inexecusable at all.

  9. #9
    "I would always trade a run for a double play, even in a tight game. I don't think that move was inexecusable at all."

    To clarify, you'd rather be down 3-0 with 2 outs & nobody on than to be down 2-0 with runners at first & second & 1 out?

  10. #10
    One run can be the difference between winning and losing. I take the sure out at home in that situation.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    505
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    28
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Y View Post
    What happened to Frankie Franchise from 2006 that had a 2.16 ERA, 12 Wins, 4.1 WAR, and "Wowed" us with his 93-95 mph fastball and 88 mph slider?
    It wasn't just 93-95 MPH fastballs and 88 MPH sliders in 2006, it was at times 95-98 MPH fastballs with movement and 90+ MPH absolutely unhittable sliders. That season was one of the sickest pure "stuff" pitching performances you'll ever see. Johan Santana won the Cy Young that year, but Frankie would have beat him for it easily if he hadn't got injured.

    Maybe that's part of the problem, he wants to be that guy again, but it's more likely it's just not there anymore after the surgery, so he needs to adjust, which I think he did in 2010. If he'd just be that version for now and in the future, that would still be pretty darn good.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by @_2244 View Post
    "I would always trade a run for a double play, even in a tight game. I don't think that move was inexecusable at all."

    To clarify, you'd rather be down 3-0 with 2 outs & nobody on than to be down 2-0 with runners at first & second & 1 out?
    Well let's see.. no guarantee the runner on 3rd is even going to break, and if he takes the time to check, the double play just ended, so you are likely looking at runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out or possibly the bases loaded, but I highly doubt you end up with runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out because they nailed the guy coming home.

    That said, speaking strictly from an odds stand point, the odds are not in your favor tha tyou get out of that inning with 1 down and runners on 1st and 2nd. Getting the DP pretty much ends the threat. If you don't want runners scoring, don't put runners on the corners with no outs, as the odds say the other team is going to score at least one run in that scenario.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Well let's see.. no guarantee the runner on 3rd is even going to break, and if he takes the time to check, the double play just ended, so you are likely looking at runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out or possibly the bases loaded, but I highly doubt you end up with runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out because they nailed the guy coming home.

    That said, speaking strictly from an odds stand point, the odds are not in your favor tha tyou get out of that inning with 1 down and runners on 1st and 2nd. Getting the DP pretty much ends the threat. If you don't want runners scoring, don't put runners on the corners with no outs, as the odds say the other team is going to score at least one run in that scenario.
    Think of it this way, purely hypothetical of course, and from a defensive standpoint: Runners on 1st & 3rd, nobody out. You can choose to move the lead runner backwards one base (to 2nd) and put an out up on the board. In a close game or if trailing, & you know you're still waiting on your bats to awaken, who in their right mind wouldn't do that? There is no downside, none, zip, zilch, zero, nada. None.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm going to guess that at least part of it is a fear that he's going to get hurt again.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I would always trade a run for a double play, even in a tight game...
    Think of it this way diehard, there are 27 outs in 9 innings, if you were to trade a run for every 2 outs your opponent would score 13.5 runs. That may be acceptable in slow pitch softball, which has 7 inning games with top teams routinely scoring over 20 runs, but not in 9 inning baseball. (Unless the game is already decided by a ton of runs and you just want to end it.)

  16. #16
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I'm going to guess that at least part of it is a fear that he's going to get hurt again.
    I agree. And he should be. With his old stuff and his old mechanics he was just too close to the edge. The human body can only withstand so much.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Posts
    354
    Like
    17
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    I wonder if this thread somehow leads back to the questions regarding the Twins medical staff. I hear repeatedly that guys coming back from TJ surgery often see their velocity increase, and most players are as good or better than prior to their surgery...Strasburg is the latest example. Liriano took way longer than "normal" to recover and his velocity dropped significantly and he's NOT the same pitcher. It seems Nathan took longer to get back to normal and his velocity was down as well. I assume there is a standard recovery plan for this surgery, does the Twins staff alter it and mess things up some how? Not saying this is the case, have no way of knowing, just looking at the circumstances and asking the question.

  18. #18
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Think of it this way diehard, there are 27 outs in 9 innings, if you were to trade a run for every 2 outs your opponent would score 13.5 runs. That may be acceptable in slow pitch softball, which has 7 inning games with top teams routinely scoring over 20 runs, but not in 9 inning baseball. (Unless the game is already decided by a ton of runs and you just want to end it.)
    That's a ridiculous way to think about it, as it's a straw man and a completely unrealistic scenario.

    With runners on 1st and 3rd and 0 outs, what are the odds that the team scores a run?
    With bases loaded and 0 outs, what are the odds for the batting team?
    With runners on first and second with one out, what are the odds?
    With a run in, and no one on with no outs, what are the odds that the team at the plate scores anymore?

    Letting that run in for the double play eliminates the big inning. Would I approach it differently in a win or die playoff game? Maybe, but stopping the bleeding is more important, and being down 2-0 or 3-0 really means little as either way, the offense is going to have to step up and do its job.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I wonder if this thread somehow leads back to the questions regarding the Twins medical staff. I hear repeatedly that guys coming back from TJ surgery often see their velocity increase, and most players are as good or better than prior to their surgery...Strasburg is the latest example. Liriano took way longer than "normal" to recover and his velocity dropped significantly and he's NOT the same pitcher. It seems Nathan took longer to get back to normal and his velocity was down as well. I assume there is a standard recovery plan for this surgery, does the Twins staff alter it and mess things up some how? Not saying this is the case, have no way of knowing, just looking at the circumstances and asking the question.
    Pretty sure Nathan's recovery followed along right on schedule.

  20. #20
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by @_2244 View Post
    Think of it this way, purely hypothetical of course, and from a defensive standpoint: Runners on 1st & 3rd, nobody out. You can choose to move the lead runner backwards one base (to 2nd) and put an out up on the board. In a close game or if trailing, & you know you're still waiting on your bats to awaken, who in their right mind wouldn't do that? There is no downside, none, zip, zilch, zero, nada. None.

    I'll assume for a second that the defense executes (not always a safe assumption and much harder to assume when there's a potential collision/no force out at the plate), but regardless, your scenario doesn't work either.

    For one, there's no guarantee that the runner on 3rd breaks for home, and I'd add that if he's doing his job, he won't until he knows where the throw is going. There's no force in play here, so he doesn't have to run. So in your scenario, if you throw it home or to 3rd, you are most likely going to endup with the bases loaded with no outs. So there's a huge downside.

    If you look him back to the bag, you've probably killed the play at 2nd and will have to hurry to make a play at first, and you definitely killed getting both runners, and you might have killed getting even one depending on the speed of the batter. Depending on the speed of the runner at 3rd, there's STILL a risk (albeit low) he scores if you try to get the runner at first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.