Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Minnesota Twins: Brian Dozier's Improved Bat Control is Encouraging

Minnesota Twins: Brian Dozier's Improved Bat Control is Encouraging

I looked at how Dozier has suddenly and dramatically improved his K/BB ratio.

From May 28 through July 7, Dozier batted .283/.394/.517. What is even more encouraging is that Dozier has a 20/20 K/BB ratio in those 37 games. This would indicate that Dozier has dramatically changed his approach at the plate and is being rewarded for it.
    You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins: Brian Dozier's Improved Bat Control is Encouraging at Yahoo! Sports.

Has Dozier finally "figured it out" or is this just a fluke of small sample size?
    I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm not sure I'd say he 'finally' figured it out. That, to me, makes it seem like he's been around for quite some time and it finally clicked. He just now has a seasons worth of games under his belt at the major league level.

We have a middle IF with an OPS over .700 who plays very good defense at 2B. I'm glad he's working out cause I've been a fan of his for a few years now and I took a lot of grief for it last year :-)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian signed baseballs for me the last two years of Spring Training. Seems like a nice young man (yeah, I'm old) and I like that he has enough power to keep pitchers and fielders honest. I've said this before but I'll repeat it--my pet peeve is seeing major league players who can't under (almost) any circumstances reach the fence. It especially galls me to see outfielders cheating in to the point that an average runner can't score from second on a single. The Twins have had a succession of these guys--Al Newman, Jeff Reboulet, a whole host of middle infield suspects, and Ben Revere and Jamey Carroll.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalTwinsfan View Post
    I looked at how Dozier has suddenly and dramatically improved his K/BB ratio.

You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins: Brian Dozier's Improved Bat Control is Encouraging at Yahoo! Sports.

Has Dozier finally "figured it out" or is this just a fluke of small sample size?
    Among the first stats to become reliable with a sample is strike out rate and walk rate. It is encouraging. If he can maintain it through about 150-200 plate appearances, it will likely be evidence of growth and change rather than fluke.

Liked 2,182 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I like that he has enough power to keep pitchers and fielders honest. I've said this before but I'll repeat it--my pet peeve is seeing major league players who can't under (almost) any circumstances reach the fence. It especially galls me to see outfielders cheating in to the point that an average runner can't score from second on a single. The Twins have had a succession of these guys--Al Newman, Jeff Reboulet, a whole host of middle infield suspects, and Ben Revere and Jamey Carroll.
    I agree on Carroll, Newman and Reboulet.

Being the huge Revere supporter that I am... I can't go along with Revere because of his incredible speed. Speed will always be a part of the game in my opinion and his speed is just to off the charts.

I agree with you on Dozier... To me it's pretty simple... If you have the power to leave the yard... You can also hit doubles in the gap and singles up the middle.

If you can leave the yard... You can hit balls squarely... If you can hit balls squarely... You can produce!!!

So... Stop swinging at what the pitcher wants you to swing at so you can hit balls squarely. It's really pretty simple. When you do that... Your production increases.

Very Hard to do though because these pitchers are quite good!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".